GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jul 2018, 07:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My experience with the Executive Assessment

new topic post reply Update application status  
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
My experience with the Executive Assessment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Jan 2018, 08:15
I’m writing this because not much seems to written yet about the EA. I took the test today and want to share thoughts while they’re fresh and before the wine kicks in. In bullet form because I’m lazy:

- I’m 48 years old and haven’t dealt with the material on the test in nearly 30 years
- I scheduled myself for the GMAT, bought a GMAT study book, studied for a while, then concluded that if the GMAT is what’s needed to “go to the next level,” then my current level will have to be good enough.
- I later learned about the EA and scheduled it. I only used the official online GMAC tools, nothing else.
- I didn’t finish the study materials (I’m also doing a calculus course online to fix an old crummy grade).
- I didn’t take any timed practice tests. I wish I had.
- The test was hard. Time management was my biggest weakness. If I was doing it again (and I may), I would quickly complete questions I know I can answer, then go back. I wasted too much time trying to solve hard questions.
- Time management was not an issue on the verbal section, which turned out to be my highest-scoring section. I finished that one early and didn’t spend much time reviewing.
- In general I thought the GMAC study questions were harder than those found on the test. That’s a good thing.
- Final score: IR 11 / Verbal 18 / Quant 11 / overall 160
- Unclear what those scores mean
- Happy to answer questions

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by rgbradley3 on 26 Jan 2018, 17:14.
Last edited by rgbradley3 on 27 Jan 2018, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology
WE: Nursing (Health Care)
Re: My experience with the Executive Assessment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2018, 00:30
Time management was my biggest challenge too. I got a 150. Not sure what it means either.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 18:05
A new data point: a representative from one of the EMBA programs that accepts the EA said that scores tend to cluster around the high 140s to low 150s, and they see individual section scores in the high single to low double digits. FWIW.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2018, 12:18
I am early thirties and decided to take the EA in lieu of the GMAT due to the fact that it was shorter and there was no geometry, which meant I could spend less time on test prep since I have a full time job.

I did a little practice on GMAT study guides and then purchased the GMAC study tools for the EA. I took the entire GMAC course twice and the IR prep tool once.

I found the test to be exactly what is was purported to be - a mini-GMAT, with no geometry and a focus on the IR section. The prep tools were good for familiarizing yourself with the difficulty and structure of the questions. What it lacked was a teaching course for topics, but that can be gained from the plethora for GMAT materials available.

As in any test, preparing for time management is key. I ran out of time in the quant section.

I got a 13, 13, and 14 for a total score of 161. Unsure of what that means or what percentile rank I achieved. From the meager info out there, I believe that a score of 150+ is sufficient.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2018, 14:09
I think that's a very good score, Jazzy3113. Congrats!
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 03:01
Thank you for the details. This will be really helpful for other applicants!

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 11:18
Thanks for the info. Could you guys comment on how long you studied for the exam? 2 weeks to 1 month?

I am trying to formulate a studying strategy but don't have time to go through all the MGMAT books. I wonder if its sufficient to just work on the 300 EA practice questions and IR prep and just make sure I understand those problems well.

What do you think?
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
B
Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 18:28
Hi,

Yes, your overall score will be perceived as very good at 160. Most scores we have seen so far at MBA Admit.com have been around 150-154, and those candidates have gained admission to top EMBA programs like Wharton and Columbia Business School. One of our lowest-scoring candidates, with a 141, gained admission to the sole school she applied to, Columbia EMBA. So, that gives you a sense of how low you can go and still get into great schools. For the top EMBA program, though, I think a score less than 138 would likely need a re-take, though. The top EMBA programs will be most concerned with the quant score, so if that comes in low, you should try to point out to the admissions committee other credentials you have that demonstrate what they call "quant readiness".

Best wishes,
Dr. Shel Watts
http://www.mbaadmit.com
email: drshelwatts@mbaadmit.com

rgbradley3 wrote:
I’m writing this because not much seems to written yet about the EA. I took the test today and want to share thoughts while they’re fresh and before the wine kicks in. In bullet form because I’m lazy:

- I’m 48 years old and haven’t dealt with the material on the test in nearly 30 years
- I scheduled myself for the GMAT, bought a GMAT study book, studied for a while, then concluded that if the GMAT is what’s needed to “go to the next level,” then my current level will have to be good enough.
- I later learned about the EA and scheduled it. I only used the official online GMAC tools, nothing else.
- I didn’t finish the study materials (I’m also doing a calculus course online to fix an old crummy grade).
- I didn’t take any timed practice tests. I wish I had.
- The test was hard. Time management was my biggest weakness. If I was doing it again (and I may), I would quickly complete questions I know I can answer, then go back. I wasted too much time trying to solve hard questions.
- Time management was not an issue on the verbal section, which turned out to be my highest-scoring section. I finished that one early and didn’t spend much time reviewing.
- In general I thought the GMAC study questions were harder than those found on the test. That’s a good thing.
- Final score: IR 11 / Verbal 18 / Quant 11 / overall 160
- Unclear what those scores mean
- Happy to answer questions

Dr. Shel Watts, the Founder of MBA Admit,.com, is a Harvard and Oxford graduate with Harvard admissions experience and over 26 years of work with MBA applicants. Clients can opt to work directly with Dr. Shel in the admissions process. http://www.mbaadmit.com

Direct email address: info@mbaadmit.com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2018, 15:41
Just following this thread as the EA is my biggest worry. Is there a special pack of questions as the IR has been the hardest for me.

Re: My experience with the Executive Assessment   [#permalink] 12 Jun 2018, 15:41

My experience with the Executive Assessment

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap