GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 08:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar

MS in supply chain Query

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Mar 2015
Posts: 8
MS in supply chain Query  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2018, 19:28
2
Hi everyone.

I have been a silent spectator here for a while. Never posted anything till now as I generally gain insights from others experiences, but now I have reached a situation that I cannot proceed without any further help.

Any info provided by you will help me tremendously, so please take out some to help me with the below questions.

So a little bit about myself.
I am a mechanical engineer. I have a total of 6+ years of work experience, 5 of which was in a leading global automotive company as part of the global product development and 1+ year in a leading global aerospace company as part of the integrated system design team.

I always had plans to do an MBA majoring in supply chain or operations. But as you know the MBAs in USA are not stem credited (hence I cannot apply for the STEM OPT extension) so I started looking for MS in supply chain or operations or other stem business programs.

Now that I have provided a brief history, these are my questions.

1.. Is it possible to transition to supply chain role with 6-7 years' work experience in product development after doing MS in supply chain?! Also will my work ex give me any competitive advantage even though it is not exactly supply chain exp?

2. Another degree that interests me MS is industrial engineering/operation research. I am not able to apply to any such courses because they require GRE and I have GMAT score. Are there any colleges that provide MS in industrial Engineering and accept GMAT scores?
Also the average work ex of the class is quite less compared to mine. Do u think that will be a disadvantage for me?



Thank you for taking time to go through my post and helping me out. :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 02 Apr 2018
Posts: 50
Re: MS in supply chain Query  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 11:06
2
I believe your work experience should always give you a competitive advantage! Even if it's not the same field you still learned valuable and transferable skills.

Most schools will require the GRE, but I've heard that the exam is actually easier and cheaper than the GMAT.

Good luck!

Kudos are appreciated
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Mar 2015
Posts: 8
Re: MS in supply chain Query  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 06:18
Thank you for the info. Unfortunately I have already given GMAT hence I was wondering if there are some colleges available that accepts GMAT.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1887
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: MS in supply chain Query  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2018, 13:40
1
prabh0810 wrote:
Hi everyone.

I have been a silent spectator here for a while. Never posted anything till now as I generally gain insights from others experiences, but now I have reached a situation that I cannot proceed without any further help.

Any info provided by you will help me tremendously, so please take out some to help me with the below questions.

So a little bit about myself.
I am a mechanical engineer. I have a total of 6+ years of work experience, 5 of which was in a leading global automotive company as part of the global product development and 1+ year in a leading global aerospace company as part of the integrated system design team.

I always had plans to do an MBA majoring in supply chain or operations. But as you know the MBAs in USA are not stem credited (hence I cannot apply for the STEM OPT extension) so I started looking for MS in supply chain or operations or other stem business programs.

Now that I have provided a brief history, these are my questions.

1.. Is it possible to transition to supply chain role with 6-7 years' work experience in product development after doing MS in supply chain?! Also will my work ex give me any competitive advantage even though it is not exactly supply chain exp?

2. Another degree that interests me MS is industrial engineering/operation research. I am not able to apply to any such courses because they require GRE and I have GMAT score. Are there any colleges that provide MS in industrial Engineering and accept GMAT scores?
Also the average work ex of the class is quite less compared to mine. Do u think that will be a disadvantage for me?



Thank you for taking time to go through my post and helping me out. :)


I hope you do not get later answer.

Are you still interested in the programs above or have you found your right program?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Mar 2015
Posts: 8
Re: MS in supply chain Query  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2018, 21:22
Hi, i am actually still looking for programs, so if you can provide any information then that will be great.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1887
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
MS in supply chain Query  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2018, 11:44
1
prabh0810 wrote:
Hi, i am actually still looking for programs, so if you can provide any information then that will be great.


Happy to help as it is in my specialty :)

I will detail my answer in context of STEM programs in any degree you want to pursue.

1- For any master in Engineering school, math, science, you will find almost only GRE required not GMAT. It goes by the definition of each test. GMAT is for business schools and they use GRE recently in MBA and their STEM program but it is not vice verse in other schools.

2- If you want to do MBA with STEM so you have to do through Rochester which just announced its MBA to be STEM. Also, you can do through Wisconsin declaring that you want supply chain/ Operation concentration as it is the ONLY certified STEM concentration inside the MBA (not the whole program). You may go lower tank such as Jindal in Dallas, TX and combine MBA with STEM supply chain master which is STEM an so you will have dual degree. The last option is needed to be check with each university as it is not usual to find like this way.

3- If you go to STEM supply chain master only, so you have ample options with highly ranked degrees in many schools such Ross, Purdue, Rutgers, Ohio(Fisher) and others. When it comes to supply china master, then you must review another ranking called Gartner. You can search and download the file.

4- You job is certainly positive thing and can help you in the transition. Do not underestimate it. Always search for the link between you experience and the your desired goal. You will find a link. Business is linked functions and processes.


Let me know if you have other questions.

Good luck
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Mar 2015
Posts: 8
Re: MS in supply chain Query  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2018, 21:48
Hi Thank you so much for all the information. I have been doing research and found similar results as you mentioned.
So now it puts me on ease that my search has got affirmation from an expert.

I have one final query that has been bugging me, i found that most of the MS in supply chain program are 1 year course.
Do you think that will give me enough time to make contacts and find a job?
Because in 2 year programs, you have enough time to build relationships with alumnis, and you also get a shot at an internship etc.
I am a little more apprehensive about the 1 year program as i do not have a supply chain experience, so i will be at a disadvantage to focus on academics and look for a job in 1 year.

Again thank you so much for the info. it has greatly helped! :)
SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1887
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: MS in supply chain Query  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2018, 23:10
1
prabh0810 wrote:
Hi Thank you so much for all the information. I have been doing research and found similar results as you mentioned.
So now it puts me on ease that my search has got affirmation from an expert.

I have one final query that has been bugging me, i found that most of the MS in supply chain program are 1 year course.
Do you think that will give me enough time to make contacts and find a job?
Because in 2 year programs, you have enough time to build relationships with alumnis, and you also get a shot at an internship etc.
I am a little more apprehensive about the 1 year program as i do not have a supply chain experience, so i will be at a disadvantage to focus on academics and look for a job in 1 year.

Again thank you so much for the info. it has greatly helped! :)


Hi,

Do not be afraid of 1 year. First off, you rarely find a program more than one year. I can cite only a new program in Rutgers which is unique supply chain master. (1-1.5 year). Ross even crashed it is course into 10 months now. Second, the nature of this master demands a field project and all students are in the same situation like you and all recruited in Ross for example, but this really depends on the school's name.

Let me know if you still have any question
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Mar 2015
Posts: 8
MS in supply chain Query  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 00:11
Ask as many questions as you can. I'm always happy to help GC members. :)

You mentioned many things in above that need some attentions from your side. You need to understand that you come from over-represented pool So I won't put much emphasis sports and social work. So while your GMAT score may work with some schools like Purdue, it won't work for MIT and Ross, Ohio (You can review class profile. For example: Ohio demands special score in Quant). Also, this score could be put on edge with some other schools. Conclusion:
1-My advice is to retake the exam to be be competitive applicant.

2- review each school calmly and do not rush.

Again ask anything
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Mar 2015
Posts: 8
Re: MS in supply chain Query  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 09:24
Hi,

Thank you so much again for all the information.
I am reconsidering giving GMAT again.

Greatly appreciate your help.
Will get back to you if I have any more queries.

Thanks:)
SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1887
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
MS in supply chain Query  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 12:16
prabh0810 wrote:
Hi,

Thank you so much again for all the information.
I am reconsidering giving GMAT again.

Greatly appreciate your help.
Will get back to you if I have any more queries.

Thanks:)


You are welcome anytime.

Target 700+ for GMAT score.
GMAT Club Bot
MS in supply chain Query &nbs [#permalink] 08 Oct 2018, 12:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

MS in supply chain Query

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: carcass, Mo2men



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.