GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 19:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Mays TAMU (50% scholarship) VS Smeal Penn State (Fellowship)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Penn State - Smeal (Fellowship) OR Texas a&m - Mays (50% scholarship)

• 100% [7]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Mays TAMU (50% scholarship) VS Smeal Penn State (Fellowship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 09:40
Hi all

Reaching out to help me choose between Texas A&M (Mays) and Penn State (Smeal).

I have been admitted to Mays with almost 50% scholarship and to Penn State with fellowship, which includes full scholarship + $$ monthly stipend + subsidized insurance + optional monthly payroll job at the university.

A little about me, my experience and post MBA goals - I am an international student from India with 4 years of experience in UI/UX development (portal designing, e-commerce website development et al). Post my MBA, i intend to get into product management, preferably in a Technology firm. Given the kind of experience that I have and what my post MBA goals are, which school should I go for ?

On another note, I have got my F1 visa stamped using texas i20. I need to cancel texas i20 and get the new visa again using Penn i20. Please advise whether i should go for penn given the current situation as Smeal's offer is way too lucrative. please advise !!

bb souvik101990 - need your help here
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Mays TAMU (50% scholarship) VS Smeal Penn State (Fellowship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 14:04
gopeshkhare wrote:
Hi all

Reaching out to help me choose between Texas A&M (Mays) and Penn State (Smeal).

I have been admitted to Mays with almost 50% scholarship and to Penn State with fellowship, which includes full scholarship + $$ monthly stipend + subsidized insurance + optional monthly payroll job at the university.

A little about me, my experience and post MBA goals - I am an international student from India with 4 years of experience in UI/UX development (portal designing, e-commerce website development et al). Post my MBA, i intend to get into product management, preferably in a Technology firm. Given the kind of experience that I have and what my post MBA goals are, which school should I go for ?

On another note, I have got my F1 visa stamped using texas i20. I need to cancel texas i20 and get the new visa again using Penn i20. Please advise whether i should go for penn given the current situation as Smeal's offer is way too lucrative. please advise !!

bb souvik101990 - need your help here

Hi gopeshkhare

Congrats on two admissions !

Of course you should go to to Penn State ! :)

In those circumstances, full scholarship + $$ monthly stipend + subsidized insurance + optional monthly payroll job at the university, you would be crazy not to go !

Really :)

As per top universities MBA rankings Penn State (Smeal) is better ranked than Texas A&M (Mays).

https://www.topuniversities.com/univers ... lobal/2018

As per famous US News MBA rankings again Penn State (Smeal) is better ranked than Texas A&M (Mays) :)

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... ngs/page+2

As per FT rankings Texas A&M (Mays) even didn't made in top 100, but Penn State (Smeal) is on 75. place.

Moreover, for Penn State (Smeal) Weighted salary is 119,673 and you can expect Salary percentage increase of 119%.

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... nking-2018

I have checked also Economist MBA rankings and guess what Texas A&M (Mays) was not even ranked :) but Penn State (Smeal) was, again.

Instead of that, I have compared Penn State (Smeal) with best ranked Texas MBA, University of Texas at Austin McCombs, and Penn State (Smeal) beats McCombs in Faculty quality, Increase in salary, Percentage increase on pre-MBA salary, Post-MBA salary, Breadth of alumni network and Student rating of alumni effectiveness.

To conclude, I don't see any reason why you would choose Texas A&M (Mays) over Penn State (Smeal) (since we are not talking about McCombs or Jindal, that are much better branded and recognised in Texas or worldwide ) especially keeping in mind what perks you got from Penn State (Smeal) !

Even if the offers were equal in terms scholarship, stipend, health plan etc. it would be still be questionable to go to Mays before Smeal.

I hope this helps you to decide (if there is still that question :) )

Good luck and keep us posted ! :)

Your kudos are much appreciated

Current Student
D
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Mays TAMU (50% scholarship) VS Smeal Penn State (Fellowship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2018, 07:52
With that amount of money and the schools in question, I strongly vote for you to go to Smeal. This deal is worth all the hassle of cancelling the TAMU's i20 and getting the new i20 from Smeal!

All the best!

MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Mays TAMU (50% scholarship) VS Smeal Penn State (Fellowship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2018, 16:05
Congrats :-)

Another vote for Smeal. I know it well from my regular visits in their executive programs.

1- Money is hard to sacrifice, especially in those days and it is not, for example, Ross or any big school.

2- I do not see how Mays will help you to get in Tech. But I can see Smeal does at least from its career report here:
https://mba.smeal.psu.edu/career/employment-statistics

3- The starting salaries in Smeal is higher than Mays'.

4- In Smeal, you can have good plan B if it does work for tech. You can think in Supply chain, if you are interested, as Penn state is powerhouse in that field. Always think in the schools that give good plan B.

Good luck
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Mays TAMU (50% scholarship) VS Smeal Penn State (Fellowship) &nbs [#permalink] 15 Jun 2018, 16:05

Mays TAMU (50% scholarship) VS Smeal Penn State (Fellowship)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, swbluedevil

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap