Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [55]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [25]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Re: 3 years to a 760: My strategies to help you tame the GMAT Beast! [#permalink]
Kudos
Thank you for detail debrief that inspire me a lot as a non- native.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [0]
Send PM
Re: 3 years to a 760: My strategies to help you tame the GMAT Beast! [#permalink]
SRH750 wrote:
Congratulations jayarora. Thank you for the detailed write-up. Inspiring journey. All the best for next phase.

Thanks. All the very best SRH750! Hope to see your debrief soon :)
Current Student
Send PM
ttpanda wrote:
Thank you for detail debrief that inspire me a lot as a non- native.

Thank you for your kind words. Hang in there. Consistent efforts in the right direction are the key. Feel free to reach out :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Kudos
jayarora wrote:
SRH750 wrote:
Congratulations jayarora. Thank you for the detailed write-up. Inspiring journey. All the best for next phase.

Thanks. All the very best SRH750! Hope to see your debrief soon :)

Sure Thing! :) A debrief titled "My journey to 760".
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Congratulations on your score bro! Victory well deserved \m/
Current Student
Send PM
gmatexam439 wrote:
Congratulations on your score bro! Victory well deserved \m/

Thanks for guiding me. I will never forget it! Hopefully we will meet in another country and celebrate together :)
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
jayarora wrote:

Verbal - How I improved from a V20 to a V44

By no means, I would think I am an expert in either Quant or Verbal. I just wanted to share some of the things that worked for me and I hope that some of these will help you :)

Strategies – SC

SC section tests reasoning as well. Use grammar as a tool to nail that reasoning. Specific grammar terms are not important but you need to know what is a Dependent clause, Independent clause, prepositional phrase, -ing modifier, -ed modifier, etc.

1)I strongly recommend that you read for structure and meaning together: It is a difficult skill to build but will pay off eventually. Practice this skill while reading a journal of your choice. Dissect the sentence and ask yourself what is that prep phrase doing there? What is that -ed modifier doing? Is the modifier essential to the meaning or not.

2)Read once. Avoid re-reading. This skill will help you save time in the section overall.

3)The section WILL play on meaning – common sense hat always on.

4) Get familiar with unconventional structures that are correct in formal English. You can do so by reading more formal stuff.

5)Work from deterministic errors to quality issues (latch onto stuff that is easier to identify ).

6)Resolve those myths – like to cite examples is OKAY, Being is not always wrong, Verb-ing need not always associate with the subject, etc.

7)Train your ear to understand what good quality is. If you are months away to take your GMAT, even now would be a good time to start reading books.

I am compiling my 10-page comprehensive SC notes. If it helps, I could share those with all of you.

Strategies – RC

1) Read slowly.

2) Read slowly. Yes, mentioning it twice as this strategy is so important that it warrants a second mention. However, as you move ahead with the passage while making the right connections, your speed will shoot up exponentially and the extra time spent towards the start will be more than made up for.

3) Linking back strategy: Unlike informal writings, GMAT passages are written with an intent to make sentences logically follow. Ask yourself 'Why did the author write this sentence. How does it relate to the previous sentence'.

4) Inculcate a reading habit (start today!) – wondering why many natives begin their journey with a V38 or a V40. They have good comprehension. And comprehension depends on your ability to understand what you read. Reading good quality material for 20 mins a day will help you assimilate the meaning of those ugly creepy dense RC passages lol.

5) Making notes – very personal. On my 760 attempt, I didn’t make notes barring a sentence here or there.

6) Find proof for rejecting or choosing an answer. The passage will have this information.

Strategies – CR

1)Comprehension of the stimulus first will be the key determinant. Aim for single read comprehension. Precise comprehension. It is a mini RC. So all the strategies I mentioned about RC apply.

2)Don’t obsess about pre-thinking. Having a framework is enough to get the question correct.

3)Focus on the conclusion as you evaluate each answer choice but don’t go overboard that you forget the premises:

4) Don't pick an answer till you have analyzed all choices

5) Have a strategy for each question type"
Prepare strategies especially for BOLDface and Method of Reasoning

Strategies – Quant How I improved from Q49 -> Q50

1) Precision: If you are lurking around mid 40s, you are probably missing precision. This was a key learning from me. As in Verbal, in Quant be aware of what the question is asking. A wrong understanding of the question can cost you not just the question but the time spent on it.

2) Work on "silly" mistakes. Why did you make that mistake? It is silly of us to label them as silly as they could make a difference of 20-30 points to your overall score. Would you still want to discard them as "silly"?

3)Every few words you read, write down what information or constraint do those words bring in

4)Make a note of what exactly is being asked for. GMAT will play on this.

5)For DS questions, sometimes solving the entire question is advisable (especially on the tougher questions).

Just as training with harder weight helps, try solving slightly higher difficulty questions. Although I wouldn’t recommend the same for Verbal, solving tougher third party questions helped me up my Quant game from 49 to 50.

Do not let 95 percent difficult questions in either of the sections bog you down. Even towards the end of my preparation, I was unable to solve many of them correctly. Also, some of the unofficial ones are hard only because they are illogical. However, two narrow choices on an official question have usually BIG stuff going on. Make sure you understand the nuances. Stick to official stuff only for Verbal. For Quant, try to solve harder questions from different sources.

All the best. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. Feel free to reach out to me. Happy to help.

Hello, jayarora. I came across your inspiring debrief through the Best of GMAT Club e-mail. Congratulations on earning that 99th-percentile score. We have actually crossed paths before, although it was several months ago. In fact, I see your name pop up on a regular basis, since my reply to one of your posts, on a CR question in which you questioned your pre-thinking strategy, resonated with other GMAT Clubbers, and has gone on to become one of my most popular posts. (I kid you not: someone awarded it a kudos a couple minutes before I started typing out this message.) I highlighted CR point #2 above because it sounds quite familiar. I am pleased that I may have broadened your perspective on the issue, indeed on the GMAT™ at all, in some small way. The advice you give above sounds just like the advice of a fellow tutor. Reading it enables me and others to see how a top-scoring test-taker thinks. It is kind of you to be willing to lend a hand beyond that, too. Kudos from me.

Good luck with the next step in your journey. You have earned it.

- Andrew
Current Student
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
jayarora wrote:

Verbal - How I improved from a V20 to a V44

By no means, I would think I am an expert in either Quant or Verbal. I just wanted to share some of the things that worked for me and I hope that some of these will help you :)

Strategies – SC

SC section tests reasoning as well. Use grammar as a tool to nail that reasoning. Specific grammar terms are not important but you need to know what is a Dependent clause, Independent clause, prepositional phrase, -ing modifier, -ed modifier, etc.

1)I strongly recommend that you read for structure and meaning together: It is a difficult skill to build but will pay off eventually. Practice this skill while reading a journal of your choice. Dissect the sentence and ask yourself what is that prep phrase doing there? What is that -ed modifier doing? Is the modifier essential to the meaning or not.

2)Read once. Avoid re-reading. This skill will help you save time in the section overall.

3)The section WILL play on meaning – common sense hat always on.

4) Get familiar with unconventional structures that are correct in formal English. You can do so by reading more formal stuff.

5)Work from deterministic errors to quality issues (latch onto stuff that is easier to identify ).

6)Resolve those myths – like to cite examples is OKAY, Being is not always wrong, Verb-ing need not always associate with the subject, etc.

7)Train your ear to understand what good quality is. If you are months away to take your GMAT, even now would be a good time to start reading books.

I am compiling my 10-page comprehensive SC notes. If it helps, I could share those with all of you.

Strategies – RC

1) Read slowly.

2) Read slowly. Yes, mentioning it twice as this strategy is so important that it warrants a second mention. However, as you move ahead with the passage while making the right connections, your speed will shoot up exponentially and the extra time spent towards the start will be more than made up for.

3) Linking back strategy: Unlike informal writings, GMAT passages are written with an intent to make sentences logically follow. Ask yourself 'Why did the author write this sentence. How does it relate to the previous sentence'.

4) Inculcate a reading habit (start today!) – wondering why many natives begin their journey with a V38 or a V40. They have good comprehension. And comprehension depends on your ability to understand what you read. Reading good quality material for 20 mins a day will help you assimilate the meaning of those ugly creepy dense RC passages lol.

5) Making notes – very personal. On my 760 attempt, I didn’t make notes barring a sentence here or there.

6) Find proof for rejecting or choosing an answer. The passage will have this information.

Strategies – CR

1)Comprehension of the stimulus first will be the key determinant. Aim for single read comprehension. Precise comprehension. It is a mini RC. So all the strategies I mentioned about RC apply.

2)Don’t obsess about pre-thinking. Having a framework is enough to get the question correct.

3)Focus on the conclusion as you evaluate each answer choice but don’t go overboard that you forget the premises:

4) Don't pick an answer till you have analyzed all choices

5) Have a strategy for each question type"
Prepare strategies especially for BOLDface and Method of Reasoning

Strategies – Quant How I improved from Q49 -> Q50

1) Precision: If you are lurking around mid 40s, you are probably missing precision. This was a key learning from me. As in Verbal, in Quant be aware of what the question is asking. A wrong understanding of the question can cost you not just the question but the time spent on it.

2) Work on "silly" mistakes. Why did you make that mistake? It is silly of us to label them as silly as they could make a difference of 20-30 points to your overall score. Would you still want to discard them as "silly"?

3)Every few words you read, write down what information or constraint do those words bring in

4)Make a note of what exactly is being asked for. GMAT will play on this.

5)For DS questions, sometimes solving the entire question is advisable (especially on the tougher questions).

Just as training with harder weight helps, try solving slightly higher difficulty questions. Although I wouldn’t recommend the same for Verbal, solving tougher third party questions helped me up my Quant game from 49 to 50.

Do not let 95 percent difficult questions in either of the sections bog you down. Even towards the end of my preparation, I was unable to solve many of them correctly. Also, some of the unofficial ones are hard only because they are illogical. However, two narrow choices on an official question have usually BIG stuff going on. Make sure you understand the nuances. Stick to official stuff only for Verbal. For Quant, try to solve harder questions from different sources.

All the best. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. Feel free to reach out to me. Happy to help.

Hello, jayarora. I came across your inspiring debrief through the Best of GMAT Club e-mail. Congratulations on earning that 99th-percentile score. We have actually crossed paths before, although it was several months ago. In fact, I see your name pop up on a regular basis, since my reply to one of your posts, on a CR question in which you questioned your pre-thinking strategy, resonated with other GMAT Clubbers, and has gone on to become one of my most popular posts. (I kid you not: someone awarded it a kudos a couple minutes before I started typing out this message.) I highlighted CR point #2 above because it sounds quite familiar. I am pleased that I may have broadened your perspective on the issue, indeed on the GMAT™ at all, in some small way. The advice you give above sounds just like the advice of a fellow tutor. Reading it enables me and others to see how a top-scoring test-taker thinks. It is kind of you to be willing to lend a hand beyond that, too. Kudos from me.

Good luck with the next step in your journey. You have earned it.

- Andrew

Hi AndrewN! Thank you for leaving such a wonderful and heart-warming message. I see that post has become quite popular haha, glad to know you are able to help so many GMAT Clubbers. Indeed, your reply was thought-provoking and helped me not to over-think on CR questions. Thanks for the message again, and also for the kudos ;)

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Hi Jay
Could you attach your 10 page SC comprehensive notes. It could be useful in my preparation.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
jayarora wrote:
I received my scores on earlier this week: 760 – Q50 V44 :)

Thanks for sharing such an inspiring note. Can you please share your comprehensive notes on SC? It will definitely help me in my preparation.

Can you share your experience on quant preparation? Any specific site/material/tests you recommend?
Current Student
Send PM
aviddd wrote:
jayarora wrote:

Thanks for sharing such an inspiring note. Can you please share your comprehensive notes on SC? It will definitely help me in my preparation.

Can you share your experience on quant preparation? Any specific site/material/tests you recommend?

Hi,

Yes sure. Working on it.

I think GMATClub is the best resource out there. Just do their tests and you are good to go!
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
jayarora wrote:

Up popped a notification around 1 AM Paris time ‘Your Official GMAT Online Exam Score Is Now Available’. I will be honest - As had been the case on seeing that dreaded blue screen, my heart began to thump louder than ever and my eyes were hoping not to see another dejection. With great courage, I clicked on the button to view my scores and VOILA, popped a 760! Finally, I had done it. Q50 V44 for a pretty average guy. I did not sleep that entire night. I was overwhelmed. The feeling was surreal. This exam and the journey have taught me so many lessons that are going to stick with me for a very long time, probably my entire lifetime. The emotional side, the personal side, the professional side - so many facets, each demanding a story but that’s for another time!

Sorry for the delay, but I took a week or so to introspect what was it that worked for me. Post some introspection, I came up with this debrief and want to give back to this beautiful community to which I am forever going to be grateful to :)

Hello team GMATClub, please hear my heart out and welcome to my story ? I have structured my debrief in the following way:

• Beginning the journey: 550 -> 710
  • Hitting the plateau
  • Overcoming my emotions and fears: 710 -> 760
  • General takeaways

Beginning the journey: 550 -> 710

I was in the final year of my undergrad, contemplating where I wanted to be 5-10 years post my studies. It was sometime in early 2017 when I decided to pursue an MBA and hence take the exam. Given my undergrad was in Computer Science from a college known for its coding culture, not many in my network had treaded the MBA path. Hence, I did not have much guidance and did not even know about the awesome community of GMATClubbers back then. However, I was convinced that I want to do an MBA at some point in time so I decided to prepare for the exam. I came across some blogs on the internet that talked about how the exam can be conquered in about 3 months: Little did I realize, my journey was going to be slightly longer ?. Popular websites suggested that I take an official test and then solve the Official guide end to end. So, as naïve as I was, I ordered the official guide and started reading through it as if it were a novel. An exciting chapter of my life was about to unfold.

Unplanned and unstructured, my preparation involved solving as many questions as I could. I did no analysis whatsoever. Only if I knew I was digging a grave for myself. Late in my solving spree, I did Google a question and it was then I stumbled upon GMATClub. I did not know there was such a huge community of GMAT clubbers willing to help each other! I was truly amazed. I read a few debriefs and tried to identify common threads. Since I am not a native speaker, my takeaway was to sign up for a popular online course as I had seen some amazing reviews. I spent a month on the course going over their modules. I found it way more interesting than reading the OG books. I finished the modules in two months and scheduled my GMAT.

Exam day:

Honestly, I felt the exam centers atmos :) :) phere quite daunting. It only made me more tense. As much as I tried to calm myself, I could not. Back then choosing the section wasn’t a thing. So I began with AWA and IR - I spend a lot of effort in both these sections. Trying to perfect my AWS and get every question correct on IR, I was quite exhausted when I started Quant. The first 10-15 questions were doable. However, towards the end, I saw the exam throw some difficult questions at me that I could not answer. But being as adamant as I was, I spent 6-7 minutes on a question. And still could not solve it! I spent so much time that I was rushing towards the end. As a result, I had to solve questions in a rush and this costed me a point I think. It is important to trained one's mind enough to let go of the very hard questions.

By the time I began verbal, I was drained and exhausted. I could not stop thinking about my performance in Quant! Nonetheless, the first 9 questions felt simple, especially SC. However, the test got difficult as I progressed through Q2 and Q3 and I found it hard to make my way through the tough RC and CR. I remember I had 10 mins to work through the last 10 questions. I finished in a rush, attempting most of them half-heartedly. Eventually, I saw the dreaded blue screen flash a 710 - Q49 V38. So, even though I had crossed the 700 score barrier, given my demographic the score was not enough. I came home with mixed emotions. I convinced myself I had to retake at some point. Giving up was not an option. I made a folder called ‘GMAT2’ on my PC. It was time to begin my second innings which was probably the most arduous part of the journey.

Hitting the Plateau:

This was the phase in my journey when I got busy with my full-time job, studying on-and-off. I had many conflicting priorities and my GMAT journey took a side lane.

Having realized that a 710 score was either at the borderline or below the median scores of target schools, I started to spend more time on this wonderful resource GMATClub with its vast variety of questions. I actively read debriefs of people and decided to add the Critical Reasoning Bible and Manhattan SC guide to my arsenal. I diligently maintained an error log but my focus was still on “Solving More Questions”. I used to read the book and then jump to solving hard questions in a timed manner. Big mistake! During this phase, I tried a lot of prep courses, mocks, and private tuitions in this part of my journey. (I have elucidated my experience with each of these in a follow up comment). However, my verbal score was hovering between V35-V38 across mocks and I could not make my mind to schedule the test.

Overcoming my fear and emotions: 710 -> 760

Let me address the elephant in the room then: What was it that helped me from V38 to a V44 even though I was working a full-time job, preparing three meals a day(lol, I love Indian food and can't compromise on this aspect), and working out at the same time (thanks to my gym trainer)?

• 1) MINDSET of no fear – Very important: Mindset can make a difference of 50 points if not more. Let me explain. In my earlier attempt, I went into the exam thinking that I have to get a 740+. So, my focus was on the number and it was something ingrained in my head. This was the mental pressure I had put on myself. What if I don’t get a 740? What if I won’t be able to apply this year? What will my friends and family think if I don't get that 740+ score. Every mock I took that gave me a sub-par score made me indulge in self-doubt. Going into my 760 attempt, I made myself comfortable with the uncomfortable. When my mind asked me: what if you don’t get a good score even this time? I said I would be OK applying with a 710. What if you don’t get in with a 710? I said I would be OK pursuing an alternate career path – I was anyway quite happy in my job. I had even imagined what my life would be like if I get rejected from all B-schools. It is important to visualize yourself living the worst-case scenario. Once you have made peace with it and realized that it’s not going to be the end of life, you will have NOTHING at stake in the exam. With such thoughts, I was relaxed. I had made peace with the idea of failure.
  • 2) Going back to the classroom: I found the human touch element missing in my journey. I love the classroom atmosphere and wanted to relive the experience. Having drowned in tons of books and a plethora of online prep courses, I enrolled in the July batch of ‘GMAT Intensive’. The simple yet powerful learnings were beautifully delivered by two expert instructors. (more on that later in the review section of the materials).
  • 3) Subordinating the GMAT: Yes, you read that right. After cycles of self-doubt, I understood it the hard way that GMAT is a part of your life, not your life. Interestingly, this thought was instilled in me by my gym trainer: Demoting the importance of GMAT in my life was crucial. In part, I was forced by my gym trainer. I told him I wanted to take 2 weeks off from the training. He asked me why? My reply was that this exam is important for my B-school admissions. His reply though simple yet left a lasting impression on me. He said “Now, it is this exam for which you are sacrificing your time on health. Tomorrow you will find hundred other reasons to not work out - there is excessive workload at your job, then you would say you want to get that promotion, then you would say marriage, then job interview, etc. I understand that the exam is important that demands some of your time but I don't see a reason why it should occupy all your time. Take out an hour and see you on the field tomorrow.” Although I was hesitant to accept at first, he had a valid point. Turns out that this decision helped me hold my nerves during the last 15 days of my prep :)
  • 4) The comfort of the at-home exam: As mentioned earlier, I was never a fan of test centers. Although I did face a few issues towards the end of the test, the ability to take the exam at home helped me stay calm.
  • 5) Luck: Contrary to what many may think, I believe luck is a factor in this exam. Your score could vary based on the questions you get – subjects of RC passages, types of CR questions, idioms tested on SC, etc. For example, I faced a few bold-face questions on my online exam and was quite comfortable with this question type.

Online Exam Experience:

The Check-in process was smooth. I did face some interventions by the proctor who asked me to stay in the frame while solving questions. As in my previous attempt, I faced some really hard questions in Quant towards the end but time-wise I was doing okay. I skipped the ones I knew I would not be able to solve. I remember I guessed on a couple of them. I used the last question in Quant to relax before beginning the verbal section. Then began my nemesis haha- the Verbal section. I found commonly used idioms helped me save time in SC. There were a few CR but this time I managed to finish the section on time. The long RC was a dense read but I could scrape my way through it. For the IR section, I did face some technical issues towards the end of the exam that caused me to panic and hence waste 5-6 minutes.

Overall, my 10 tips and general takeaways for someone embarking on his or her GMAT journey:

• 1) Begin with an OG diagnostic: Don’t waste the official mock to determine your starting point. It is a precious resource. Take the diagnostic to get an initial estimate of your abilities.
  • 2) Do not pick the OG AND mindlessly start solving: I made this mistake. Not only did I waste the precious questions, but I also ended up exhausting many OG questions. If you are enrolled in a course, try to apply your learnings to official questions and confirm your understanding. The number of questions is not that important. In fact, for my 760 attempt I solved fewer than a hundred questions. It is how much you can extract from each question. Spending 20 minutes per question to identify everything that is going on with it would help you build a solid foundation.
  • 3) Setup a GMATClub account: GMATClub is an awesome resource: Make an account so that every question you solve will be logged. It has pretty much all things you would need for the journey.
  • 4) Actively use GMATclub but with caution: Looking up explanations for every on GmatClub without actively reading could be a waste of time. Everyone can express his or her opinion and hence it is not surprising that many explanations (even with a high number of kudos) are not entirely correct. Either with help from experts or using your reasoning, do attempt to question every explanation you read. You can find my 100+ posts in which I tried to either provide a solution or question other explanations. Can't guarantee all my explanations are correct :lol:
  • 5) An error log is optional: It helped me move from 580 to 710 but in the final leg, I did not have one. Although I did look at the questions I answered incorrectly
  • 6) Solve questions untimed (Easy -> Medium -> Hard): Try to see how many questions you can get right in untimed conditions. Even 20 minutes per question is alright as long as you learned something new. If you achieve the skill of solving questions untimed with high accuracy, you will witness boundary blur moving from untimed to timed questions.
  • 7) Precision is the key– one word, every word. GMAT will play with words in difficult questions. One word can change the scope of the argument. One word can make an RC choice incorrect.
  • 8) Execution strategies are as important as hard skills: For example, solving initial questions quicker can allow you to spend more time on the hard ones. Solving SC quicker can give you more room when you deal with dense RC passages. Experiment with these. Play around with timing options. These can make or break a score.
  • 9) Debunk the myths - there are many of these floating around us, especially in SC. For example, like cannot be used to cite examples, due to cannot be used to provide a reason for an action, Comma +verb-ing needs to always associate with the subject etc. However, given the dynamic nature of the exam, it takes one official question in a new edition to debunk long-standing ideas. However, the good news is I felt that the official exam never played on these minor details - all options had big flaws or meaning issues.
    There is no such thing as a GMAT world. There is only the logical world. I had this misconception for a long time!
  • 10) Make a GMAT friend (not necessarily a study buddy): The ride is full of emotions. Find someone who has been through the journey or is in one. You may not discuss questions necessarily but it will help to share your experiences and gain a different perspective on things.

A high score is not necessary for everyone: In no means does this exam define intelligence. As much as we all love a high score, do not get obsessed with GMAT. It is just one data point. For some, a 600 is enough. For some, even a 780 won't make the cut. The importance of score is very subjective in one's application and only you know what score you need. Understand what your goal is but don’t keep reminding yourself about it. If you were climbing Mount Everest, would you be able to reach the top if every hour you looked at the highest peak and wondered if you could? Know your goal but just focus on the process. With consistent efforts, you will reach the goal.

The beast had pinned me down earlier, but this time I won ?
For me all the pain and all the efforts were worth it when I saw this:

Attachment:
Gmatscore.PNG

That one moment of absolute joy has a long story of perseverance behind it. I believe the exam is very, very learnable and if there is one trait needed to ace this exam it is perseverance. I know it’s a very long, emotional, and painful journey for some. If even one of you was deciding to give up but after reading my debrief decided against doing so, this debrief shall have served its purpose.

Please reach out to me via DM if you wish to talk about the specifics of the exam or anything about it in general. I understand preparing for this exam can get overwhelming. I may be able to help you with your journey.

Thanks for reading my rant and I wish you all the very best in your GMAT endeavor. Remember, there is more to life than the GMAT ?

Thank you, bb for creating this wonderful community. The journey would have been longer had it not been for GMATClub. Owe a lot to you and your team!
I would like to thank TheGMATCo, GMATNinja, @VeritasPrepKarishma, gmatexam439, ajay94, ScottTargetTestPrep and many others who are not on on Gmatclub :)

TL; DR
All I wanted to say was don’t give up. It is more achievable than you think. I want you to believe in yourself. Be patient. Keep hustling.

(Updated specific strategies for each sub section below my post. I will soon be posting a review of each of the prep courses and study materials I used since I have used a lot of them )

Heartiest congratulations brother and a very inspiring debrief indeed :)
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Congratulations! It is more like 710 --> 760 as the initial assessment without prep is only your starting point.
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
jayarora wrote:
aviddd wrote:
jayarora wrote:

Hi,

Yes sure. Working on it.

I think GMATClub is the best resource out there. Just do their tests and you are good to go!

Bro if possible, kindly share the short 10 pages notes of SC if you have and any other short notes for revising few days before examination as I am appearing for GMAT in a couple of days :)

Thanks in advance :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 808
Send PM
jayarora - thanks for such a great, detailed debrief. Possible for you to share the notes too? :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
rahulbiitk wrote:
jayarora - thanks for such a great, detailed debrief. Possible for you to share the notes too? :)

You are very welcome! I will be uploading them here very soon : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCODkOk ... A6qa4csdJw. Currently, curating the RC tips :)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
3 years to a 760: My strategies to help you tame the GMAT Beast! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Wow - awesome to see the debrief from the crazy pandemic 2020 and sort of trace it all the way to 2022 and HBS Admit! That's super awesome!
Congratulations and thank you for sharing the tips and notes!
GMAT Club Bot
3 years to a 760: My strategies to help you tame the GMAT Beast! [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts