GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Feb 2019, 20:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

February 17, 2019

February 17, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Valentine's day SALE is on! 25% off.

February 18, 2019

February 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

We don’t care what your relationship status this year - we love you just the way you are. AND we want you to crush the GMAT!

Medical experts predict that the number of unnecessary deaths in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior SC Moderator
V
Medical experts predict that the number of unnecessary deaths in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 08:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (01:19) correct 26% (01:21) wrong based on 192 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 75 Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Medical experts predict that the number of unnecessary deaths in nursing homes will rise if the elderly resident ratio in public facilities were more numerous than ten residents for every one staff member.

A) will rise if the elderly resident ratio in public facilities were more numerous than

B) will rise if the ratio of elderly residents in public facilities is greater than

C) should rise if the elderly resident ratio in public facilities was greater than

D) would rise provided the ratio of elderly residents in public facilities is more than

E) would rise if the ratio of elderly residents in public facilities is more numerous than

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed. There may be no best or excellent answers, or there may be a few.

To live is the rarest thing in the world.
Most people just exist.

Oscar Wilde

Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Medical experts predict that the number of unnecessary deaths in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 09:47
generis wrote:

Medical experts predict that the number of unnecessary deaths in nursing homes will rise if the elderly resident ratio in public facilities were more numerous than ten residents for every one staff member.

A) will rise if the elderly resident ratio in public facilities were more numerous than

B) will rise if the ratio of elderly residents in public facilities is greater than

C) should rise if the elderly resident ratio in public facilities was greater than

D) would rise provided the ratio of elderly residents in public facilities is more than

E) would rise if the ratio of elderly residents in public facilities is more numerous than

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed. There may be no best or excellent answers, or there may be a few.

Ratio = Fraction , it can be greater than note more than, correct Answer must be (B) for the highlighted errors in other options....

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Jan 2019, 10:25
IMO it's (E).

The subject is 'The number of unnecessary deaths' and then the sentence continues into a conditional 'if' structure.

This is related to the subjunctive: If...were,...would (or vice-versa)
Eg:

If I were smart, I would get into a big school.
I would get in to a big school if I were smarter.

The structure is clearly followed in answer E, so it's right.

EDIT: Clearly, I didn't read the question correctly and jumped into random conclusions.
Apologies, people. I had just studied about the 'subjunctive' before I saw this question so I jumped on it. This is definitely not the way to approach SC questions.
Please disregard my answer above. Thanks.

Originally posted by mokiburnsred on 20 Jan 2019, 10:12.
Last edited by mokiburnsred on 20 Jan 2019, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V23
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 3: 640 Q48 V31
WE: Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Re: Medical experts predict that the number of unnecessary deaths in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 10:17
B should be the right answer

A) is Wrong because it uses plural verb "were" to modify a singular subject "Ratio"
B) is the correct answer
C) is Wrong because it uses "Should" in place of "will".Should is normally used to convey suggestions or imply mandation.He the author is implying a prediction so using "will" be a better choice.
D)is Wrong because it uses More than to modify a fraction.A fraction or percentage can only be greater never more than.
E) is Wrong because it uses More and Numerous,which have a same meaning.So this option has a redundancy issue.

Correct me if i am wrong!

Happy Learning.
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 11:34
IMO B

Meaning: Already a prediction is made, using IF conditional. Since the prediction is made in present followed by IF in present tense..All things should be in present tense.
Usage of WOULD is wrong because Predict has been used before, which already presents an assumption of something

A) will rise if the elderly resident ratio in public facilities were more numerous than ---wrong, SV issue, singular subject RATIO ..to be followed by singular verb

B) will rise if the ratio of elderly residents in public facilities is greater than--Correct, SV agree and IF is in present tense

C) should rise if the elderly resident ratio in public facilities was greater than ---Wrong, Subjunctive is followed by base verb form, and wrong usage of Tense in IF conditional

D) would rise provided the ratio of elderly residents in public facilities is more than ---wrong, change in meaning

E) would rise if the ratio of elderly residents in public facilities is more numerous than ---wrong, Would and predict---redundancy

"Press +1 KUDOS"

Be very critical of my Post
Ask as many questions of my post possible

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 20:40
"will rise" if the ration "were" makes no sense. The first one is about a future event and the second one is the ration on which the event is based, so it should not be presented in a past form. Moreover, the ration is the subject of the sentence and "were" does not agree in number with it. Lastly, the ratio can not be "more" numerous, it should be higher or lower, but numerous ratios makes no sense.

Correct answer, will expresses a sure opinion, something that it is sure to happen. "is" fits perfectly will

Same problem of A. Should expresses an event that has not happened yet. It could be used here, but it does not agree with was

Would could be used here, but "provided the ratio...is more than" change the meaning of the sentence, and furthermore is wordy and awkard.

Same problem of "numerous" as in A

B is the correct one
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 07:25
The correct usage is "if the ratio of elderly residents" and incorrect usage of resident instead of plural residents leads to elimination of options A and C. For Ratio, "greater than" should be used not "more than" as it a countable entity. Therefore the correct option is B

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 09:10
generis

I am thinking on the below lines and opting for B as the answer. Please validate.

The experts are predicting in Present (I am talking about present, past, and future) time so would is not correct usage.

Therefore C, D,and E are out .

In option A

We have S-V agreement error.

We are only left with B and therefore B is correct. It passes S-V agreement and the present+will form.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.

Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 10:32

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

• Because of the non-underlined verb predict, this sentence is established in the present tense from the beginning

• Therefore, in option A, the verb were in the underlined portion is in the wrong tense, especially because it's part of a conditional IF clause [see comments and resource link below].

• Eliminate A and any others that repeat the verb error, including C, for the verb was

• Compare the other answer choices

• Choice B corrects the IF/then and the verb error. Keep it.

• The words predict that are typically followed by the simple future tense will. Therefore, eliminate D and E.

• The correct answer is B

COMMENTS

mokiburnsred , welcome!

This opinion is impressionistic only, but conditionals are among the least-studied subjects.

I would recommend that aspirants start HERE, on this site.
That site is among the best I have found on conditionals.
Read every link.
Reading everything should take no more than 20 minutes.
Digesting and understanding the content will take longer than that.

You can search a few test prep sites. This material, though, is typically guarded jealously by prep companies.
You can find short blips about conditionals from the major test prep companies, but they do not cover 20-30% of what I think is needed.

There are five types of conditionals: Zero, Type1, Type 2, Type 3, and Mixed

For NEGATIVE conditionals (unless and if not), see dave13 's post, here..

Thanks, all, for your posts!

Yash312 and warrior1991 wrote the best answers. (warrior1991 , there's your reply to your request for feedback. :) )Kudos!

To live is the rarest thing in the world.
Most people just exist.

Oscar Wilde

Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 17:59
generis Thank you . I got your point.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Medical experts predict that the number of unnecessary deaths in   [#permalink] 21 Jan 2019, 17:59

Medical experts predict that the number of unnecessary deaths in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap