GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 May 2018, 06:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Met the Darden dream with just 17 months Indian, IT experience and 720

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Darden '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
Reviews Badge
Met the Darden dream with just 17 months Indian, IT experience and 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Feb 2018, 08:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello Friends,

The journey from GMAT to applications to B-Schools can be very intimidating for everyone, but if you were to add extenuating circumstances or some factors which don’t make you the ‘ideal fit’, it often feels an impossible task. I am sure anyone, who has ever applied to even a single B-School, agrees.

In my case, the weakest link was the 17 months of work experience I had at the time of application, that too in IT. The many well-wishers, friends and experts I had spoken to had ruled it off as an impossible feat to get into any of the top US B schools, which was my target category. However, I knew I was ready for the course and that this would be the perfect time to pursue it in my career.

Determined not to compromise on the category of institution I would pursue my MBA from, I decided to give it all in the application process, while being mentally ready to wait to invest another year for gaining experience and enhancing my profile- if the result didn’t come through this time around. However, things worked in my favor and I will be starting the MBA at Darden in the coming fall.

Here are a few things that, in my belief, worked for me:

1. STARTING EARLY
Getting done with GMAT soon, I got into the applications mind-frame much early- as early as May last year. Having time for the rigorous process played an important role in preparing everything (including myself) to extend my best chance.

2. FINDING THE RIGHT MENTOR
New to the entire process and with a profile far thinner than the class statistics (especially those carried by Indian IT applicants), I knew that I would need guidance from someone who understands the art of MBA applications. I inquired with virtually all the premiere admission consulting firms and I gained maximum confidence in my interaction with Experts’ Global- what stood out was that they spoke with me as I was a prospective ‘student’ and not a ‘client’ and that is what I needed- a firm that mentors me as a younger one! Secondly, they were very straightforward about everything- including my profile evaluation and at the same time, they encouraged me to pursue my dream.

3. PREPARING A STRONG STORY
One important aspect that I would like to highlight is that MBA applications are as much about past as they are about the future. With lower work experience than what the most applicants carry, I paid special emphasis on showcasing strong and meaningful future plans along with a feasible framework- plans which can leave a positive influence on my area of work. This aspect took much deliberation and building this story is where Expert’s Global had the best role to play. Being able to narrate the best version of my journey till date and describing the need for MBA education and my future goals together, not only helped in creating string applications, it also gave me a lot of confidence in approaching the applications and later, facing the interviews

4. APPLYING TO LARGE NUMBER OF SCHOOLS
In attempt to enhance my chances, I was quite liberal in schools selection. I applied to as many as 12 schools that synced up with my career goals

5. PREPARING RICH ESSAYS
‘Rich’ is the term that comes closest to defining my essays. There were no words wasted in decorative beginnings and endings. Each word in the essays talked about experiences, accomplishments, challenges, or aspirations. One aspect that I would like to highlight is that certain qualities that I could not show through my work experiences, I tried to show through my involvements outside my professional work. This was crucial in establishing that despite my fewer years of experience, I was ready to study in a class of much more experienced candidates.

6. PREPARING INTENSELY FOR INTERVIEWS
Out of the 12 schools I applied to, I received interview invitations from three. I knew that I had three opportunities and I worked hard on the conversion.

The result was that I converted all the three interview calls. The next few months are exciting and I look forward to joining Darden. I am thankful to the family and friends who stood by me during these demanding months and to the mentors at Experts’ Global.

To any future aspirant reading this, I will strongly recommend giving your dream a shot. You never know…! :-)

All the best!
Ameya

Originally posted by ameya0794 on 18 Jan 2018, 22:34.
Last edited by ameya0794 on 25 Feb 2018, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Re: Met the Darden dream with just 17 months Indian, IT experience and 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2018, 23:25
Can you expand on your application and essays a bit more

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Met the Darden dream with just 17 months Indian, IT experience and 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 22:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Congrats Ameya! Getting in to a top MBA program with just 1.5 years of work experience is a great achievement. Would you mind expanding a bit more on your application process? [UPDATE: User has updated her post to add important details of her application process] Can you tell us more about yourself, professional career so far, when you decided to apply for an MBA, which schools you chose to apply? How you approached essays/interviews? which factors played crucial role in getting admit call from UVA? When people read application debrief they would like to know these things. I am sorry to say that your current post appears as if written only to highlight the role your admission consultant played in your success, which is better written in Admission Consultants Reviews section, not in My MBA Journey forum.

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Re: Met the Darden dream with just 17 months Indian, IT experience and 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 23:09
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats for your exceptional achievement! Can you please share more about your goals and essays, your approach and the research you did, and most importantly your strengths what helped you get into the school in-spite of your 1.5 years IT experience?

440 to 730: If I Can, You Can Too

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 02:11
Congrats!
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 03:47
ameya0794 wrote:
Hello Friends,

The journey from GMAT to applications to B-Schools can be very intimidating for everyone, but if you were to add extenuating circumstances or some factors which don’t make you the ‘ideal fit’, it often feels an impossible task. I am sure anyone, who has ever applied to even a single B-School, agrees.

In my story, the weakest link was the 17 months of work experience I had at the time of application, that too in IT. The many well-wishers, friends and experts I had spoken to had ruled it off as an impossible feat to get into any of the top US B schools, which was my target category. However, I knew I was ready for the course and that this would be the perfect time to pursue it in my career.

With little hope and a lot of ambition, I spoke to Mayank Sir at The Experts’ Global for his advice on the matter. To this day, I am thankful to the team of Experts’ Global for a lot of things, but the most important of those was the encouragement that they offered at a time when I seriously needed it. The last few months of my life have been a very significant journey for me where I have learned the value of dedication, belief, and guidance and for this support, I would like to thank the entire team at Experts’ Global sincerely.

To any future aspirant reading this, I will strongly recommend giving your dream a shot. You never know…!

All the best!
Ameya

Most of what I had to say has already been said by others, especially Narenn

Can you share more information on your profile? How'd you approach the application process etc
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 04:43
Narenn in all of the OP's gc history this is the only post he has. It doesn't seem right to me somehow.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2018, 08:34
This post received
KUDOS
Dear sanket0217, Narenn, saswata4s, @Hatakekashi,

I have edited my post to elaborate my journey more.

Thank you for your interest in my story. Sorry, it took me a bit long to reply but it needed me to go deep down the lane of actions over the last few months. I have been a dormant GMAT Club user back since my GMAT days and it feels nice to finally share my story.

By the way, @Hatakekashi, it’s ‘her’ :grin:

Thanks everyone!
Ameya
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2018, 11:19
ameya0794 wrote:

Thank you for your interest in my story. Sorry, it took me a bit long to reply but it needed me to go deep down the lane of actions over the last few months. I have been a dormant GMAT Club user back since my GMAT days and it feels nice to finally share my story.

Thanks everyone!
Ameya

Thanks for understanding and updating the post.

12 schools .. wow that's a lot ..

I've always had male friends who were named Ameya . Congrats on your invite. Good luck girl :D

Btw it's Hatakekakashi :-D

Regards,
HK
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2018, 23:40
ameya0794 wrote:

Thanks for the update! Wish you great time at UVA. :-)

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 00:16
Hi Narenn and Hatakekakashi,

Thanks for your wishes!

I am happy to update the post in a way which will help readers more :)

Hatakekakashi, sorry for the misspell. It is correct now :grin:

Warm Regards,
Ameya
GMAT Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 11:37
ameya0794 wrote:

Thanks everyone!
Ameya

Thanks ameya0794 for your detailed update! Best of luck for your future endeavor. :thumbup:

440 to 730: If I Can, You Can Too

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 01:38
I think "5. PREPARING RICH ESSAYS
‘Rich’ is the term that comes closest to defining my essays. There were no words wasted in decorative beginnings and endings. Each word in the essays talked about experiences, accomplishments, challenges, or aspirations. One aspect that I would like to highlight is that certain qualities that I could not show through my work experiences, I tried to show through my involvements outside my professional work. This was crucial in establishing that despite my fewer years of experience, I was ready to study in a class of much more experienced candidates."
Re: Met the Darden dream with just 17 months Indian, IT experience and 720   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2018, 01:38

Met the Darden dream with just 17 months Indian, IT experience and 720

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap