Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [2]
Given Kudos: 132
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29903 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618746 [1]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Send PM
Re: Mixture strategies doubts [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
jfranciscocuencag wrote:
Dear experts,

Can someone please recommend me some good links where I can learn good strategies to tackle mixture solving problems?

It has been so challenging for me those kinds of problems, I know that they can be solved with allegation method and weight averages but a lot of them require more than that.

In your opinion, how can I improve on that topic?

Thank you so much in advance and happy new year!

18. Mixture Problems

For more check Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread

Hope it helps.

Hello Bunuel!

I've already read all those links, very helpful btw. But when I go and try to solve PS questions in the forum I found that a lot of problems can't be solved with weighted averages.

Is there another form to solve mixture questions?

Regards!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618746 [2]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jfranciscocuencag wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
jfranciscocuencag wrote:
Dear experts,

Can someone please recommend me some good links where I can learn good strategies to tackle mixture solving problems?

It has been so challenging for me those kinds of problems, I know that they can be solved with allegation method and weight averages but a lot of them require more than that.

In your opinion, how can I improve on that topic?

Thank you so much in advance and happy new year!

18. Mixture Problems

For more check Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread

Hope it helps.

Hello Bunuel!

I've already read all those links, very helpful btw. But when I go and try to solve PS questions in the forum I found that a lot of problems can't be solved with weighted averages.

Is there another form to solve mixture questions?

Regards!

Start with sub-600 questions and reply to the post with a question if something there is not clear. We'll all try to help with your questions.
Sub-600 PS Mixture Questions
Sub-600 DS Mixture Questions
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I am going to follow your advice, thank you very much!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jfranciscocuencag,

To start, "mixture" questions are a relatively rare category on the GMAT - you'll likely see just one mixture question on Test Day - so you shouldn't necessarily put a lot of effort into this one question type. By extension, unless you're already doing really well on the major categories in the Quant section (such as Number Properties, Algebra, DS overall, etc.), you're probably leaving a lot of points behind that have nothing to do with mixtures. That having been said, many mixture questions are ultimately just 'math' questions (although in certain variations, you can occasionally you can use a Tactic such as TESTing VALUES or TESTing THE ANSWERS), so if you are comfortable doing Algebra then you can train to handle just about any mixture question.

1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
3) What is your goal score?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jfranciscocuencag,

To start, "mixture" questions are a relatively rare category on the GMAT - you'll likely see just one mixture question on Test Day - so you shouldn't necessarily put a lot of effort into this one question type. By extension, unless you're already doing really well on the major categories in the Quant section (such as Number Properties, Algebra, DS overall, etc.), you're probably leaving a lot of points behind that have nothing to do with mixtures. That having been said, many mixture questions are ultimately just 'math' questions (although in certain variations, you can occasionally you can use a Tactic such as TESTing VALUES or TESTing THE ANSWERS), so if you are comfortable doing Algebra then you can train to handle just about any mixture question.

1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
3) What is your goal score?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

Rich

Hello Rich!

I didn't know they were rare in GMAT.

1) I attend one person to person prep course.
2) I have never taken the CAT, it's not very usual here in Mexico. (I guess you are referring to the CAT's exam, right?)
3) +680 GMAT
4) Before November.

Thank you so much!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jfranciscocuencag,

Taking practice CATs/mock exams - at regular intervals throughout your studies - is an important part of properly training to face the Official GMAT. Since it sounds as though you have not taken any yet, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). Once you have taken that first CAT, you should report back here and we can discuss the results.

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22044 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jfranciscocuencag,

To help me provide some specific advice, could you post a mixture problem with which you are struggling? I’d be happy to provide a solution.
GMAT Club Bot