It is currently 19 Jan 2018, 05:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My experience achieving 750

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [1], given: 1

Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
My experience achieving 750 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 11:22
This post received
KUDOS
Hello!

I will not describe my experience in a very detailed way, since I do not remember all the comings and goings myself.

About 1 year ago I was finishing my masters and beginning to plan for a PhD abroad. It was them I first heard about GMAT. As an introduction to it, I bought Princeton Review book. It helped me to understand what is GMAT and a few nice strategies to tackle it.

I'm not bad at math, but I noticed that the concepts of math needed for GMAT were those I had not studied for more than 10 years. So, I needed to review them. I studied for a few months, and then decided to take a practice exam. The score was really awful.

I scheduled an exam. Two days before the exam (Jan/20) I decided to take a mock exam with Princeton Review, and I got only 590 (39Q, 32V). If that exam was accurate, I really would have a long road ahead.

But then came my first real exam, and my score was 680 (46Q, 37V). So, I did much better at the real exam than at the mock exam two days before. A score of 680 was not perfect, but it was not that bad since I had not studied that much. So, I began to plan to take the exam again close to the end of 2016, and take the time to study.

Most schools accept both the GRE and the GMAT. So, before trying the GMAT a second time, I decided to try the GRE too. In June, I got 161Q/165V at GRE. It is hard to compare GRE to GMAT, but even with a score equivalent to a 680 Gmat, I sure felt more secure by then.

When I went back to studying to GMAT, it seemed that my skill with problem solving was much better, but I struggled a lot with data sufficiency. So, I studied focusing on Quant, since that's the most important aspect of the GMAT score. It's a lot of study for a few points, but that's the way it is.

Manhattan GMAT books were very useful to review the math I needed in depth.
Gmatprepnow.com was a great way to review the quant and verbal concepts I needed in a more superficial way, and also as a guide to use the Official Guide to GMAT to study.
When I was close to the exam, I wanted some heavier load of study. So, I got Gmatclub question bank. It was very useful, since I could select the kind of question I wanted. I could practice only with 700 level questions, for example, the kind of question the official guide is lacking.
I did not study very much for the verbal section, most of my preparation for that came from Gmatprepnow.

Then came my second exam, in which I scored 750 (49Q, 42V). That score was much higher than any mock test I did along the way. For some reason, I do much better at a real test than at a practice one.

These were my results in mock tests:

London Business School site:
Dec/19/15 - 500-550 (23-27Q; 38-40V)
Aug/31/16 - 640-690 (39-42Q; 40-44V)

Princeton Review:
Jan/20/16 - 590 (39Q; 32V)
July/14/15 - 690 (41Q; 45V)

Veritas:
Sep/5/16 - 680 (46Q; 38V)
Sep/13/16 - 670 (47Q; 35V)
Oct/3/16 - 680 (45Q; 39V)
Oct/10/16 - 690 (50Q; 35V)

Manhattan:
Oct/4/16 - 720 (44Q; 45V)

GMATPrep
Around Aug/16 710 (48Q; 40V)

http://myphdtales.blogspot.com.br/

Kudos [?]: 21 [1], given: 1

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
D

Kudos [?]: 30011 [0], given: 5458

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: My experience achieving 750 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 11:25
Congratulations and great to see you get a great score!
I did too notice that I was able to perform and sqeeze out a higher score on the real test (my suspicion was that i put everything I had during the final test vs. holding back/knowing it was simply a practice, I would either give up faster or not perform at my best level).

Congratulations and on to the next level I guess.

P.S. Did you figure out what was the hold up with your previous score and why it took so long to get it?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 11:48
bb wrote:
P.S. Did you figure out what was the hold up with your previous score and why it took so long to get it?

I think there were a lot of little things.
- I had to brush up a lot of my knowledge in math.
- But knowing math is not enough to do well at GMAT quant. I had to learn about typical traps, for example.
- I actually studied for 3 different tests: GMAT, GRE, and TOEFL. Each of them is different from each other (although studying for one of them usually helps the others), and each of them demand time for preparation.
- A lot of my time was also dedicated to other aspects of my application. Choosing schools, for example, is very difficult. It's already dificult for MBA, but I think PhD is worse (not much information about PhD around the internet, when compared to MBA).

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
D

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 11:49
Sorry, I meant the score report - what took GMAC so long to get it to you?
This post: no-official-score-after-20-days-228324.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 11:52
bb wrote:
Sorry, I meant the score report - what took GMAC so long to get it to you?
This post: no-official-score-after-20-days-228324.html

Some problem with my profile. They asked me to confirm some information, like name, e-mail, address. After that, everything was ok.

Re: My experience achieving 750   [#permalink] 11 Nov 2016, 11:52

My experience achieving 750

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR JANUARY
Math Revolution - Free Free Diagnostic Quant Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
examPAL - Free Video Course A complete on-demand GMAT course
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap