GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 22:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar

Multiple Admits (In Dilemma to finalize offers - Deposit are due soon)

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Oct 2016
Posts: 132
Location: Pakistan
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.04
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Multiple Admits (In Dilemma to finalize offers - Deposit are due soon)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2018, 04:07
Hi Folks,
I am having a struggle deciding the schools I’ll be going to next year. I have 5.5 years of experience in upstream oil and gas operations in Pakistan. I have an undergrad in Chemical engineering and a GMAT of 650. Decent co-curriculars and academic grades.

Post-MBA I plan to work in Operations or Supply chain consulting. The geography is not much a vital concern (although it should be) but I would most certainly want to function outside the domestic market.

As of now, I have following offers:

1) Schulich Sep intake – (Need to deposit $ CAD 3000 reservation by 30th November)
2) HEC Paris Sep intake – (Need to deposit 9000 Euros by 10th December)
3) Purdue Krannert with 50% Scholarship – (Need to $USD 2000 deposit by 2nd Dec)
4) SMU Cox with 40% Scholarship, I could potentially push for more – (Need to deposit $1000 USD by 2nd Dec)


Note:
Apart from these, I applied to 9 other schools:
Waitlisted at MSU Broad and rejected at rest (6 in the US and 2 in Canada)
I tried retaking GMAT, got the same score just the scaled score changed.

In terms of the above schools:
Schulich Pros: Central location, Easier routers to PR, 3-year post-MBA work visa.
Schulich Cons: Not much diversity, generally poor placement (comparison to Rotman/Ivey).

HEC Paris Pros: Strong brand name, highly diverse, massive alumni based, good placements.
HEC Paris cons: Language barrier.

Purdue: In the US which is a big market, strong placement in supply chain & operations, offered a scholarship.
Cons: Relatively poor rank (not much know for its MBA), H1B visa could be a challenge.

SMU Cox: In Dallas (huge market that will continue to grow), good placement in consulting (Big four/boutique firms), offered a scholarship
Cons: Same as Purdue


I need advice from the admission guru’s here or folks who’ve been through a similar Dilemma. Would be really helpful to finalize decisions as the deadlines for securing places would be coming up soon.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 975
Reviews Badge
Re: Multiple Admits (In Dilemma to finalize offers - Deposit are due soon)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 14:48
Hi TA89,

Congrats on the acceptances -- that is a nice dilemma to have!

I think job placements and location of where you'd ideally like to be should be a huge factor in your decision. If you want to work in Europe for example, it's hard to pass up the HEC Paris brand. Plus, it's the highest ranking school of your choices, and it's nice to have that brand name, especially if you're switching careers.

In terms of US schools, I'd go with Purdue over SMU -- better global brand, higher ranking, well known for supply chain/operations.

I think Schulich's worth considering if you think the job placements will be easier / more competitive. I'm not an expert in immigration policies (and they are changing!) so I'm not sure how much of a factor that should be in your decision.

Also recommend you talk to current students and recent alumni of these programs to see how they decided and what they like about the programs.

Good luck!
Kate

TA89 wrote:
Hi Folks,
I am having a struggle deciding the schools I’ll be going to next year. I have 5.5 years of experience in upstream oil and gas operations in Pakistan. I have an undergrad in Chemical engineering and a GMAT of 650. Decent co-curriculars and academic grades.

Post-MBA I plan to work in Operations or Supply chain consulting. The geography is not much a vital concern (although it should be) but I would most certainly want to function outside the domestic market.

As of now, I have following offers:

1) Schulich Sep intake – (Need to deposit $ CAD 3000 reservation by 30th November)
2) HEC Paris Sep intake – (Need to deposit 9000 Euros by 10th December)
3) Purdue Krannert with 50% Scholarship – (Need to $USD 2000 deposit by 2nd Dec)
4) SMU Cox with 40% Scholarship, I could potentially push for more – (Need to deposit $1000 USD by 2nd Dec)


Note:
Apart from these, I applied to 9 other schools:
Waitlisted at MSU Broad and rejected at rest (6 in the US and 2 in Canada)
I tried retaking GMAT, got the same score just the scaled score changed.

In terms of the above schools:
Schulich Pros: Central location, Easier routers to PR, 3-year post-MBA work visa.
Schulich Cons: Not much diversity, generally poor placement (comparison to Rotman/Ivey).

HEC Paris Pros: Strong brand name, highly diverse, massive alumni based, good placements.
HEC Paris cons: Language barrier.

Purdue: In the US which is a big market, strong placement in supply chain & operations, offered a scholarship.
Cons: Relatively poor rank (not much know for its MBA), H1B visa could be a challenge.

SMU Cox: In Dallas (huge market that will continue to grow), good placement in consulting (Big four/boutique firms), offered a scholarship
Cons: Same as Purdue


I need advice from the admission guru’s here or folks who’ve been through a similar Dilemma. Would be really helpful to finalize decisions as the deadlines for securing places would be coming up soon.

_________________

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Sign up for a free phone consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Multiple Admits (In Dilemma to finalize offers - Deposit are due soon)

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.