GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 16:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

     December 15, 2018

     December 15, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     December 16, 2018

     December 16, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Many banks charge high penalty fees on interest-bearing accounts for

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 03 Jun 2015
Posts: 81
Many banks charge high penalty fees on interest-bearing accounts for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2016, 10:34
1
1
13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

77% (02:01) correct 23% (02:21) wrong based on 753 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Many banks charge high penalty fees on interest-bearing accounts for relatively small violations of policies that are often confusingly presented to customers. These fees do not merely compensate the banks for the trivial cost and inconvenience of these violations; the fees provide enough income to allow the banks to offer free checking accounts, which do not generate interest. If checking accounts were charged a nominal annual fee, high penalty fees would be eliminated.

Which of the following would most strengthen the argument above?


A) A recent study has shown that fewer than 1% of bank customers read all the fine print on the information with which they are presented when they open an account.

B) There is widespread perception among the general public that penalty fees on interest-bearing accounts and lines of credit are unfairly high.

C) Bank customers will not close their checking accounts if a nominal annual fee is charged to the account.

D) The cost to banks of maintaining checking accounts is expected to rise considerably because of added security expenses.

E) Consumers would not pay most of their bills through online services rather than using their existing checking accounts.

_________________

Sortem sternit fortem!

SC Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1687
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Many banks charge high penalty fees on interest-bearing accounts for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2016, 22:14
We have to strengthen the idea that charging checking accounts would eliminate high penalty fees.

A) A recent study has shown that fewer than 1% of bank customers read all the fine print on the information with which they are presented when they open an account. - Incorrect. Irrelevant.

B) There is widespread perception among the general public that penalty fees on interest-bearing accounts and lines of credit are unfairly high. - Incorrect. Does not affect the argument.

C) Bank customers will not close their checking accounts if a nominal annual fee is charged to the account. - Correct. Supports the argument. If checking accounts are not closed enough revenue would flow into the bank and penal fee can be eliminated.

D) The cost to banks of maintaining checking accounts is expected to rise considerably because of added security expenses. - Incorrect. Opposite.

E) Consumers would not pay most of their bills through online services rather than using their existing checking accounts. - Incorrect. The relationship between online services and checking accounts is not stated in the argument and hence we cannot arrive at a definitive conclusion. Out of scope.

Answer: C
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 03 Jun 2015
Posts: 81
Re: Many banks charge high penalty fees on interest-bearing accounts for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 01:17
Vyshak wrote:
We have to strengthen the idea that charging checking accounts would eliminate high penalty fees.

A) A recent study has shown that fewer than 1% of bank customers read all the fine print on the information with which they are presented when they open an account. - Incorrect. Irrelevant.

B) There is widespread perception among the general public that penalty fees on interest-bearing accounts and lines of credit are unfairly high. - Incorrect. Does not affect the argument.

C) Bank customers will not close their checking accounts if a nominal annual fee is charged to the account. - Correct. Supports the argument. If checking accounts are not closed enough revenue would flow into the bank and penal fee can be eliminated.
D) The cost to banks of maintaining checking accounts is expected to rise considerably because of added security expenses. - Incorrect. Opposite.

E) Consumers would not pay most of their bills through online services rather than using their existing checking accounts. - Incorrect. The relationship between online services and checking accounts is not stated in the argument and hence we cannot arrive at a definitive conclusion. Out of scope.

Answer: C



The argument says "the fees provide enough income to allow the banks to offer free checking accounts, which do not generate interest". Per your reasoning if checking accounts are not closed how will the revenue flow since checking accounts would not generate any interest. Furthermore, if nominal fee is charged charging account how will this have a direct impact on the elimination?


Please correct me if Im wrong!
_________________

Sortem sternit fortem!

SC Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1687
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Many banks charge high penalty fees on interest-bearing accounts for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 01:42
Sash143 wrote:
Vyshak wrote:
We have to strengthen the idea that charging checking accounts would eliminate high penalty fees.

A) A recent study has shown that fewer than 1% of bank customers read all the fine print on the information with which they are presented when they open an account. - Incorrect. Irrelevant.

B) There is widespread perception among the general public that penalty fees on interest-bearing accounts and lines of credit are unfairly high. - Incorrect. Does not affect the argument.

C) Bank customers will not close their checking accounts if a nominal annual fee is charged to the account. - Correct. Supports the argument. If checking accounts are not closed enough revenue would flow into the bank and penal fee can be eliminated.
D) The cost to banks of maintaining checking accounts is expected to rise considerably because of added security expenses. - Incorrect. Opposite.

E) Consumers would not pay most of their bills through online services rather than using their existing checking accounts. - Incorrect. The relationship between online services and checking accounts is not stated in the argument and hence we cannot arrive at a definitive conclusion. Out of scope.

Answer: C



The argument says "the fees provide enough income to allow the banks to offer free checking accounts, which do not generate interest". Per your reasoning if checking accounts are not closed how will the revenue flow since checking accounts would not generate any interest. Furthermore, if nominal fee is charged charging account how will this have a direct impact on the elimination?


Please correct me if Im wrong!


Hi,

Here the revenue is through annual fee that is imposed on every checking account. Moreover the interest earned goes to the customer and not to the bank. Interest free accounts put the bank at an advantage.

The argument states that nominal fee is helpful to eliminate the penal fee. You are supposed to strengthen the argument rather than to find out how it will eliminate the penalty fee.
Senior CR Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Long way to go!
Joined: 10 Oct 2016
Posts: 1376
Location: Viet Nam
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Many banks charge high penalty fees on interest-bearing accounts for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 02:16
2
Sash143 wrote:
Many banks charge high penalty fees on interest-bearing accounts for relatively small violations of policies that are often confusingly presented to customers. These fees do not merely compensate the banks for the trivial cost and inconvenience of these violations; the fees provide enough income to allow the banks to offer free checking accounts, which do not generate interest. If checking accounts were charged a nominal annual fee, high penalty fees would be eliminated.

Which of the following would most strengthen the argument above?

A) A recent study has shown that fewer than 1% of bank customers read all the fine print on the information with which they are presented when they open an account.
Out of scope. This information does not provide any information support or against the argument. Eliminated

B) There is widespread perception among the general public that penalty fees on interest-bearing accounts and lines of credit are unfairly high.
Yes, the fees are so high, so what? Eliminated

C) Bank customers will not close their checking accounts if a nominal annual fee is charged to the account.
If the bank apply checking account fee on bank customers, bank customers will not close their checking accounts, so the bank will not lose their customers. Also, this annual fee is high enough to cover the checking account cost, so the bank could eliminate the high penalty fees. Hence, this choice clearly support the argument.

D) The cost to banks of maintaining checking accounts is expected to rise considerably because of added security expenses.
Yes, this cost is expected to rise, so what? Eliminated

E) Consumers would not pay most of their bills through online services rather than using their existing checking accounts.
Eliminated, since this choice isnot relevent to the argument
_________________

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 03 Jun 2015
Posts: 81
Re: Many banks charge high penalty fees on interest-bearing accounts for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 03:17
Vyshak wrote:
Sash143 wrote:
Vyshak wrote:
We have to strengthen the idea that charging checking accounts would eliminate high penalty fees.

A) A recent study has shown that fewer than 1% of bank customers read all the fine print on the information with which they are presented when they open an account. - Incorrect. Irrelevant.

B) There is widespread perception among the general public that penalty fees on interest-bearing accounts and lines of credit are unfairly high. - Incorrect. Does not affect the argument.

C) Bank customers will not close their checking accounts if a nominal annual fee is charged to the account. - Correct. Supports the argument. If checking accounts are not closed enough revenue would flow into the bank and penal fee can be eliminated.
D) The cost to banks of maintaining checking accounts is expected to rise considerably because of added security expenses. - Incorrect. Opposite.

E) Consumers would not pay most of their bills through online services rather than using their existing checking accounts. - Incorrect. The relationship between online services and checking accounts is not stated in the argument and hence we cannot arrive at a definitive conclusion. Out of scope.

Answer: C



The argument says "the fees provide enough income to allow the banks to offer free checking accounts, which do not generate interest". Per your reasoning if checking accounts are not closed how will the revenue flow since checking accounts would not generate any interest. Furthermore, if nominal fee is charged charging account how will this have a direct impact on the elimination?


Please correct me if Im wrong!


Hi,

Here the revenue is through annual fee that is imposed on every checking account. Moreover the interest earned goes to the customer and not to the bank. Interest free accounts put the bank at an advantage.

The argument states that nominal fee is helpful to eliminate the penal fee. You are supposed to strengthen the argument rather than to find out how it will eliminate the penalty fee.



Thanks for that explanation! Crystal clear
_________________

Sortem sternit fortem!

Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 681
Premium Member
Re: Many banks charge high penalty fees on interest-bearing accounts for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2016, 02:22
Premise: Many banks charge high penalty fees on interest-bearing accounts for relatively small violations of policies that are often confusingly presented to customers.
Premise: These fees do not merely compensate the banks for the trivial cost and inconvenience of these violations; the fees provide enough income to allow the banks to offer free checking accounts, which do not generate interest.

Conclusion: If checking accounts were charged a nominal annual fee, high penalty fees would be eliminated.

If it happens what is stated in the conclusion then the author assumes that customers who use checking accounts would use them even after the implementation.

Choice C exactly states this. Therefore CORRECT.
_________________

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 3524
Premium Member
Re: Many banks charge high penalty fees on interest-bearing accounts for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 08:10
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Many banks charge high penalty fees on interest-bearing accounts for &nbs [#permalink] 13 Sep 2018, 08:10
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Many banks charge high penalty fees on interest-bearing accounts for

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.