GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jul 2018, 15:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MIT Sloan vs London Business School (for finance industry: PE/VC/IB)

new topic post reply Update application status  

• 42% [8]
  • 57% [11]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
MIT Sloan vs London Business School (for finance industry: PE/VC/IB)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2018, 20:04
Hi,

Thanks in advance for taking your time to put your two cents in.

I've been fortunately accepted by MIT Sloan and LBS for full-time MBA program, and am trying to decide which one I should go to.
I heard most people saying that LBS if you want to work in Europe, and MIT Sloan if you want to work in the US. But, the thing is my focus is not the geography, but rather a post-MBA career industry. Simply put, I want to see which school has a better chance to get me a full-time job in Private Equity industry, and IB for the second best. (doesn't really matter if it's in Europe or the US). Considering my consulting background, I know it will be extremely hard to get into PE, but just want to see which one will put me in slight advantage.

I have an undergrad degree from an IVY League, and many of my friends working in Wall Street tell me that it will be almost impossible to get into PE even with MIT Sloan MBA, and that MIT Sloan has a lack of presence in finance industry overall. (although it is definitely possible to get into IB). I wanted to hear broader opinions on this matter of MIT Sloan and fiance industry, and also since I have no one working in London finance industry, I would be grateful if someone can tell me about LBS's presence in London/Europe's finance industry.

Best,
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Re: MIT Sloan vs London Business School (for finance industry: PE/VC/IB)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2018, 04:22
Hi,

I work on the buyside in London, here's a couple of things you might want to consider.

(1) Consulting (-> MBA) -> MM PE is not an impossible transition. PE isn't that big an industry and is highly coveted so you're always going to be fighting over a small number of slots but you're not totally out of the running by any means.

(2) IMO you really should consider the different geographies. London is a very, very different place to live and work than NY. The work culture here is a bit more relaxed and there's less emphasis on self-promotion/networking (from my British perspective anyway).

(3) MBAs are not a big deal over here and they're not necessary for career progression on the whole so there isn't much cred to the qualification. My impression (and that's all it is) is that MBAs are much more valued in the US than the UK (and frankly I would say there there is pretty deep scepticism here from many people). Also I would not underestimate how little people over here know, the only business schools with any general name value are HBS and Insead, and Stanford and MIT get carry over from the wider university brand.

(4) The Sloan MBA will travel much better than the LBS one. Your hiring options in London will probably be similar whichever you go to: for context my London-based firm hires 3 or so MBAs per year, and in the last 5 years 100% have been from the US or Insead. They've mainly been from Booth/Wharton/HBS/Insead but that's probably a volume thing rather than a negative perception of Sloan. But my guess is getting hired in the US from LBS would be much, much harder.

Personally I think that if employment is your only concern I would go to Sloan. The reasons to go to LBS would mainly be experience/culture (assuming you actually prefer them in London) and European network.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: MIT Sloan vs London Business School (for finance industry: PE/VC/IB)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2018, 09:49
I think the fact you said you don't really have anyone to bounce your London finance industry questions off of tells me your network there is probably weak, which of course during your maybe at LBS you could develop but it seems you already have a bit of a network in NYC. I would go with Sloan here, you can for sure get an IB job coming out of that program and no matter where you go, PE will be difficult so I don't see one school or the other really having an advantage here on that front

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 11:48
I know a few Sloanies that got into middle market PE last year. For LBS I cannot comment. The name brand will be important here (especially having the MIT name which mixes Finance, operations and entrepreneurship for PE). Think of location, everyone who picks LBS over a school like MIT is looking to live in Europe or live abroad and experience more diversity etc. Ibanking wont be a problem at all for Sloan, everyone who wants banking (ie. not a huge number) gets it. And the VCPE network of Sloan is very good. I hear in London it is tough to land PE after an MBA because MBAs are not seen as highly as in the US. There are a bunch of PEs who purely higher MBAs in the US, so that also helps! Congrats on getting in on both schools! Tough decision ahead!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 18:18
Self-selection is a factor, but from a numbers perspective:

1/10 interns and graduates immediately post-MBA enter PE/VC/IB from MIT Sloan, and the same numbers are 1/5 at LBS.

New York and London is the PE/VC/IB capital of US and outside US respectfully. MIT Sloan and LBS have 2703 and 490 alumni respectfully in Greater NYC Area, and 1680 and 13087 alumni respectfully in London.

Happy to discuss further and try connect you to PE/VC/IB alumni but it'll be more efficient to talk rather than blog. PM me or find me on the FB/WhatsApp group.

Good luck!
Re: MIT Sloan vs London Business School (for finance industry: PE/VC/IB) &nbs [#permalink] 04 Mar 2018, 18:18

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap