GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 04 Aug 2020, 18:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MBA at 35 yrs old

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.3
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
MBA at 35 yrs old  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2013, 16:51
Hello. I am prospective International Student who would very much like to get into Schulich. I meet the GPA requirement, however, I have been working for more than 10 years now. With several years as Senior Manager. Would anyone know if this is a huge concern for the Schulich Admissions Committee? Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.
Manager
Manager
Re: MBA at 35 yrs old  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2013, 02:42
susana09 wrote:
Hello. I am prospective International Student who would very much like to get into Schulich. I meet the GPA requirement, however, I have been working for more than 10 years now. With several years as Senior Manager. Would anyone know if this is a huge concern for the Schulich Admissions Committee? Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Hi,

Whether the school selects you or not is a different issue. The very first thing you need to identify whether the MBA in that school will really add value to you? Are you looking at the certificate or learning experience or brand stamp or something else.

Secondly, you need to identify how important for you to learn from the cohort? If it is important then you need to identify schools that has similar experienced cohort. Professor needs to tune his/her frequency to suit the class profile.

For me learning from cohort is crucial and will avoid any school (irrespective of it's brand value or ranking) if the cohort profile does not match my own preference. Go through the profiles of current students, speak to them, understand their problems and decide accordingly.

PS: I have no idea about Schulich and the comments above are very generic comment for selecting the best school for YOU. What might be best school for someone else may not necessarily be even good for you. Not many will have luxury to do 2 MBAs, so better select your school properly and carefully to suit YOU.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2013, 11:23
The first thing a school will ask itself is why you need an MBA at 35 and you have to explain it very clear and make a great sales pitch. It is not the same an applicant with a PhD in Genetics who wants to start its own VC firm, than someone who after finishing her BA has been working 12 years in the same position without getting a promotion. Another thing that they will wonder is if you have explored Executive MBAs and why you still think that doing a regular MBA suits you better. Make sure to understand why this route works for you.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2013, 18:54
Once you have clear ideas of all the areas mentioned by me and Ducks, you will have a much clear idea about what is best for YOU. I repeat once again, don't buy the sales pitch of the schools and their agents or the ranking. learn from them but decide yourself for your own individual condition.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: MBA at 35 yrs old   [#permalink] 27 May 2013, 18:54

MBA at 35 yrs old

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: pushpitkc