GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 03:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Masters to offset a poor undergrad GPA

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Masters to offset a poor undergrad GPA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 10:57
I graduated a year ago with a BA in Economics from a small state school. Due to family issues at the time my GPA really suffered and I graduated with a 2.26 GPA.

I now work for a company that will pay for me to get my Masters degree. Ideally I'd like to get into a top MBA program in about 5 years but I know my poor undergrad GPA is a huge obstacle. I am considering getting a MS in Applied Economics from Southern New Hampshire University to supplement my future application and offset my low undergrad GPA.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Would getting a Master's degree help with getting into a good MBA program or is it a waste of time?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GPA: 3.32
WE: Operations (Retail)
Masters to offset a poor undergrad GPA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 12:46
I can be wrong, but I don't think Master's GPA counts towards MBA stats, which schools care about. Therefore, your undergraduate GPA will weigh more. Two things you should focus to offset the low GPA are (1) high GMAT score and (2)personal essays.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Booth '21, CBS '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GRE 1: Q164 V162
GPA: 3.85
WE: Accounting (Investment Banking)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Masters to offset a poor undergrad GPA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 22:57
hey there, I am facing the same issue here. Had rather lower gpa in my undergrad (although above average), while gpa in MA is high (honors), yet I don't think MA gpa matters much. One way to offset a poor undergrad gpa is to score high in the gmat as it was suggested above.
Cheers and study hard
SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 04:02
cbil31 wrote:
I graduated a year ago with a BA in Economics from a small state school. Due to family issues at the time my GPA really suffered and I graduated with a 2.26 GPA.

I now work for a company that will pay for me to get my Masters degree. Ideally I'd like to get into a top MBA program in about 5 years but I know my poor undergrad GPA is a huge obstacle. I am considering getting a MS in Applied Economics from Southern New Hampshire University to supplement my future application and offset my low undergrad GPA.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Would getting a Master's degree help with getting into a good MBA program or is it a waste of time?

Hi,

I advise you to make something better. You can attend coffee chats and networking events with adcom. Every year, each schools announce those events. Do not hesitate to go and talk with adcom from different schools. listening from the source will benefit you.

Good luck
Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 22:20
A master's degree could help, but ideally it would be from a top-ranked institution.

I also applied with a relatively low GPA (3.1) in electrical engineering and got a master's in EE from UCLA (4.0 GPA). I ended up getting into Haas and Kellogg. I think the master's helped, but other things that went in my favor include:
1) My 750 GMAT
2) Alternative transcript of A's in classes such as econ and accounting
3) Optional essay where I took responsibility for my low GPA and highlighted more recent indicators of my academic performance

The master's GPA didn't completely make up for my low undergrad GPA, though in combination with my GMAT, it probably helped give adcoms confidence that I could thrive academically in an MBA program.

If your employer is willing to foot the bill AND you are willing to invest the time necessary to really excel at a master's program AND you are genuinely interested in the course material AND you can get your master's from a top institution, then I say go for it. Otherwise, I would agree with the other responses that there are more effective uses of your time.

cbil31 wrote:

Re: Masters to offset a poor undergrad GPA &nbs [#permalink] 16 Jul 2018, 22:20

Masters to offset a poor undergrad GPA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap