GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 06:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Mayan civilization flourished at the same time as Greek

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck '17
GPA: 2.7
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Mayan civilization flourished at the same time as Greek  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2012, 08:22
Mayan civilization flourished at the same time as Greek civilization.
Mayan civilization flourished at the same time as Greek civilization did.

(I just made up the names.)
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
GRE 1: Q800 V800

GRE 2: Q800 V800

Re: Which one is correct?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Sep 2012, 11:59
They're both correct. And sorry piyatiwari, but both of your examples are correct as well.

A comparison or other parallel structure that attributes exactly the same tensed verb to a couple of different nouns can (1) repeat the verb, (2) use a pro-verb, or (3) elide the verb. That yields three correct versions of piyatiwari's example sentence:

Jim jumped at the same time as Dwight jumped.
Jim jumped at the same time as Dwight did.
Jim jumped at the same time as Dwight.

The practical effect of this for GMAT SC is that you should look elsewhere in the sentence to eliminate answers.

ADDENDUM 1:
I guess that you saw the question below, but you didn't want to reproduce it here because it's from the OG. As it happens, the question is also in the GMAT PrepTest, so it's not banned.

Salt deposits and moisture threaten to destroy the Mohenjo-Daro excavation in Pakistan, the site of an ancient civilization that flourished at the same time as the civilizations in the Nile delta and the river valleys of Tigris and Euphrates.

A. that flourished at the same time as the civilizations
B. that had flourished at the same time as had the civilizations
C. that flourished at the same time those had
D. flourishing at the same time as those did
E. flourishing at the same time as those were

I'll let you look for an existing thread on the rest of the question, and just say now that you shouldn't worry about the difference between "at the same time as the civilizations" and "at the same time as the civilizations did," not least because you're not given that choice here.

ADDENDUM 2:
This is irrelevant to the GMAT, but may be interesting to some even so. Have you noticed that most people say "Jim jumped at the same time as me," but some people say (or more likely write) "Jim jumped at the same time as I"? The latter, arch though it sounds, is preferred by the sort of people who diagram sentences. "I," such people argue, is the subject of the elided verb "jumped." (I don't have a dog in this fight, except insofar as I mean to stubbornly defend the position I took in an argument with my mother when I was thirteen years old.)

Originally posted by MichaelS on 28 Sep 2012, 11:54.
Last edited by MichaelS on 28 Sep 2012, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2012, 19:36
Mayan civilization flourished at the same time as Greek civilization did. >> Correct

Simpler: Jim jumped at the same time as Dwight >> Wrong
Jim jumped at the same time as Dwight did >> actions are compared.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck '17
GPA: 2.7
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2012, 11:58
MichaelS, great post! This clarifies a lot for me. And by the way, I was referencing to an Official Guide question. (indirectly)

Since I thought that verb was needed, I always got these type of questions wrong. Thank you so much!
Director
Director
S
Re: Mayan civilization flourished at the same time as Greek  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 20:39
a03b wrote:
Mayan civilization flourished at the same time as Greek civilization.
Mayan civilization flourished at the same time as Greek civilization did.

(I just made up the names.)

this point of grammar is important. I know what you think because I used to think over this point many time.

I will give you a sugestion relevant to this point.

the pattern with "the same as" is comparision pattern, which contain elipsis. you can infer the correct way of expression using "the same as".

the correct pattern is
clause+the same as subject+do/did

this means the OA here is not perfect. I agree with you on this point

in og books, you will see that gmat play us on comparison with ellipsis many times. your thinking of this point will help you a lot. do not hurry to go to another question. think over this problem a gain, many times, and you will see the mastery of sc.
Non-Human User
Re: Mayan civilization flourished at the same time as Greek  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 07:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Mayan civilization flourished at the same time as Greek   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2019, 07:39

Mayan civilization flourished at the same time as Greek

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics