Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618902 [2]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [1]
Given Kudos: 298
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [4]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [1]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Most regular coffee is made from arabica coffee beans because the grea [#permalink]
Kudos
Answer choice (A): If we remember how Must Be True questions operate, we could simply ask ourselves, "What in the world do supply-and-demand market considerations have to do with differences in Chemical X extraction between bean types?" Loser!

Answer choice (B): This might be tempting if we somehow fell into the trap of thinking that the amount of non-caffeine chemicals extracted by decaffeination was in direct proportion to the amount caffeine extracted. However, there is absolutely zero support for the idea that the number of molecules of Chemical X extracted has any relation to the number of molecules of caffeine extracted. Perhaps robusta beans have a radically different anatomy than that of arabica beans. Robusta beans might protect their Chemical X molecules inside special chambers near the interior of the bean while arabica beans have their Chemical X molecules exposed on the surface of the bean, ready to be washed away easily. As long as we see that each chemical's reaction to decaffeination can be totally independent of other chemicals' reactions, we can toss this answer choice.

Answer choice (C): This is not correct because the stimulus did not provide any information relating to why people switch or who might be inclined to switch. Basically, we can read the stimulus as saying that a random person who does a taste test with regular coffee will probably prefer coffee from arabica beans and a random person who does a taste test with decaffeinated coffee will probably prefer coffee from robusta beans. People do not switch to decaffeinated coffee because they are bean-loyal or any such thing. People switch to decaffeinated coffee because they do not want caffeine, and robusta just happens to be the better tasting decaffeinated coffee for most people.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. We can see that it matches our prephrase as long as we realize that this answer choice is describing what happens with Chemical X. We should confidently select this answer if we have dealt with the other four.

Answer choice (E): What does cost have to do with anything? We never read about cost in the stimulus and we already noted in our analysis of answer choice C that the stimulus never discusses the reason(s) why people switch to decaffeinated coffee. This should be an easy discard because we are looking for a chemical comparison involving arabica beans and robusta beans.

FINAL ANSWER IS (D)

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [0]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Most regular coffee is made from arabica coffee beans because the grea [#permalink]
Quote:
Most regular coffee is made from arabica coffee beans because the great majority of consumers prefer its generally richer flavor to that of coffee made from robusta beans. Coffee drinkers who switch to decaffeinated coffee, however, overwhelmingly prefer coffee made from robusta beans, which are unlike arabica beans in that their flavors is not as greatly affected by decaffeination. Depending on the type of bean involved, decaffeination reduces or removes various substances, most of which are flavor-neutral but one of which contributes to the richness of the coffee’s flavor.

The statements above provide the most support for which one of the following conclusion?
(A) The annual world crop of arabica beans is not large enough to satisfy completely the world demand for regular coffee.
(B) Arabica beans contain more caffeine per unit of weight than do robusta beans.
(C) Coffee drinkers who drink decaffeinated coffee almost exclusively are the ones who prefer regular coffee made from robusta beans to regular coffee made from arabica beans.
(D) Decaffeination of arabica beans extracts more of the substance that enhances a coffee’s flavor than does decaffeination of robusta beans.
(E) There are coffee drinkers who switch from drinking regular coffee made from arabica beans to drinking decaffeinated coffee made from arabica beans because coffee made from arabica beans is less costly.

ARGUMENT
coffee consumers prefer arabica vs robusta because it is more rich in flavor;
however, when these consumers switch to decaffeinated, they prefer robusta than arabica, because the process of decaf affects richness of flavor more in arabica than in robusta.

Ans (D)

Originally posted by exc4libur on 17 Feb 2020, 18:13.
Last edited by exc4libur on 18 Feb 2020, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 460
Send PM
Re: Most regular coffee is made from arabica coffee beans because the grea [#permalink]
Kudos
Conclusion - Depending on the type of bean involved, decaffeination reduces or removes various substances, most of which are flavor-neutral but one of which contributes to the richness of the coffee’s flavor.

We need to find the correct answers that strengthens the conclusion i.e. decaffeination reduces/removes various substances....

A, C & E are out of context. The answer is between B & D.

Option (B) - This is a tempting answer but does not explain how decaffeination affects the caffeine and caffeine is the reason behind the rich flavor of Arabica

Option (D) - clearly says decaffeination affects the flavors of Arabica coffee. So it aligns with the conclusion.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts