GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 20:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     December 13, 2018

     December 13, 2018

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

     December 14, 2018

     December 14, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

Mayor: Downtown Rosco Lake is generally a clean area, but the Monday

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 30 Apr 2018
Posts: 20
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V37
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member
Mayor: Downtown Rosco Lake is generally a clean area, but the Monday  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 05:30
7
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:12) correct 29% (01:28) wrong based on 176 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Mayor: Downtown Rosco Lake is generally a clean area, but the Monday after the Fourth of July weekend, there was twice as much trash in the streets and parks as usual. Since downtown Rosco Lake is a major tourist destination on weekends, it must be the tourists who are littering.

The mayor's argument is most called into question by which of the following, if true?

(A) Usually community volunteers go through downtown on Monday mornings, picking up litter.

(B) There is a certain correlation between tourist traffic and incidents of vandalism in many towns.

(C) During other weekends in July, there were no unusual amounts of litter.

(D) The North Shore lakefront area in Rosco Lake is rarely visited by tourists, and has almost no litter, compared to the South Shore, which is a tourist area, and has lots of rubbish lying around.

(E) The nearby town of Graylord was able to control its litter problem by instituting large fines that could be levied against litterers.

Source:Beat The GMAT
MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
Joined: 22 May 2017
Posts: 1422
Concentration: Nonprofit
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: Mayor: Downtown Rosco Lake is generally a clean area, but the Monday  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 09:02
Prethinking : The authors arguments is that the tourists are responsible for heavy littering in Downtown Rosco Lake area. Since it is the fourth of July weekend, may be the locals visited the lake area to see the fireworks and caused the littering.

(A) Usually community volunteers go through downtown on Monday mornings, picking up litter.

This option presents an information that is unrelated the authors argument. If this option is true, then the community volunteers will pick the litter as usual and doesn't have an impact on authors argument. INCORRECT

(B) There is a certain correlation between tourist traffic and incidents of vandalism in many towns.

This presents generic information of all towns and is unrelated to the authors arguments which says tourists caused the heavy littering. INCORRECT

(C) During other weekends in July, there were no unusual amounts of litter.

This aligns with the prethinking. If the local visited the lake area, they would account for the more littering and not the tourists. This weakens the authors argument.

(D) The North Shore lakefront area in Rosco Lake is rarely visited by tourists, and has almost no litter, compared to the South Shore, which is a tourist area, and has lots of rubbish lying around.

The authors argument is specific to fourth of July weekend and this option doesn't provide any information on that. INCORRECT

(E) The nearby town of Graylord was able to control its litter problem by instituting large fines that could be levied against litterers.

The authors argument is specific to fourth of July weekend and this option doesn't provide any information on that. INCORRECT

Hence option C
_________________

New project wSTAT(which Schools To Apply To?)

GMATClub School Ambassador

B-School app with GRE

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 18 Jun 2018
Posts: 251
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Mayor: Downtown Rosco Lake is generally a clean area, but the Monday  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 08:45
aroraishita02 wrote:
Mayor: Downtown Rosco Lake is generally a clean area, but the Monday after the Fourth of July weekend, there was twice as much trash in the streets and parks as usual. Since downtown Rosco Lake is a major tourist destination on weekends, it must be the tourists who are littering.

The mayor's argument is most called into question by which of the following, if true?

(A) Usually community volunteers go through downtown on Monday mornings, picking up litter.

(B) There is a certain correlation between tourist traffic and incidents of vandalism in many towns.

(C) During other weekends in July, there were no unusual amounts of litter.

(D) The North Shore lakefront area in Rosco Lake is rarely visited by tourists, and has almost no litter, compared to the South Shore, which is a tourist area, and has lots of rubbish lying around.

(E) The nearby town of Graylord was able to control its litter problem by instituting large fines that could be levied against litterers.

Source:Beat The GMAT


OA:C
Mayor's argument is generalizing one-off event as a regular activity.
The mayor's argument is most called into question by option C i.e During other weekends in July, there were no unusual amounts of litter.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: On the journey of achieving
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Joined: 06 Feb 2016
Posts: 204
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge
Re: Mayor: Downtown Rosco Lake is generally a clean area, but the Monday  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 02:20
aroraishita02 can you please post the official explanation for this question?
_________________

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: On the journey of achieving
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Joined: 06 Feb 2016
Posts: 204
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge
Re: Mayor: Downtown Rosco Lake is generally a clean area, but the Monday  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 02:24
Experts
abhimahna GMATNinja VeritasKarishma
Please guide for this question
I am unable to figure out how C would weaken the conclusion
_________________

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Dec 2014
Posts: 376
Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Re: Mayor: Downtown Rosco Lake is generally a clean area, but the Monday  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 05:06
vasuca10 wrote:
Experts
abhimahna GMATNinja VeritasKarishma
Please guide for this question
I am unable to figure out how C would weaken the conclusion


Probably this question assumes that tourists visit Rosco every weekend and this is why mayor decides that tourists are a source of litter. But option C says that on other weekends there is no litter and hence argument about tourists is weakened
_________________

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 14 Dec 2017
Posts: 519
Location: India
Premium Member
Mayor: Downtown Rosco Lake is generally a clean area, but the Monday  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 10:00
Konstantin1983 wrote:
vasuca10 wrote:
Experts
abhimahna GMATNinja VeritasKarishma
Please guide for this question
I am unable to figure out how C would weaken the conclusion


Probably this question assumes that tourists visit Rosco every weekend and this is why mayor decides that tourists are a source of litter. But option C says that on other weekends there is no litter and hence argument about tourists is weakened


Privet Konstantin1983

The question doesn't assume that tourists visit Rosco Lake every weekend but it specifically states this before the conclusion. It says "Since downtown Rosco Lake is a major tourist destination on weekends, it must be the tourists who are littering"

Option C is correct as correctly pointed by you for the reason that it clearly points out that there were no unusual amounts of litter on other weekends, hence the tourists who visit the lake on every weekend do not litter the area. Therefore it is not the tourists who are littering, we can speculate who did the littering, but that doesn't matter.


Spasiba,
GyM

P.s. hope you don't mind my Russian, Cheers!
_________________

New to GMAT Club - https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-gmat-club-need-help-271131.html#p2098335

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Dec 2014
Posts: 376
Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Mayor: Downtown Rosco Lake is generally a clean area, but the Monday  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 00:13
GyMrAT wrote:
Konstantin1983 wrote:
vasuca10 wrote:
Experts
abhimahna GMATNinja VeritasKarishma
Please guide for this question
I am unable to figure out how C would weaken the conclusion


Probably this question assumes that tourists visit Rosco every weekend and this is why mayor decides that tourists are a source of litter. But option C says that on other weekends there is no litter and hence argument about tourists is weakened


Privet Konstantin1983

The question doesn't assume that tourists visit Rosco Lake every weekend but it specifically states this before the conclusion. It says "Since downtown Rosco Lake is a major tourist destination on weekends, it must be the tourists who are littering"

Option C is correct as correctly pointed by you for the reason that it clearly points out that there were no unusual amounts of litter on other weekends, hence the tourists who visit the lake on every weekend do not litter the area. Therefore it is not the tourists who are littering, we can speculate who did the littering, but that doesn't matter.


Spasiba,
GyM

P.s. hope you don't mind my Russian, Cheers!


Privet GyMrAT!

Pozhaluista). You are welcome!

When i said "assumed" i meant that major tourist destination on weekends is the same as a place that tourists visit every weekend, not a place known as a destination but without tourists. That's all).

P.S No i don't mind your Russian). Hope to read something new soon). Cheers!
_________________

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 30 Apr 2018
Posts: 20
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V37
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member
Re: Mayor: Downtown Rosco Lake is generally a clean area, but the Monday  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 00:16
1
vasuca10 Here is an explanation that I found very helpful. Hope it helps!

The correct answer here is C, because the evidence states that downtown Rosco Lake is a tourist destination on weekends in general, but the conclusion is only addressing one specific weekend. Choice C points out that the causal connection isn't a strong one, because the same result hasn't occurred from the same situation on other weekends. Incidentally, D would be a good choice if this question was asking for a strengthener, since it helps to increase the correlation between tourists and litter. It's common for strengthen/weaken questions to have a wrong answer choice that does the opposite of what it's intended to do, so watch out for that trap!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: On the journey of achieving
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Joined: 06 Feb 2016
Posts: 204
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge
Re: Mayor: Downtown Rosco Lake is generally a clean area, but the Monday  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 17:32
aroraishita02 Hii ishita....Thanks for the explanation.....:) It was useful indeed.....Unfortunately I fell in trap and marked option D :(
_________________

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Oct 2017
Posts: 261
Re: Mayor: Downtown Rosco Lake is generally a clean area, but the Monday  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 23:21
vasuca10 wrote:
aroraishita02 Hii ishita....Thanks for the explanation.....:) It was useful indeed.....Unfortunately I fell in trap and marked option D :(
Whenever you are in a situation that 2 things exist together and argument concludes that x - - - > caused y

If you want to weaken it -
Prove the opposite or an alternate cause of the effect.
( in this question, we have an anternate cause in C. It is not the tourist who did littering, maybe it is the locals)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
_________________

Thank you =Kudos
The best thing in life lies on the other side of the pain.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Mayor: Downtown Rosco Lake is generally a clean area, but the Monday &nbs [#permalink] 16 Aug 2018, 23:21
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Mayor: Downtown Rosco Lake is generally a clean area, but the Monday

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.