GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 04:45

ISB R1 results on Nov 15:

Join Chat Room for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Advice For Applicants Considering Round 2

November 16, 2018

November 16, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

Many of you may be wondering whether you should pull the trigger and apply to business school during round 2 this winter.
  • Crafting Your Post-MBA Career Goals

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

How to think about crafting your Post-MBA career goals

Master of Finance with 640 score - but where?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Master of Finance with 640 score - but where?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 06:32
Hey everyone!

I'd like to do the Masters in Finance next year (preferably spring/ summer intake if possible) with following qualifications:

- B.Sc. in Business Administration, GPA 3.25 (integrated degree program, i.e. combined placement)
- Currently employed as full-time Private Equity Consultant in large accounting/ audit firm (corporate finance department, < 1 year)
- Currently preparing for CFA level 1 exam
- GMAT: 640 (unfortunately stronger in verbal)
- TOEFL: 112

Can you recommend any suitable university for me or assess eligibility for Tier 1 business schools? Thanks!
Director
Director
S
Re: Master of Finance with 640 score - but where?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 10:19
If you are looking in the US, you can apply to Johns Hopkins, Ohio State, U Maryland, Bentley, Brandies, Santa Clara, etc. There are a myriad of choices in that score range. I'd focus on STEM programs primarily (as I assume you are international). Issue with some of these programs is the career options will be more limited there. Not sure what your goals are though.

The lower quant score might raise concern with some programs. What math/stats classes have you taken and what were your grades. This will matter to the adcoms.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 15:44
Thank you for your fast reply!

I am German, but why would you focus on STEM programs? After finishing my masters degree and CFA, I would like to do VC/ Private Equity (in the long term)

I have taken business mathematics, statistics, finance, investments, accounting, controlling, and taxation (grades ranged between A and B)

Not sure whether I want to go to the US. If so, I thought about USC Marshall or some B-school in Boston. Otherwise I’d like to go to either London or a large Asian city.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 08:24
Marlonschi wrote:

I am German, but why would you focus on STEM programs? After finishing my masters degree and CFA, I would like to do VC/ Private Equity (in the long term)

I have taken business mathematics, statistics, finance, investments, accounting, controlling, and taxation (grades ranged between A and B)

Not sure whether I want to go to the US. If so, I thought about USC Marshall or some B-school in Boston. Otherwise I’d like to go to either London or a large Asian city.

I mention STEM programs since they will give you additional time on OPT. International students are having a difficult time finding employment in the states and the extra time is valuable.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GPA: 3.56
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 08:56
Marlonschi wrote:

It all depends upon how impressive your application/story is. If they(admission committees) see a positive trend, a high going graph, chnaces are you may enter a reputed university. Work with an experienced and reputed admission consulting company and decide about the targets and devising the applications.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
The Graceful

The Graceful
----------------------------------------------------------
Every EXPERT was a beginner once...
Don't look at the clock. Do what it does, keep going
To achieve great things, two things are needed:a plan and not quite enough time - Leonard Bernstein.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 11:58
Thanks so far!

However, I‘m still struggling with my decision to do the 1-year Master in either the US or UK. Does it only make sense to do it in the US if I plan to live and work there permanently afterwards (I’m from Germany btw)?

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Master of Finance with 640 score - but where? &nbs [#permalink] 30 Aug 2018, 11:58

Master of Finance with 640 score - but where?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap