GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Apr 2019, 07:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Michigan Ross vs NYU Stern vs INSEAD(reapply)

new topic post reply Update application status  

What should I choose

• 50% [5]
  • 20% [2]
  • 30% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Michigan Ross vs NYU Stern vs INSEAD(reapply)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2019, 15:32
Hi All

I have been admitted to Michigan Ross and NYU Stern. Post MBA I want to enter into strategy Consulting. Currently, I'm Confused about which college to join. Between NYU and Ross, I believe Ross is a better college but somewhere I'm not satisfied with the brand value it carries. To put all of this in Context I applied to all M7 colleges, Got interviewed by Chicago and Columbia but was rejected. I do not have an option to wait an entire application year but I see INSEAD has a January intake where I could apply and based on various rankings such as Financial times it does match with few M7 colleges in terms of brand value. Please guide me if I should join Ross this year or give it a shot at INSEAD. Is INSEAD really better than Ross as claimed by various rankings? If everything being equal I would prefer a 2 year MBA over I year.

Few Stats about me:
GMAT: 750(Q49, V42, IR4, AWA4)
TOEFL: 114
Currently, work in Morgan Stanley as a Project Manager in the technology side of the bank.
Post-MBA Location: Wanted US but because of H1B visa risk not hell-bent on that. I'm open to any geography.
Indian Engineer from non-IIT college

Please help me make this decision

P.S I also have offers from McGill Canada(40% scholarship), Queen's Canada(40% scholarship), and HEC Paris but have chosen Ross over these. Feel free to comment if you feel I haven't weighed them properly
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: Booth '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Michigan Ross vs NYU Stern vs INSEAD(reapply)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2019, 17:54
ram7 wrote:
Hi All

I have been admitted to Michigan Ross and NYU Stern. Post MBA I want to enter into strategy Consulting. Currently, I'm Confused about which college to join. Between NYU and Ross, I believe Ross is a better college but somewhere I'm not satisfied with the brand value it carries. To put all of this in Context I applied to all M7 colleges, Got interviewed by Chicago and Columbia but was rejected. I do not have an option to wait an entire application year but I see INSEAD has a January intake where I could apply and based on various rankings such as Financial times it does match with few M7 colleges in terms of brand value. Please guide me if I should join Ross this year or give it a shot at INSEAD. Is INSEAD really better than Ross as claimed by various rankings? If everything being equal I would prefer a 2 year MBA over I year.

Few Stats about me:
Currently, work in Morgan Stanley as a Project Manager in the technology side of the bank.
Post-MBA Location: Wanted US but because of H1B visa risk not hell-bent on that. I'm open to any geography.

P.S I also have offers from McGill Canada(40% scholarship), Queen's Canada(40% scholarship), and HEC Paris but have chosen Ross over these. Feel free to comment if you feel I haven't weighed them properly

Hello my friend. Congrats on the admission offers! It's a good problem to have.

1) Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. So does "B-school prestige" in most cases. It is hard to compare INSEAD vs Ross/Stern directly without considering the individual factors. Based on two application seasons I feel both will have similar caliber of candidates (even though INSEAD is very international because of its location).

2) Your goal is strategy consulting. Getting into top 6-7 strategy consulting firms will not be easy at any of these schools. But I believe if you prepare well, you will land a handful of interview shots. Once you get the interview call, you compete with everyone applying to that office.. the school doesn't matter. What matters is your performance in the case+behavior interviews.

3) I'll strongly recommend that you do a 2 year program, and therefore choose between Stern or Ross. Having internships and a longer time frame helps in amount of job opportunities (2 shots at strategy consulting recruiting), and also in networking+forging strong relationships with classmates.

4) I understand that "Ross" does not have that "prestige" position in your brain because we don't hear about Univ of Michigan or Michigan Ross in India (like we do Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT). NYU has a little bit higher recall as a brand because of being in NYC. However U of Mich has a pretty strong brand across US (for various reasons - great univ, strong college sports etc) and Michigan Ross is very well respected as a business school in the industry. Having a rich benefactor like Stephen Ross has also given them a lot of funds to keep doing good stuff.
Honestly, if you think you have the caliber to get into strategy consulting if you were at Booth or Columbia, you should be able to get it at Ross as well. Ross grads are doing cool things across sectors and have a reputation of being hard-working down-to-earth people.

5) While deciding between Ross & Stern, think about the following -
-- staying in NYC (international city) vs Ann Arbor (college town)
-- Stern folks live all around New York.. Ross folks stay close to each other and school so spend more time together

6) Have a back up option for post-MBA career goal. Not everyone gets consulting (huge amount of luck is involved as well). Your 2 year experience can be much more than just getting a job. You will grow in many different ways depending on the choices you make.
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2019, 05:46
This is going to come off harsh, but put your need for prestige aside and look at the facts. You are already accepted to two schools with solid MBB+ recruiting. You are not accepted into Insead yet, and seeing how you were rejected by every m7, Insead is certainly no guarantee. What will you do if you turn down Ross and NYU and then get rejected at Insead?

Go to Ross if you want to live in a smaller city, go to NYU if you want to experience NYC. If you work for it and play your cards right, you'll get a consulting gig out of either.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2019, 09:32
ram7 wrote:
Hi All

Few Stats about me:

Hello ram7

Congrats on all admission so far :thumbup:

I would certainly prefer Stern over Ross. ;)

And I have some rankings to support that.

You have mention FT rankings, however Stern (25. globally) is better ranked there than Ross (28.):

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... nking-2019

Bloomberg also agrees with me, Stern is ranked as 14. in US and Ross is 19. :

https://www.bloomberg.com/business-schools/2018/

Bloomberg rankings is based on survey of 26,699 MBA students, alumni, and recruiters in 2018 about their goals and experiences, as well as compensation and job-placement data from each school. :idea:

I believe you consulted only US News rankings where they are almost tied, difference is one place:

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... a-rankings

Yeah INSEAD is good school for consulting, I am not sure I would choose it over Stern but I do understand why is appealing to you.
It would certainly work better for Europe employment than US.

Canadian schools are ok, HEC also, but American counterparts are better choice, there I agree with you, except if Canada/Europe are not your proffered choice for working upon graduation, due to easier visa/immigration paths.

You will have best position for recruiting from NYC.

Period.

My vote goes to Stern here :cool:

Good Luck with decision :geek: :cool:
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 06:24
Hi,

It’s a very personal decision. If you want to stay in the US long term, either Ross or Stern will get you to where you want to go. If you want to live anywhere in Europe, Insead is the strongest brand out of the lot - Stern and Ross won’t really be recognised here and you won’t have the alumni network. I would prefer a two year course over a one year course, but again you might be different. And lastly, if you don’t mind delaying for another year, you could go again next year for M7 (perhaps go all in with a great admissions consultant).

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Michigan Ross vs NYU Stern vs INSEAD(reapply)   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2019, 06:24

Michigan Ross vs NYU Stern vs INSEAD(reapply)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap