Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Fuqua vs Ross

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72877 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Michigan Ross vs Duke Fuqua [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Oh wow - this is going to be a tough choice.... congratulations on the admits and good luck choosing. I think either way the choice won't be wrong.

P.S. Some of the placement patterns are as the result of the prior work experience. Many Tech companies prefer to hire an MBA with a tech or project management background, so rather than hiring someone with a finance background from Fuqua, they may opt in for a Tech background from Ross and vice versa. Those differences may account for a variety of elements outside of the school's reputation/power/etc.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Oh wow - this is going to be a tough choice.... congratulations on the admits and good luck choosing. I think either way the choice won't be wrong.

P.S. Some of the placement patterns are as the result of the prior work experience. Many Tech companies prefer to hire an MBA with a tech or project management background, so rather than hiring someone with a finance background from Fuqua, they may opt in for a Tech background from Ross and vice versa. Those differences may account for a variety of elements outside of the school's reputation/power/etc.

The questions I am seeking answers to are:

1. Which is a better recognized brand name between the two?
2. If anyone of them has a clear advantage over the other from the standpoint of placement into the Technology sector?
3. Being from the Indian subcontinent, how difficult would it be coping with the winters (I understand this is purely subjective and opinions may vary)
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Kushal28 wrote:
I am confused about whom to select between the two. My post-MBA goal is to get into Technology Product Management.

Similarities:
1. Both schools offer equally strong placements into the Technolgy sector.
2. Equals in terms of rankings and brand value

First- super congrats to you! These are both excellent choices! If I were you- and I think both Fuqua and Ross would suggest similarly-- I might make a list of what you value most- then rank Ross and Fuqua on each metric. The values that matter are really the ones that matter most to you. Some people would put weather as a factor-- or perhaps building a network in a certain part of the country-- and so rank each school accordingly! Include things like career management,
experiential learning, proximity to airport, whatever matters most to you! That might help you sort things a bit. Also talk to current students at each place- and if you can visit the schools again-- this time almost interviewing them-- that would help you make the best decision for you! In the end though-- it is not the GMAT club or me or any current student or alum that should make this choice for you-- it is yours alone to make! And I hope it helps to hear that I don't think you can make a bad choice as you have two superior options! Congratulations!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
StratusMBACounselor wrote:
Kushal28 wrote:
I am confused about whom to select between the two. My post-MBA goal is to get into Technology Product Management.

Similarities:

First- super congrats to you! These are both excellent choices! If I were you- and I think both Fuqua and Ross would suggest similarly-- I might make a list of what you value most- then rank Ross and Fuqua on each metric. The values that matter are really the ones that matter most to you. Some people would put weather as a factor-- or perhaps building a network in a certain part of the country-- and so rank each school accordingly! Include things like career management,
experiential learning, proximity to airport, whatever matters most to you! That might help you sort things a bit. Also talk to current students at each place- and if you can visit the schools again-- this time almost interviewing them-- that would help you make the best decision for you! In the end though-- it is not the GMAT club or me or any current student or alum that should make this choice for you-- it is yours alone to make! And I hope it helps to hear that I don't think you can make a bad choice as you have two superior options! Congratulations!!

Thanks for the response, I still have a few days left to decide.
I'll update this post once I reach a decision to help those who wander down this path in the future :-)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Kushal28 wrote:

Similarities:

I think these two schools are rather equally matched when it comes to post-MBA opportunities. You should base your decision on softer metrics: cultural fit, weather, cost of living, family, long-term location (Midwest vs. South - equally strong elsewhere), etc.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts