Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Fuqua (In), Tuck (WL & Withdrawn), McDonough (Withdrawn), McCombs (Withdrawn), Manchester (In & Withdrawn)
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: My Experience / Lessons Learned: (A Complete Nightmare) [#permalink]
Congrats and thanks for the debrief :-D :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8533 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi!

First of all, congrats!!! Your story is very inspiring.

I am in a similar position:

August 2009: 680
November 2009: 620
August 2010: 680

Now I'm doing it again in January 2011, hoping to break the 700 barrier, with a good balance between Q and V.

What do you recommend me for these last days? I have 10 days of full time dedication the days before.

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools:Fuqua (In), Tuck (WL & Withdrawn), McDonough (Withdrawn), McCombs (Withdrawn), Manchester (In & Withdrawn)
Send PM
mrinal2100 wrote:
what mistakes did you make in your previous gmat attempts

I guess I just were too confident in my ability to perform well academically...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Samwong wrote:
Cogratulation on getting into Duke. 

This is definately a very difficult test. As I prepared for the test, my biggest problem is to do each problem under two minutes. If I second guess myself, I would exceed the two minutes mark. How did you improve your speed?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Thanks! Its a total relief to be accepted!
First of all, I'm no expert on the GMAT... I believe that there are many that score way above 700 that you could ask them for advice... but let me tell you what worked for me.

After I signed up for the MGMAT, they sent me a package with all of the books and of course a digital chronometer! Following their program I kept track of all of the problems I practiced and I included the time I devoted... By using a chrono with laps its very easy to keep up your time track and later identify which problems are your weak spot in terms of time.

For me, the killer problems were the word problems in the quant section... So i focused my last weeks preparing that topic.

Good Luck!

I started to keep track of time in every problem I practiced...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mailnavin1 wrote:
Congrats and thanks for the debrief :-D :-D

Thanks mailnavin1!! I appreciate it!
Good Luck to you too!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
noboru wrote:
Hi!

Now I'm doing it again in January 2011, hoping to break the 700 barrier, with a good balance between Q and V.

What do you recommend me for these last days? I have 10 days of full time dedication the days before.

Thanks in advance!

Hello noboru,

First of all, great avatar!!! As I previously posted... I'm no expert on the GMAT but here is what I did during the last two weeks...

Two weeks before I focused on the problems that costed me the more... I did not have any problems with sentence correction so I didn´t bother to practice these q's... I focused on my weakest spots: Word Problems, Critical Reasoning, and RC....

One week before I didn´t do anything! I wanted to be fresh for the test so I started to sleep and eat well...I also ate a lot of almonds as according to my mom (lol) they help your mental ability... When you face your eternal deamon, anything helps!

By the way, I don´t think you have a low GMAT... I think that if you submit a strong application you could get into any school you want with any score above 660. (A friend of mine got accepted at Kellogg with 630, another to tuck with 650, another to Duke with 630)... you may want to consider this to take some weight off your shoulders and avoid being nervous during the test...

You may also want to consier that the adcom compares applicants' GMAT not globally, but more regionally... I take that you might be Spaniard, so try to investigate how is the score average among Europeans... I'm Latin American (with a Spanish nationality), and after asking several schools I was told that on average LatAms score 650, and that that would be the universe to which I would be compared against.

It really sucks that you are GMATing during the holidays! Hope this is over for you soon.

Good Luck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Send PM
Hi Rafilla
would you mind giving us a background on your profile? Approx GPA, Yrs of work ex, international experience, extra activities? I'm planning to app to Fuqua and Tuck next year and also scored a 690 on GMAT. Wondering if that's enough... Any pointers would help. If u prefer PMing that works too..
Thanks for your debriefing!!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 297 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: General
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Send PM
wow you never gave up, that is just so awesome! congrats on your acceptance to Duke
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
Send PM
Congrats on your acceptance to Duke! I have my eyes set on Fuqua as well. I intend to apply for round six, and I have been studying (very intensely) since November.

Interestingly, as I began my studies, I felt much the same about my enineering abilities. The OG quickly put me in my place though.

Wish me luck brother ... I hope to see you on the other side - cheers!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
You're so right about practice...
"This exam could get tough if you don´t practice a lot so I needed to fully dedicate myself to practice!"

If I don't practice Quant question for few days, I feel I'm forgetting shortcuts and formulas.
Anyhow, this is truly an inspiring story.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Congratulations for your result!
It's great to see another member of the Fuqua family
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
rafilla442000 wrote:
noboru wrote:
Hi!

Thanks in advance!

Hello noboru,

First of all, great avatar!!! As I previously posted... I'm no expert on the GMAT but here is what I did during the last two weeks...

Two weeks before I focused on the problems that costed me the more... I did not have any problems with sentence correction so I didn´t bother to practice these q's... I focused on my weakest spots: Word Problems, Critical Reasoning, and RC....

One week before I didn´t do anything! I wanted to be fresh for the test so I started to sleep and eat well...I also ate a lot of almonds as according to my mom (lol) they help your mental ability... When you face your eternal deamon, anything helps!

By the way, I don´t think you have a low GMAT... I think that if you submit a strong application you could get into any school you want with any score above 660. (A friend of mine got accepted at Kellogg with 630, another to tuck with 650, another to Duke with 630)... you may want to consider this to take some weight off your shoulders and avoid being nervous during the test...

You may also want to consier that the adcom compares applicants' GMAT not globally, but more regionally... I take that you might be Spaniard, so try to investigate how is the score average among Europeans... I'm Latin American (with a Spanish nationality), and after asking several schools I was told that on average LatAms score 650, and that that would be the universe to which I would be compared against.

It really sucks that you are GMATing during the holidays! Hope this is over for you soon.

Good Luck

Good post!

I have the same issue - Verbal seems to be my main issue - CR and RC.what approach did you use? My verbals scores are dragging me down. I have taken MGMAT course twice and hence i dont think it would be worth it to take it a third time? If you can share your verbal strategies, i would appreciate it
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
 Q49  V42
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Send PM
rafilla442000 wrote:

I now think back and understand my faults which I would like to share with you:
1- Take this test seriously
2- Dedicate time to practice
3- Don't just start going through the problems... you will end up making the same mistakes again and again! What is needed is to fully understand the concepts asked! (for me, the MGMAT boot camp was my saviour)

Please do not give up! I am one of those scary stories with a happy ending! But please don't become one! Its too stressfull!

I wanted to share my experience with you and hopefully make you avoid the same mistakes I made.

Good luck to everyone!!!

By the way I just got accepted to Duke!

Hi congrats on finally achieving ur goal.
Please clarify what u meant by Don't just start going through the problems... you will end up making the same mistakes again and again! What is needed is to fully understand the concepts asked! (for me, the MGMAT boot camp was my saviour)[/b]
How can 1 go thru the problems without understanding the techniques and the concepts
If i were to solve a Weaken question, i would know that i have to bring to light some fact thats has been ignored in the argument.
However its inspiring that u finally got ur goal at the 5th attempt.
This is inspiring for guys like me who r just depending on hope
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8533 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
One quetion here.- How do schools think about taking the GMAT so many times? Specially if there is no significant improvement?

I rememeber some time ago, when the schools only had access to the last 3 attempts, so the fourth attempt was "like the first for the schools".

Thoughts on that?

Thanks!

PS: Thanks, rafilla for your advice. And you are right about where I'm from :-)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
What a story!

Congrats!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mundasingh123 wrote:
rafilla442000 wrote:

I now think back and understand my faults which I would like to share with you:
1- Take this test seriously
2- Dedicate time to practice
3- Don't just start going through the problems... you will end up making the same mistakes again and again! What is needed is to fully understand the concepts asked! (for me, the MGMAT boot camp was my saviour)

Please do not give up! I am one of those scary stories with a happy ending! But please don't become one! Its too stressfull!

I wanted to share my experience with you and hopefully make you avoid the same mistakes I made.

Good luck to everyone!!!

By the way I just got accepted to Duke!

Hi congrats on finally achieving ur goal.
Please clarify what u meant by Don't just start going through the problems... you will end up making the same mistakes again and again! What is needed is to fully understand the concepts asked! (for me, the MGMAT boot camp was my saviour)[/b]
How can 1 go thru the problems without understanding the techniques and the concepts
If i were to solve a Weaken question, i would know that i have to bring to light some fact thats has been ignored in the argument.
However its inspiring that u finally got ur goal at the 5th attempt.
This is inspiring for guys like me who r just depending on hope

Sorry if I was not clear... mundasingh123
What I meant I that I tried to use all the shortcuts provided in the Princeton Review whenever a reached a certain type of problem without reasoning them... Por example, I understand the basic triangles and could figure the sides lenth using the PR shortcuts, but I did not understand the logic behind a triangle per se (their internal angles sum 180°, the way the sides add up in a 3,4,5 triangles)... I guess what I tried to say is that don´t just jump into trying to solve the problems simply by using certain technique... Initially you have to dominate the basics of each topic.

Good Luck!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
rafilla442000 wrote:
... you will end up making the same mistakes again and again!

By the way, it's an important sign that you are doing something wrong.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts