Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 11:32 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 11:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [1]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
MGMAT Practice Tests/ CAT [#permalink]
Kudos
Paridhi18 wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to gauge my present performance level based on the various practice tests I have taken over the last 3-4 months.
My GMAT is scheduled for October 1, 2020, and I can really use some advice on whether I should reschedule it to the mid of October (that's the max I can push).

1. June 2020- GMAT Official practice test- 580 (Q37 V33)

2.August 15, 2020- GMAT Official practice test - 610 (Q43 V31)

3. August 23, 2020- MGMAT - 550 (Q39 V28)

4. September 02, 2020- MGMAT- 520 (Q30 V31)

5. September 10, 2020- Princeton Review - 600 (Q44 V29)

6. September 15, 2020- MGMAT- 530 (Q29 V34)

I am aiming for 710+, I am done with the quant basics (MGMAT books and GMAT Club handbook), verbal basics (MGMAT books, however still finishing SC) and have been practicing. I would really appreciate some advice on how can I get to 710+ in 15 days.

Thanks, :)

Hi Paridhi18

I was in a similar boat as you are now when I was prepping for the GMAT. What really helped me was stop thinking about a 'target' score. Have a read here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/3-years-to-a ... l#p2615348

Maybe it helps you make an informed decision.

Cheers and all the best
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: MGMAT Practice Tests/ CAT [#permalink]
Sammysat wrote:
Hi Paridhi,

I will not try to discourage you but from my experience, I guess you should reduce the pressure a bit and look for the areas you need to build strength. Start from whether you need to focus on Quant or Verbal. If quant look at the topics you need to improve on and the kind of questions you normally get wrong. Practice the identified topics very well. Look at your verbal and find out if you need to improve on RC, CR or SC. Also dig further on which topics under each section that you need to improve. Finally, assess your timeline once more and look at how realistic your target is. There are a couple of experts here that can give you better advice. I wish you all the best.
Cheers.

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you. I think I am still struggling with getting the hang of identifying my weak areas and working of them.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Paridhi18,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, most of your CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 570 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. Since these results go back several months, it's likely that you have gotten 'stuck' at this particular 'score level'. Statistically-speaking, raising a 570 to the point that you can consistently score 710+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. While I understand that you really want to be done with the GMAT in the next month, if you ultimately "need" a 710+ to apply to Business School, then THAT Score Goal has to come first - and you should consider pushing back your Test Date and application plans.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What type of study routine have you been following? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) Have you used any other study materials besides the books that you mentioned?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi,

Thanks, I understand, I think I need work my feedback loop. To answer your questions:
1. For now I have been giving over 3-4 hours a day, I can give more, but I think that may bring down the productivity. What’s your take?;
2. Other than MGMAT, I have only used the free online resources - GMAT Club, YouTube videos etc; and
3. I was planning to apply for the next academic year, in R2, to a couple of top 10 business schools, but of now that is dependent on getting a 710+ score.

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1802 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Paridhi18 wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to gauge my present performance level based on the various practice tests I have taken over the last 3-4 months.
My GMAT is scheduled for October 1, 2020, and I can really use some advice on whether I should reschedule it to the mid of October (that's the max I can push).

I am aiming for 710+, I am done with the quant basics (MGMAT books and GMAT Club handbook), verbal basics (MGMAT books, however still finishing SC) and have been practicing. I would really appreciate some advice on how can I get to 710+ in 15 days.

Hi Paridhi18,

Looking at your scores, I feel that your approach to solving questions is not very consistent. The scores are very inconsistent and it is really difficult to predict your actual level based on the scores. And getting to a 710+ in 15 days doesn't seem achievable. I am not trying to discourage you but given the time constraint, an improvement of 110 points seems very unrealistic. I would say you would need at least a month's time to get to that level provided you focus on the right parameters. Let me help you here.

The possible reasons for low score:

• Gaps in conceptual understanding
  • Lack of application of concepts
  • Both

It is important to identify the reason behind your low scores because this will help you understand where you are lagging and thereby help you work on improving that area. So, to suggest you clearly, I would need a few more details.

• Did you follow any specific approach while solving questions?
  • If yes, did the approach remain consistent?
  • Do you struggle with any topics in particular?

Answers to these questions will help me guide you in a better way. But a general approach should be to focus on the methodology. To be more precise:
  • Identify the weaker areas
  • Go through the concepts once again
  • Make sure you learn the right methodology to solve questions
  • Take sectional quizzes for every topic
  • Move to the next topic, only if you get at least 80%

Follow this approach for every topic and once you finish all the topics, start taking mocks. As you have only a month's time, you need to make sure to focus on the right topics. So, I would recommend you to make a proper study plan, organize things and then dive in. If you need any help in making a study plan or with the strategy, you can connect with me over a call and discuss the same. This would be a better way because you can provide me with the details as well and we can narrow down things quickly.

So, if you wish to connect over a call and discuss the study strategy, you can do the same using the below link. Hope it helped. Looking forward to hear from you :)

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Paridhi18,

When applying to highly-competitive Schools, you will need a high GMAT Score along along with a strong OVERALL profile AND you will need to properly 'market yourself' to each individual Program that you apply to. As such, if you have not already done so, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

From what you have described, you have been 'piece-mealing' your studies from a variety of different resources - without the structure or consistent guidance of a Full GMAT Course. All things being equal, you've done reasonably well under the circumstances - and your results are above-average. However, you're interested in a Score that's right around the 90th percentile - and that is difficult to achieve while studying in the way that you have chosen to study. This is meant to say that you likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some kind (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led). Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our site (https://www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality and budget. All things considered, you will still need several months of additional study time though, so you consider that when planning out your activities for the rest of this year.

Rich

Originally posted by EMPOWERgmatRichC on 16 Sep 2020, 21:08.
Last edited by EMPOWERgmatRichC on 17 Sep 2020, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMATWhizTeam wrote:
Paridhi18 wrote:
Hi,

Hi Paridhi18,

Looking at your scores, I feel that your approach to solving questions is not very consistent. The scores are very inconsistent and it is really difficult to predict your actual level based on the scores. And getting to a 710+ in 15 days doesn't seem achievable. I am not trying to discourage you but given the time constraint, an improvement of 110 points seems very unrealistic. I would say you would need at least a month's time to get to that level provided you focus on the right parameters. Let me help you here.

The possible reasons for low score:

• Gaps in conceptual understanding
  • Lack of application of concepts
  • Both

It is important to identify the reason behind your low scores because this will help you understand where you are lagging and thereby help you work on improving that area. So, to suggest you clearly, I would need a few more details.

• Did you follow any specific approach while solving questions?
  • If yes, did the approach remain consistent?
  • Do you struggle with any topics in particular?

Answers to these questions will help me guide you in a better way. But a general approach should be to focus on the methodology. To be more precise:
  • Identify the weaker areas
  • Go through the concepts once again
  • Make sure you learn the right methodology to solve questions
  • Take sectional quizzes for every topic
  • Move to the next topic, only if you get at least 80%

Follow this approach for every topic and once you finish all the topics, start taking mocks. As you have only a month's time, you need to make sure to focus on the right topics. So, I would recommend you to make a proper study plan, organize things and then dive in. If you need any help in making a study plan or with the strategy, you can connect with me over a call and discuss the same. This would be a better way because you can provide me with the details as well and we can narrow down things quickly.

So, if you wish to connect over a call and discuss the study strategy, you can do the same using the below link. Hope it helped. Looking forward to hear from you :)

Thank you, this approach seems constructive.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Paridhi18,

When applying to highly-competitive Schools, you will need a high GMAT Score along along with a strong OVERALL profile AND you will need to properly 'market yourself' to each individual Program that you apply to. As such, if you have not already done so, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum....

From what you have described, you have been 'piece-meaning' your studies from a variety of different resources - without the structure or consistent guidance of a Full GMAT Course. All things being equal, you've done reasonably well under the circumstances - and your results are above-average. However, you're interested in a Score that's right around the 90th percentile - and that is difficult to achieve while studying in the way that you have chosen to study. This is meant to say that you likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some kind (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led). Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our site (https://www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality and budget. All things considered, you will still need several months of additional study time though, so you consider that when planning out your activities for the rest of this year.

Rich

Thank you, I will be sure to look at it. As for the test, for now I think I will give andevoted week to the prep, push as much as I can, and in the event there is no substantial gain I will be rescheduling the test.
GMAT Club Bot