It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 19:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

my chances???

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
my chances??? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 00:57
Hi,

I am an Italian male, 33 years old. I am a mechanical engineer with a masters in science in aerospace engineering. Worked in the Formula 1 industry all my life and now working as a technical manager for a very important and luxurious car company. I have 8 years’ experience job wise and have traveled a lot in my life (due to my work and family reasons, New York, London, Munich, Rome). Looking to get into consulting but would really like to harness my entrepreneurship qualities.

GMAT: 720
GPA: 3.5ish (didn’t go to a US university).

I am afraid that my age is my main problem.

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Vibranture

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: my chances??? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 17:31
Hello Tazzo82

You seem to have a unique work experience and Stanford would value that.

However, most consulting firms tend to hire MBA students for entry-level positions and that's why there is a preference for younger candidates. Therefore, I believe you might be better off rethinking your goals.

In case you want to chat about career options, feel free to sign up for a free consultation with me :)

Good luck!

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Schools: Wharton '16

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 17:46
Just to add some information: Wharton should be interested on your profile, because I've seen (as a Wharton alumni) guys of your age in consulting, especially coming from the Army, Navy, etc (veterans).

If you need more help, visit my website.

Best,

Javier Galdames
CEO & Founder, MBAPrepLatam
http://www.mbapreplatam.com

contact@mbapreplatam.com
Wharton MBA, Class of 2016
https://www.linkedin.com/in/javiergaldames

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 309 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2016, 10:22
Your age does not need to be an issue, as long as you explain why you are applying now and work hard at your application (I work for ARINGO - aringo.com - and we helped a 35 year old candidate get into both Wharton and Kellogg this year, with a lowish GMAT, so really: anything is possible!).

Your GMAT is fine, you are an applicant from a rare and interesting industry and being from Italy might be an advantage as well. Your profile is not one the schools see all that often, but having traveled a lot is not that unusual for applicants from Europe, especially if the travels were mainly in Europe, so I would not focus too much on that. You did not mention anything about extra curricular activities, but with such an interesting job, I figure you might have something to add there too, so would rather suggest you think hard about that.

If you are at all open to the idea I would also recommend getting some professional assistance with your application, due to your unusual profile, in order to make you stand out even more, which would of course increase your chances of admission. At ARINGO, we really do excel at pinpointing strengths of very unique candidates that schools don’t get applications from so often, so I do believe we might be able to help you if you’d like.

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do!

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 309 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 77

GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.13
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2016, 21:54
Tazzo82 wrote:
Hi,

I am an Italian male, 33 years old. I am a mechanical engineer with a masters in science in aerospace engineering. Worked in the Formula 1 industry all my life and now working as a technical manager for a very important and luxurious car company. I have 8 years’ experience job wise and have traveled a lot in my life (due to my work and family reasons, New York, London, Munich, Rome). Looking to get into consulting but would really like to harness my entrepreneurship qualities.

GMAT: 720
GPA: 3.5ish (didn’t go to a US university).

I am afraid that my age is my main problem.

Thanks.

As someone with zero experience in this outside of also applying to MBA programs (if not too early in my career, at least on paper), I say people rarely regret chances they took compared to ones they did not.

So basically as long as you know how it fits your objectives and why that school and an MBA, you won't know if you don't try.

Please help me find my lost Kudo's bird

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 77

Expert Post
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 69

Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2016, 02:26
I don't think it's enough to deter you from applying. Things really drop off after 34, I would go for it this year with all your might.

You have an interesting job and an under-appreciated industry, I could see how they would be interested in your work experience as it would add additional depth to the classroom. It's very unlikely anyone else works in the same industry.

I will say that you might want to state a different goal; than Consulting on your applications. If you're most interested in entrepreneurship I think I would go that direction.

The reason for that is consulting is a bit of a lockstep model. It might be a bit awkward for recruiters to bring you in as the consultant level alongside 27 year olds. And schools are primarily concerned with having candidates that are viable recruits for their post MBA goal.

But if it's something you really want, I would reach out to MBA recruiters for the consultancies you're interested in about this. Your background is unique and that might be more important.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 69

Re: my chances???   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2016, 02:26