It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 09:58

Happening Now:

MBA Chat with Michelle Miller, MBA Admission Expert

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Modern historians have challenged the common belief that suicide rates

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1711 [0], given: 302

Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Modern historians have challenged the common belief that suicide rates [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2015, 08:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:17) correct 29% (01:31) wrong based on 159 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Modern historians have challenged the common belief that suicide rates soared after the Great Wall Street Crash of 1929 by presenting various pieces of evidence, out of which the most interesting, arguably, is that the number of suicide cases per 100,000 people in 1928, a year before the Great Crash, already amounted to a sum of 17, only one less than the same number in 1929.

A. out of which the most interesting, arguably, is that the number of suicide cases per 100,000 people in 1928, a year before the Great Crash, already amounted to a sum of 17

B. out of whom the most interesting, arguably, is that the number of suicide cases per 100,000 people in 1928, a year before the Great Crash, already amounted to 17

C. out of which the most interesting, arguably, is that the number of suicide cases per 100,000 people in 1928, a year before the Great Crash, already amounted to 17

D. out of which the most interesting argument is that the number of suicide cases per 100,000 people in 1928, a year before the Great Crash, already amounted to a sum of 17

E. out of which the most interesting, arguably, is that the number of suicide cases per 100,000 people in 1928, a year before the Great Crash, already amounted to 17 suicide cases
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Kudos [?]: 1711 [0], given: 302

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 225 [1], given: 39

Re: Modern historians have challenged the common belief that suicide rates [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2015, 11:44
This post received
KUDOS
Reto,

My Dear friend, I dont know if you are a man or a machine but seriously your questions are amazing. :good

Also the quantum of questions you are able to sum up and put here is mindblowing!! Good job and keep up the good work.
By POE:

A. out of which the most interesting, arguably, is that the number of suicide cases per 100,000 people in 1928, a year before the Great Crash, already amounted to a sum of 17-amounted to a sum of 17 is the wrong idiom ; it is usually used for money so out

B. out of whom the most interesting, arguably, is that the number of suicide cases per 100,000 people in 1928, a year before the Great Crash, already amounted to 17-"out of which" is correct usage so out.

C. out of which the most interesting, arguably, is that the number of suicide cases per 100,000 people in 1928, a year before the Great Crash, already amounted to 17-hold it

D. out of which the most interesting argument is that the number of suicide cases per 100,000 people in 1928, a year before the Great Crash, already amounted to a sum of 17-it is not an argument. out

E. out of which the most interesting, arguably, is that the number of suicide cases per 100,000 people in 1928, a year before the Great Crash, already amounted to 17 suicide cases-17 has to come at the end so that the following clause "only one less" rightly modifies the number so out

Regards,
Dom

Kudos [?]: 225 [1], given: 39

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 70 [2], given: 251

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge
Re: Modern historians have challenged the common belief that suicide rates [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2015, 02:25
This post received
KUDOS
Its an easy one...amounted to a sum of----its wrong..one can either use amounted to or a sum of as both of these have same meaning so A and D are out
"out of whom" is wrong...B is out
"number of suicide cases amounted to 17 suicide cases" their is no need to repeat "suicide cases" after 17 as its already mention in the sentence that what amounted to 17 so E is out

Its C the Winner!

reto wrote:
Modern historians have challenged the common belief that suicide rates soared after the Great Wall Street Crash of 1929 by presenting various pieces of evidence, out of which the most interesting, arguably, is that the number of suicide cases per 100,000 people in 1928, a year before the Great Crash, already amounted to a sum of 17, only one less than the same number in 1929.

A. out of which the most interesting, arguably, is that the number of suicide cases per 100,000 people in 1928, a year before the Great Crash, already amounted to a sum of 17

B. out of whom the most interesting, arguably, is that the number of suicide cases per 100,000 people in 1928, a year before the Great Crash, already amounted to 17

C. out of which the most interesting, arguably, is that the number of suicide cases per 100,000 people in 1928, a year before the Great Crash, already amounted to 17

D. out of which the most interesting argument is that the number of suicide cases per 100,000 people in 1928, a year before the Great Crash, already amounted to a sum of 17

E. out of which the most interesting, arguably, is that the number of suicide cases per 100,000 people in 1928, a year before the Great Crash, already amounted to 17 suicide cases

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Kudos [?]: 70 [2], given: 251

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 49

GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2015, 22:38
There are 3 splits towards the end:
Will you say that "the number of suicide cases amounted"
1) to 17
2) to a sum of 17
3) to 17 suicide cases?
Option 1) right? :) So, with that we have eliminated A, D and E

Between B) and C), look at the opening modifier "out of whom" or "out of which". "whom" normally refers to people, and in this context it should refer to "things" so B is also out.

We are only left with choice C

Please consider giving Kudos if you like my explanation :)

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 49

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 05:23
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Re: Modern historians have challenged the common belief that suicide rates   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2017, 05:23