Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Startegy
Schools:Harvard, NYU Stern
 Q47  V27
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V27
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V27
Send PM
[#permalink]
hi,
thanks a lot for the repky. I opened a company on my own at an early stage of my life,succesfully ran it for some time and i think that is a great leadership experience.right?

i have been actively involved in extra cirricular activities at college level and i am recently working for an NGO?

I am writing a novel and have thought of a management model which i have thought on my own and i am currently working on it?

Of all the good b-schools i have applied, i have mentioned these things and have mentioned that i would like to do my majors in Enterpreneurship?

Will all these things have a significant impact on my applciation and will they cover my low GMAT and GPA scores, though my quant is always good?need your views on it

regards
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Please note that in the modern era the ultraelites are far more concerned with producing accomplished businesspeople than businessmen . . .

Re: starting one's own company, the value of this depends in part on how you are marketing yourself to the school. If you are selling yourself as an entrepreneur, then having previously run a rather successful company demonstrates that you have some knowledge of the demands of being a a business owner. Your story is even better if you can show how your business would have been more successful if only you had the skills/contacts/wisdom of having attended school x's MBA program. On the other hand, if you express strong interest in being a worker bee who will climb up the corporate ladder, your self-employment experience is probably less relevant.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Vikky

It is hard for me to say if the starting up a company and runing a company is leadership?. I believe it is more of entrprnshp. And it is of same difficulty to define leadrship. A leader is someone who is of good charector, motivates people and lays a path to be followed, while taking responsibilities is any effect in this path and correct it. Thats my definition. Check it out if there were any situation during the running of the firm, where you had to stand in the forefront, to set the rules, to guide your subordinates....

When writing essays, NEVER forget to give evidence. There is no point if someone writes, I posses execellent communication and leadership skills, if he does not provide any evidence. It is a MUST. Your exprnce with the NGO will act on ur favour. Your novel writing shows you have interest apart from just business (which again will differentiate from the 2445 application that these school recieve).

All in all, be true in your words, be self. Trust me, when I wrote my essays, I sort of discovered myself. And what really interests me, which school suits me etc...It really, really really re-defined my ultimates goals.

The factors will have good impact on your application, but I would never underestimate the others who would be applying. Not to discourage you, but I know a person (a very close frnd) with a 700 gmat, a business deveopment manager in china (not a chinese), who cam here to start a business from stratch and now the turn over is quite good, who was rejected by Stanford. You would never know till you apply. Give a lot of time to the essays (but gmat is prime to - it the key to the first door). Proof read your essays with your best frnds and also take a 3rd party opinion. See if their opinions match. Then revise the essays, before your final submission. Wish you good luck.

Regards
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V27
Send PM
[#permalink]
hi,
thanks for the reply.i have written in my essays that post mba i plan to restart my buisness venture and have also mentioned in the esssays how could mba would have benefitted me at that time, infact in the portion why an mba, istarted with my buisness experience onle, but i am majorly concerned with my GMAT and GPA scores, which are far less than the average of columbia?
i wonder whether i will get thru or not?any ideas about columbia

Hjort wrote:
Please note that in the modern era the ultraelites are far more concerned with producing accomplished businesspeople than businessmen . . .

Re: starting one's own company, the value of this depends in part on how you are marketing yourself to the school. If you are selling yourself as an entrepreneur, then having previously run a rather successful company demonstrates that you have some knowledge of the demands of being a a business owner. Your story is even better if you can show how your business would have been more successful if only you had the skills/contacts/wisdom of having attended school x's MBA program. On the other hand, if you express strong interest in being a worker bee who will climb up the corporate ladder, your self-employment experience is probably less relevant.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2