Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:00 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72912 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 600 Q50 V22
GRE 1: Q162 V138
Send PM
Re: My Dramatic Deferred MBA Journey to Kellogg Future Leaders [#permalink]
AGP14159 wrote:
I got rejected by 7 Business schools and waitlisted by 1. This has been a roller coaster journey of my deferred MBA application with a cinematic ending.

The Prelude: A Dream Deferred

January: I stumbled upon the deferred MBA program, and I casually started my GMAT preparations, confident that my impressive academic record and college leadership experience would pave the way.

May : I took a detour while pursuing an internship at Goldman Sachs.

September: After securing a PPO from GS, I became more relaxed and resumed my GMAT prep, albeit somewhat passively.

The First Shock: A Crushing 710

December 21st: As the year drew to a close, I decided to take the GMAT plunge. Intense preparation, long hours, and high hopes culminated in my first official attempt - a disheartening 710. The stark reality set in - the schools I aimed for had a median GMAT score of around 730.

The Perseverance Phase: Against All Odds

January: Determined to overcome the GMAT hurdle, I dedicated two more months to preparation. Mock tests hinted at a breakthrough, with scores oscillating between 750 and 760. Hope was rekindled as I approached my second attempt.

February 17th: My second GMAT attempt, with unwavering confidence, ended in yet another devastating 710. The roller coaster of emotions took its toll.

February 26th: With one final shot in mind for March, I decided to take a practice GMAT test before that. Amidst panic and self-doubt throughout the exam, convinced I was failing miserably. The outcome was a shocking 740.

The Race Against Time: The Application Marathon

March 15th: Exhausted from GMAT struggles, I realized the clock was ticking on MBA applications. Weeks turned into frenzied months, with over 60 hours per week spent meticulously crafting essays, seeking feedback, conducting informational interviews, and perfecting application forms.

April: One by one I submitted all the applications, in total 8.

The Beginning of the End: The Booth Interview

April 28th: I received an interview invitation from Booth. Naively, I anticipated more interview calls and underestimated the significance of this opportunity.

May 8th: Booth Interview went below average because I panicked with unprepared questions.

The Rejection Avalanche: A Catastrophic Series of Setbacks

May 15th: Rejection from MIT Sloan.
May 16th: Rejection from Columbia.
May 25th: Double rejections from Stanford and Wharton.
May 30th: Rejection from Harvard.
June 23rd: Rejection from Haas.

A Flicker of Hope: The Kellogg Interview

May 26th: A thin ray of hope emerged as I secured a Kellogg interview. However, the initial elation was met with reality checks from my previous failures. I couldn't afford to take this lightly.

June 8th: With a newfound determination, I embarked on extensive interview preparation for Kellogg. Armed with mock interviews and a well-rehearsed script, I entered the interview room. Confidence radiated from me, and the interview went remarkably well. I had hope again.

Ultimate D-Day (Decision Day): Battling Despair and Clinging to Kellogg's Lifeline

July 15th: Rejection from Booth after Interview added to the growing list of failures, amplifying the weight of despair.

July 28th: A flicker of hope in the form of a Kellogg waitlist was all that remained. But the grim reality of a mere 6% conversion rate from the waitlist just made me give up completely.

The Twist: A Surprise Kellogg Admittance

August 22nd: As life settled into a routine in Hyderabad, working diligently at Goldman Sachs and finding solace in a 3 BHK flat within a gated society, an unforeseen crisis emerged. One of my flatmates abruptly decided to leave. We had recently moved in, and the deposit was still unpaid. We were going to get kicked out next morning. And then, in the midst of this turmoil, destiny delivered an unexpected twist. I received an email bearing the words, "Congratulations on your admittance to Kellogg!" It was the worst possible time for such good news. The threat of being ejected from our new home loomed large, and the chaos was palpable. However, I couldn't help but celebrate this remarkable culmination of my deferred MBA journey.

Every story need not have a happy ending but this one surely does. I am deeply grateful to Kellogg School of Management for granting me the opportunity to pursue a deferred MBA.

Here are some of the materials I used for my GMAT Prep:
GMATClub Forum quiz
TTP
All free mock tests
Official guide
Official mock 1,2,3,4,5,6

Hope you get into your dream school!!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT Focus 1:
635 Q84 V81 DI79
Send PM
AGP14159 wrote:
I got rejected by 7 Business schools and waitlisted by 1. This has been a roller coaster journey of my deferred MBA application with a cinematic ending.

The Prelude: A Dream Deferred

January: I stumbled upon the deferred MBA program, and I casually started my GMAT preparations, confident that my impressive academic record and college leadership experience would pave the way.

May : I took a detour while pursuing an internship at Goldman Sachs.

September: After securing a PPO from GS, I became more relaxed and resumed my GMAT prep, albeit somewhat passively.

The First Shock: A Crushing 710

December 21st: As the year drew to a close, I decided to take the GMAT plunge. Intense preparation, long hours, and high hopes culminated in my first official attempt - a disheartening 710. The stark reality set in - the schools I aimed for had a median GMAT score of around 730.

The Perseverance Phase: Against All Odds

January: Determined to overcome the GMAT hurdle, I dedicated two more months to preparation. Mock tests hinted at a breakthrough, with scores oscillating between 750 and 760. Hope was rekindled as I approached my second attempt.

February 17th: My second GMAT attempt, with unwavering confidence, ended in yet another devastating 710. The roller coaster of emotions took its toll.

February 26th: With one final shot in mind for March, I decided to take a practice GMAT test before that. Amidst panic and self-doubt throughout the exam, convinced I was failing miserably. The outcome was a shocking 740.

The Race Against Time: The Application Marathon

March 15th: Exhausted from GMAT struggles, I realized the clock was ticking on MBA applications. Weeks turned into frenzied months, with over 60 hours per week spent meticulously crafting essays, seeking feedback, conducting informational interviews, and perfecting application forms.

April: One by one I submitted all the applications, in total 8.

The Beginning of the End: The Booth Interview

April 28th: I received an interview invitation from Booth. Naively, I anticipated more interview calls and underestimated the significance of this opportunity.

May 8th: Booth Interview went below average because I panicked with unprepared questions.

The Rejection Avalanche: A Catastrophic Series of Setbacks

May 15th: Rejection from MIT Sloan.
May 16th: Rejection from Columbia.
May 25th: Double rejections from Stanford and Wharton.
May 30th: Rejection from Harvard.
June 23rd: Rejection from Haas.

A Flicker of Hope: The Kellogg Interview

May 26th: A thin ray of hope emerged as I secured a Kellogg interview. However, the initial elation was met with reality checks from my previous failures. I couldn't afford to take this lightly.

June 8th: With a newfound determination, I embarked on extensive interview preparation for Kellogg. Armed with mock interviews and a well-rehearsed script, I entered the interview room. Confidence radiated from me, and the interview went remarkably well. I had hope again.

Ultimate D-Day (Decision Day): Battling Despair and Clinging to Kellogg's Lifeline

July 15th: Rejection from Booth after Interview added to the growing list of failures, amplifying the weight of despair.

July 28th: A flicker of hope in the form of a Kellogg waitlist was all that remained. But the grim reality of a mere 6% conversion rate from the waitlist just made me give up completely.

The Twist: A Surprise Kellogg Admittance

August 22nd: As life settled into a routine in Hyderabad, working diligently at Goldman Sachs and finding solace in a 3 BHK flat within a gated society, an unforeseen crisis emerged. One of my flatmates abruptly decided to leave. We had recently moved in, and the deposit was still unpaid. We were going to get kicked out next morning. And then, in the midst of this turmoil, destiny delivered an unexpected twist. I received an email bearing the words, "Congratulations on your admittance to Kellogg!" It was the worst possible time for such good news. The threat of being ejected from our new home loomed large, and the chaos was palpable. However, I couldn't help but celebrate this remarkable culmination of my deferred MBA journey.

Every story need not have a happy ending but this one surely does. I am deeply grateful to Kellogg School of Management for granting me the opportunity to pursue a deferred MBA.

Here are some of the materials I used for my GMAT Prep:
GMATClub Forum quiz
TTP
All free mock tests
Official guide
Official mock 1,2,3,4,5,6

Hope you get into your dream school!!

­Hi,

Congratulations on your admit!

As the deadlines for Deferred MBA 2024 approach, what are the important things I need to keep in mind while applying? What would you have done better or differently?
GMAT Club Bot