GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 10:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MBA/MiM in Europe for Indian Student

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management
Schools: WHU MBA"20
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.49
WE: Engineering (Other)
MBA/MiM in Europe for Indian Student  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 31 Jan 2018, 05:23
Hello,

I took my GMAT recently, and scored 740 (Q49, V41).
I have completed my masters in engineering, and my UG GPA is 8.42/10, and PG GPA is 9.37/10.
I have 18 months of work experience in engineering design (construction), however, I wish to change my industry, and by the time I enter b-school, I would have approx. 3 years of experience. (Current age 25, age at the time of entering course 26-27)
Also, I am an Indian male. Not, IT guy, but engineer no less.

I wish to work/settle in Europe (particularly Germany - No solid German language skills yet, but working on that), thus, I was aiming for following programs:

1. FSFM (MBA) : Primarily because of location
2. WHU (MBA) : Because required work experience is only 2 years, 3 years may give me little room, + Popularity
3. Manheim (MBA) : Top in Germany (also long shot, given the irrelevant and bare minimum work experience)

However, through multiple blog posts and experiences, I have come to an understanding that the firms in Germany are unwilling to hire the students without relevant job experience, and without fluency in German language. But these blog posts are much older, and newer posts are difficult to find.

Considering the job market as present, (and future, since I will be starting in 2019), how difficult is it to secure the job in Germany post MBA, for international student with no management experience and limited fluency in German language?

Alternatively, I will be aiming for following programs:
1. MiM at HEC Paris
2. MiM at LBS

(As per my understanding, MiM in Germany requires economy/finance background, so, no cookie for me.)

Is it better for me to go for MiM programs, aimed at students with no experience or relatively low experience (given that I do not have any management related experience, I will mostly be considered as fresher candidate), with the possibility of getting a job in general management or operation management in tech. industry? (Basically, I will try to keep myself away from IB and Consulting)
Given my not so notable performance in quant (Q49, IR 6), will it be a disadvantage in quant heavy MiM programs?

The long term goal in life, really, is not to earn more and shine with all the dollars (euros!!) but to have little more peace and somewhat work life balance (maybe only 50-60hrs per week?) by 10-15 years of career, and not die while I am shouting at some colleague.

Edit: 1

TL;DR
1. How difficult is it to secure job in Germany, for international students outside Europe, willing to completely change industry and function?
2. It seems that most of the MiM graduates go to Consulting/IB/Finance of some sort. How difficult is it to get into operations management or general management after MiM?
3. Given my not so great quant and low IR (Q49, IR 6), what impression will it make on adcoms for quant heavy MiM courses?

Originally posted by ksanchay92 on 30 Jan 2018, 01:45.
Last edited by ksanchay92 on 31 Jan 2018, 05:23, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: MBA/MiM in Europe for Indian Student  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 02:57
#

Sent from my Mi A1 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Admission Consultant
G
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 05:01
ksanchay92 wrote:
Hello,

I have completed my masters in engineering, and my UG GPA is 8.42/10, and PG GPA is 9.37/10.
I have 18 months of work experience in engineering design (construction), however, I wish to change my industry, and by the time I enter b-school, I would have approx. 3 years of experience. (Current age 25, age at the time of entering course 26-27)

I wish to work/settle in Europe (particularly Germany - No solid German language skills yet, but working on that), thus, I was aiming for following programs:

2. WHU (MBA) : Because required work experience is only 2 years, 3 years may give me little room, + Popularity
3. Manheim (MBA) : Top in Germany (also long shot, given the irrelevant and bare minimum work experience)

However, through multiple blog posts and experiences, I have come to an understanding that the firms in Germany are unwilling to hire the students without relevant job experience, and without fluency in German language. But these blog posts are much older, and newer posts are difficult to find.

Considering the job market as present, (and future, since I will be starting in 2019), how difficult is it to secure the job in Germany post MBA, for international student with no management experience and limited fluency in German language?

1. MiM at HEC Paris
2. MiM at LBS

(As per my understanding, MiM in Germany requires economy/finance background, so, no cookie for me.)

Is it better for me to go for MiM programs, aimed at students with no experience or relatively low experience (given that I do not have any management related experience, I will mostly be considered as fresher candidate), with the possibility of getting a job in general management or operation management in tech. industry? (Basically, I will try to keep myself away from IB and Consulting)
Given my not so notable performance in quant (Q49, IR 6), will it be a disadvantage in quant heavy MiM programs?

The long term goal in life, really, is not to earn more and shine with all the dollars (euros!!) but to have little more peace and somewhat work life balance (maybe only 50-60hrs per week?) by 10-15 years of career, and not die while I am shouting at some colleague.

Short and Not so sweet..
1. MBA will give you higher returns for your investment, both in terms of your career advancement and your pay package.
2. MIM (at this time) gives more job security, but the jobs you get will be lower end than those MBAs will get.

Overall, it will depend upon your personality, your networking skills and such others whether you are able to convert opportunities into confirmed jobs in either/both. As much as it is difficult to do, you will have to decide what works.

Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

Out of India? Use your Google/Skype account for free VOIP

"+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953

Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS
We take PERSONAL interest in your success.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management
Schools: WHU MBA"20
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.49
WE: Engineering (Other)

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 05:22
TheIvyLeagueEdge wrote:
ksanchay92 wrote:
Hello,

1. MiM at HEC Paris
2. MiM at LBS

Short and Not so sweet..
1. MBA will give you higher returns for your investment, both in terms of your career advancement and your pay package.
2. MIM (at this time) gives more job security, but the jobs you get will be lower end than those MBAs will get.

Overall, it will depend upon your personality, your networking skills and such others whether you are able to convert opportunities into confirmed jobs in either/both. As much as it is difficult to do, you will have to decide what works.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Fat paychecks was never a goal, nor it will be, I shall aim just enough so that I wont have to hesitate while spending those few extra euros for extra legroom seat in economy class.

The three doubts I have right now, are:
1. How difficult is it to secure job in Germany, for international students outside Europe, willing to completely change industry and function?
2. It seems that most of the MiM graduates go to Consulting/IB/Finance of some sort. How difficult is it to get into operations management or general management after MiM?
3. Given my not so great quant and low IR (Q49, IR 6), what impression will it make on adcoms for quant heavy MiM courses?
Admission Consultant
G
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 05:29
ksanchay92 wrote:
TheIvyLeagueEdge wrote:
ksanchay92 wrote:
Hello,

1. MiM at HEC Paris
2. MiM at LBS

Short and Not so sweet..

Thank you for your suggestion.

Fat paychecks was never a goal, nor it will be, I shall aim just enough so that I wont have to hesitate while spending those few extra euros for extra legroom seat in economy class.

The three doubts I have right now, are:

Q49 is not a major problem. As for the rest, I am afraid, I'll just have to repeat the corollary of what I said earlier.

Feel free to connect for more details.

Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

Out of India? Use your Google/Skype account for free VOIP

"+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953

Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS
We take PERSONAL interest in your success.

Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2018, 16:47
TL;DR
IF YOU CAN'T SPEAK THE LANGUAGE IN ANY COUNTRY THINGS WILL BE HARD FOR YOU ESPECIALLY IF MOST OF THE WORK IS DONE IN THAT LANGUAGE. I WOULD ALSO REACH OUT TO THE CAREER SERVICES AT EACH OF THE GERMAN SCHOOLS YOU ARE INTERESTED IN AND ASK THIS QUESTION DIRECTLY
CONSULTING/FINANCE ARE THE MAJOR FEEDERS FOR BUSINESS PROGRAMS, BUT THESE PROGRAMS SHOULD OFFER OPPORTUNITIES I RECOMMEND TAKING A LOOK AT THE EMPLOYMENT REPORT AT YOUR TARGET SCHOOLS, ALL OF THE INFO WILL BE THERE
YOU SHOULD BE FINE

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: MBA/MiM in Europe for Indian Student &nbs [#permalink] 02 Feb 2018, 16:47

MBA/MiM in Europe for Indian Student

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap