GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 09:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • MBA Admissions Consulting: Five-Day Special for Hourly Services

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

09:00 PM PST

10:00 PM PST

There’s still time to enhance your resume, essays, and applications! Avanti Prep is offering Hourly Services for a flat rate of $175 per hour (no minimum) – a significantly below-market offer for one of the most well-regarded services available.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

Military Experience

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Military Experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 15:59
I know that everyone's still focused on this year's application season, but I am looking to apply for the 2017 intake. Haas is my number one choice, along with Sloan, Anderson, Stern. I wanted to know if having military experience helps (or hurts, since it's not an industry with the same focus or tools as others) in applying to some of these top-tier schools.

I was a Surface Warfare Officer in the US Navy and did three deployments in just over four years; I am now a defense contractor doing Project Mgmt consulting for the Navy and transferred my commission to the Navy Reserves. I got out and wanted to get some time in the civilian world under my belt before I applied to schools, but I see a lot of straight-stick tech and finance jobs going to top schools, and not as many coming from the public sector. Should I be looking elsewhere to apply is my work experience a known good to admissions?

[GPA 3.65, GMAT 680-retaking soon, 6yrs total WE, PMP certified]
Personal MBA Coach Founder
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Military Experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 17:04
DonatusGrammaticus wrote:
I know that everyone's still focused on this year's application season, but I am looking to apply for the 2017 intake. Haas is my number one choice, along with Sloan, Anderson, Stern. I wanted to know if having military experience helps (or hurts, since it's not an industry with the same focus or tools as others) in applying to some of these top-tier schools.

I was a Surface Warfare Officer in the US Navy and did three deployments in just over four years; I am now a defense contractor doing Project Mgmt consulting for the Navy and transferred my commission to the Navy Reserves. I got out and wanted to get some time in the civilian world under my belt before I applied to schools, but I see a lot of straight-stick tech and finance jobs going to top schools, and not as many coming from the public sector. Should I be looking elsewhere to apply is my work experience a known good to admissions?

[GPA 3.65, GMAT 680-retaking soon, 6yrs total WE, PMP certified]

I am already starting to work with applicants for next year, so you are not too early. Military experience is definitely appreciated and it helps your application. The leadership experience you have is very hard to get in the corporate world and adcoms appreciate that.

What do you want to do after business school? There is nothing wrong with what you are doing now for work so I wouldn't necessarily change it, but depending on your goals you may want to shift your work a bit. I work with a lot of military applicants and if you are interested in talking about how we can work together on your apps, let me know.

Haas has a fun application this year, so I look forward to seeing what will be in store for next year.

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Military Experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 07:25
Hello. I am applying for the 2016 intake and all the schools you mentioned are on my list. In talking with adcoms and students from those schools, being a veteran helps. As an officer you bring an established level of leadership experience they are looking for.

Most schools I've looked into have around 5-10 veterans in their class. At first I thought it seemed a small amount and it was because few veterans apply, but as I learned more about the process I came to think it has to do with making a balanced class. The schools don't want too many veterans. I suggest applying for Round 1 or 2 when it's time so that you have a better chance of getting accepted. Since most veterans are officers you'll want to stand out by showing you have a life outside the military. Don't forget to put your volunteer work and serious hobbies into your essay.

Contact the MBA veterans clubs at each school. They can give you a lot of information tailored to the veteran experience and help you navigate the VA system if you are using any benefits. Also, all those schools on your list give you application fee waivers. You'll just need to send a copy of your DD 214 or COE.

I'm curious, why are you waiting until the 2017 intake? If it has to do with personal issues or prior obligations I understand, but if it's just the admissions process (scores, work experience) I think your stats are solid. Military work experience counts the same as civilian experience as far as requirements go. Your challenge will be to show how the skills you used are equivalent or transferrable to the job you want after you get your MBA. In your resume this would include using business terms instead of military terms. Don't expect adcoms to know how big a fleet is. For a resume review try using VMock. It's a resume assessment application (available free online) and is used by the Anderson career center as part of the process they have for students.

Depending on your career goals also look into a few other schools that actively recruit veterans. George Washington University, Kelley (Indiana), and Owen (Vanderbilt) come to mind. You can also check out this list: http://mbaveterans.com/faq/eligible-mba-programs. Also check out the Consortium, http://www.cgsm.org

Final advice, if you have time attend an MBA fair: QS MBA World Tour, Inside the MBA, and The MBA Tour.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Military Experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2016, 09:36
Schools generally love military applicants so do not feel like you are at a disadvantage. Your profile aligns just fine and you should certainly apply during the next cycle. Programs have tons of experience evaluating military candidates so as long as you put together a compelling application you should be in good shape.

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Military Experience &nbs [#permalink] 22 Jan 2016, 09:36

Military Experience

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: hanamana

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap