GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2019, 14:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Posts: 414
Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2014, 05:15
2
10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:46) correct 51% (01:47) wrong based on 525 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries, came under greater and greater social pressure in the 18th and 19th centuries, in particular in Europe and in North America. In many countries, the end result was a complete change of regime.

Which of the following conclusions is most strongly supported by the information above?

A. By the end of the nineteenth century, most monarchies in Europe and North America were replaced by democracies.
B. Most countries which were monarchic in Europe and North America at the beginning of the 18th century had a different form of government by the end of the 19th century.
C. Though accepted in the twentieth century by certain countries, communism has philosophical and social roots dating to the 18th and 19th centuries.
D. There were many reasons for the regime changes of the 18th and 19th centuries.
E. You were more likely to live in a monarchy on the eve of the 18th century than you were on the eve of the 20th century.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2014
Posts: 2
Re: Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2014, 10:56
2
I don't understand why the answer is E here, instead of B.

E says that you're most likely to live in a monarchy in the 18th than in the 20th, but might that also include an additional assumption that you live in Europe or North America? Doesn't B make more sense because we know when and where specifically the monarchies ended - not necessarily into democracies (ruling out A). And C & D are just silly.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 4
Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 31 Jul 2014, 18:54
2
1
the difference lies between many and most i.e.the numerical difference between many and most. If many countries had regime changes, doesn't mean that most had the changes.
As for E, suppose in the 18th 100 countries were monarch, in the 20th, many had regime changes, suppose 99. so it is more likely that a person lived in a monarch country, if he was living in 18th century compared to the 20th.

Originally posted by mfin7 on 30 Jul 2014, 20:06.
Last edited by mfin7 on 31 Jul 2014, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2014
Posts: 201
GMAT ToolKit User
Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 11:45
shiwir wrote:
the difference lies between many and most i.e. degree of certainity. If many countries had regime changes, doesn't mean that most had the changes.
As for E, suppose in the 18th 100 countries were monarch, in the 20th, many had regime changes, suppose 120. so it is more likely that a person lived in a monarch country, if he was living in 18th century compared to the 20th.



But the point is still between the geographical boundary set by the question ( Europe and N America) So if one is staying anywhere else ( Asia , Africa , Australia) this need not be applicable to him. Simply because of this lacuna , I think this would be a poor question. Verbal experts - @carcass,@karishma,@mike - what do you say ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 4
Re: Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 19:11
I have made a few edits in my previous post.. makes more sense now. As for your doubt, yes, if the person belongs to regions other than Europe and North America, E makes no sense. However, we have no idea where the "you" is from? "You" can be from Europe and North America or somewhere else..
So option E can just be seen as a probability question. The number of monarch countries has gone down. So the probability of randomly selecting a monarch country is less than what it was in the past. Option E states the same..
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2014
Posts: 201
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 23:13
Yes but the conclusion is only supported if one is talking about these regions
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2012
Posts: 668
Location: India
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Reviews Badge
Re: Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2014, 00:08
1
goodyear2013 wrote:
Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries, came under greater and greater social pressure in the 18th and 19th centuries, in particular in Europe and in North America. In many countries, the end result was a complete change of regime.

Which of the following conclusions is most strongly supported by the information above?

A. By the end of the nineteenth century, most monarchies in Europe and North America were replaced by democracies.
B. Most countries which were monarchic in Europe and North America at the beginning of the 18th century had a different form of government by the end of the 19th century.
C. Though accepted in the twentieth century by certain countries, communism has philosophical and social roots dating to the 18th and 19th centuries.
D. There were many reasons for the regime changes of the 18th and 19th centuries.
E. You were more likely to live in a monarchy on the eve of the 18th century than you were on the eve of the 20th century.


Marked B but E surely is a better answer.

The Q stem says that Monarchy came under greater pressure in 18th and 19th century, however the pressure was more in Europe and NA. In many countries, the end result was complete change of regime...

The regime changed happened worldwide but in particular more regime changes would have happened in European and NA continent.Also, Monarchy is stable form of govt for many centuries ...Thus with regime chance across...E has better chance

In B, the issue is with Most. If there were 30 countries in Europe and there were 20 countries with Monarchy and in NA there were 20 countries and 18 were Monarchy...then Most countries(Combined Europe+NA= 38 Countries with Monarchy)...that had regime change will be greater than 19 (let' say)... then 18 countries from NA could have complete conversion and only 1 country in Europe would have seen a regime change..or vice versa...

E stands out
_________________

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2015
Posts: 827
Location: Switzerland
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 13:05
goodyear2013 wrote:
Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries, came under greater and greater social pressure in the 18th and 19th centuries, in particular in Europe and in North America. In many countries, the end result was a complete change of regime.

Which of the following conclusions is most strongly supported by the information above?

A. By the end of the nineteenth century, most monarchies in Europe and North America were replaced by democracies.
B. Most countries which were monarchic in Europe and North America at the beginning of the 18th century had a different form of government by the end of the 19th century.
C. Though accepted in the twentieth century by certain countries, communism has philosophical and social roots dating to the 18th and 19th centuries.
D. There were many reasons for the regime changes of the 18th and 19th centuries.
E. You were more likely to live in a monarchy on the eve of the 18th century than you were on the eve of the 20th century.


IMO; Debatable OA!

Here is the official answer:

Since some of the monarchies in the beginning of the 18th century weren't monarchies by the beginning of the 20th century, you were more likely to be living in a monarchy during the former rather than during the latter. Note that this answer choice does rely on a certain unwritten assumption that the socio-political situation in the other parts of the world, outside Europe, is either unchanged, or reflects the same de-monarchizing trend that occurred in Europe. In this sense, answer choice E is less than perfect, but remember that in the GMAT it is frequently necessary to opt for the best answer choice among the five given, not the perfect answer choice.

Whit this, one have to assume that one is living in Europe or North America and therefore imo is not the best answer.
_________________
Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2015
Posts: 7
Re: Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2015, 23:11
1
WoundedTiger wrote:
goodyear2013 wrote:
Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries, came under greater and greater social pressure in the 18th and 19th centuries, in particular in Europe and in North America. In many countries, the end result was a complete change of regime.

Which of the following conclusions is most strongly supported by the information above?

A. By the end of the nineteenth century, most monarchies in Europe and North America were replaced by democracies.
B. Most countries which were monarchic in Europe and North America at the beginning of the 18th century had a different form of government by the end of the 19th century.
C. Though accepted in the twentieth century by certain countries, communism has philosophical and social roots dating to the 18th and 19th centuries.
D. There were many reasons for the regime changes of the 18th and 19th centuries.
E. You were more likely to live in a monarchy on the eve of the 18th century than you were on the eve of the 20th century.


Marked B but E surely is a better answer.

The Q stem says that Monarchy came under greater pressure in 18th and 19th century, however the pressure was more in Europe and NA. In many countries, the end result was complete change of regime...

The regime changed happened worldwide but in particular more regime changes would have happened in European and NA continent.Also, Monarchy is stable form of govt for many centuries ...Thus with regime chance across...E has better chance

In B, the issue is with Most. If there were 30 countries in Europe and there were 20 countries with Monarchy and in NA there were 20 countries and 18 were Monarchy...then Most countries(Combined Europe+NA= 38 Countries with Monarchy)...that had regime change will be greater than 19 (let' say)... then 18 countries from NA could have complete conversion and only 1 country in Europe would have seen a regime change..or vice versa...

E stands out



I THINK IMO SHOULD BE E ONLY AS IN OPTION B IT IS MENTIONED 19TH CENTURY AND IN QUESTION TRANSFORMATION IS CARRIED OUT IN BOTH 18 AND 19 TH CENTURY
SO UR NOT SURE SURE WHEN EXACTLY TRANSFORMATION CARRIED OUT BUT UR SURE IN 20TH CENTURY THERE IS NO MONARCHY
SECONDLY LAST LINE OF QUESTION TALK ABOUT ALL NATIONS BUT B OPTION IS RESTRICTING ITSELF TO OPTION EUROPE AND NORTH AMERICA
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 171
Location: India
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2015, 23:28
Debatable OA.

Quote:
You were more likely to live in a monarchy on the eve of the 18th century than you were on the eve of the 20th century.


What if the Monarchy system was developed elsewhere, let's say in Asian Countries, thus increasing the total number of people who lives in monarchy system.
_________________
Middle of nowhere!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2014
Posts: 40
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2015, 23:56
goodyear2013 wrote:
Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries, came under greater and greater social pressure in the 18th and 19th centuries, in particular in Europe and in North America. In many countries, the end result was a complete change of regime.

Which of the following conclusions is most strongly supported by the information above?

A. By the end of the nineteenth century, most monarchies in Europe and North America were replaced by democracies.
B. Most countries which were monarchic in Europe and North America at the beginning of the 18th century had a different form of government by the end of the 19th century.
C. Though accepted in the twentieth century by certain countries, communism has philosophical and social roots dating to the 18th and 19th centuries.
D. There were many reasons for the regime changes of the 18th and 19th centuries.
E. You were more likely to live in a monarchy on the eve of the 18th century than you were on the eve of the 20th century.


The conclusion we get from the statement is that " Monarchy was overthrown in Europe and North America as a result of social pressure. But we do not know what was the new regime. With that lets get into the options:

A. We are unsure whether it turned to be communist or democratic regime. An assumption which is not related to the conclusion and does not support.
B. The statement does not say in any way that, by 19th century end as it could have happened in 20th century as well. Irrelevant.
C. Irrelevant
D. We are not worried about the reasons for change as that is not the purpose of the passage. irrelevant.
E. A support is a statement which reiterates the conclusion in a different form. As you can see in this statement, The chances to live in monarchy regime was high in 18th century compared to 20th century. Basically saying that monarchy ruled during the 18th century.

Thus Option E.
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2531
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2016, 20:58
3
goodyear2013 wrote:
Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries, came under greater and greater social pressure in the 18th and 19th centuries, in particular in Europe and in North America. In many countries, the end result was a complete change of regime.

Which of the following conclusions is most strongly supported by the information above?

A. By the end of the nineteenth century, most monarchies in Europe and North America were replaced by democracies.
B. Most countries which were monarchic in Europe and North America at the beginning of the 18th century had a different form of government by the end of the 19th century.
C. Though accepted in the twentieth century by certain countries, communism has philosophical and social roots dating to the 18th and 19th centuries.
D. There were many reasons for the regime changes of the 18th and 19th centuries.
E. You were more likely to live in a monarchy on the eve of the 18th century than you were on the eve of the 20th century.


we can easily eliminate all but B and E. E makes more sense, as it is in the scope of the argument and has the similar "language". B is a trap, because the argument says "many countries", but that doesn't mean "most of the countries". B is eliminated, and E stands.
_________________
Image
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Sep 2015
Posts: 657
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2019, 13:03
Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries, came under greater and greater social pressure in the 18th and 19th centuries, in particular in Europe and in North America. In many countries, the end result was a complete change of regime.

Which of the following conclusions is most strongly supported by the information above?

A. By the end of the nineteenth century, most monarchies in Europe and North America were replaced by democracies. 'most' monarchies goes too far. wrong choice
B. Most countries which were monarchic in Europe and North America at the beginning of the 18th century had a different form of government by the end of the 19th century.not true or not quite supported above
C. Though accepted in the twentieth century by certain countries, communism has philosophical and social roots dating to the 18th and 19th centuries.
communism is out of scope
D. There were many reasons for the regime changes of the 18th and 19th centuries.
reasons are not mentioned so out of scope.
E. You were more likely to live in a monarchy on the eve of the 18th century than you were on the eve of the 20th century.
though sounds like not a type of option that can be seen on gmat but still makes perfect sense
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Feb 2019
Posts: 47
CAT Tests
Re: Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 07:52
Question is flawed. Hope the Gmat does not make such gruesome mistakes in its answer choices...
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries,   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2019, 07:52
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Monarchy, a stable form of government for many centuries,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne