GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 04:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My experience with the GMAT (720) with 4 months of prep

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
My experience with the GMAT (720) with 4 months of prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Dec 2017, 02:55
So finally around two weeks ago, i mustered up enough courage to finally book the test.
What encouraged me was the 700 score i got on GMATprep test 2 but i was not quite confident i will be able to replicate the performance in the final exam. And in the end i went through with it and Got a 720 today (Q50,V30, IR7) yet to get the AWA score.

So a little about myself:
I am a chemical engineer and graduated in 2015. I worked for 2 years in a pharmaceutical firm and then finally decided to take GMAT seriously. Even though i tried preparing for the GMAT while working but i couldn't find much quality time to devote to it. So i left the job for the sole purpose of preparation in August. I knew that i will miss the round 1 and will have only a limited time for R2 but i went through with it anyway.

The journey:
After getting relieved from my work, i started my classes at the princeton review center located near my place. The course went like a breeze. After spending 3 months i was nowhere near my goal which was a 700+ score. By the way, my base diagnostic score was 610 (Q48,V27) on a Princenton review test. My quant was a bit on the stronger side from the start but i was miserable at verbal. During the course i did not improve my score much. Not sure about what went wrong, i kept on practicing problems but with no results in accuracy. At the end of the course i gave a GMATprep test and got 620 (Q48,V28) and only got discouraged.

The change:
While being frustrated over being not able to improve my accuracy, i started searching on the internet and finally stumbled upon one of the debriefs on GMATCLUB that changed my method of studying. Even now i regret that i didn't find it earlier as it could have helped me achieve higher. The problem that was holding me back turned out to be "reviewing". I was never giving attention to why the incorrect answers are incorrect and why the correct one is correct. After incorporating it in my learning method what i saw was leaps in improvement. The jump in score was quite amazing. From a 620 i went to scoring 670 (Q48, V34) in review exams. Finally after 20 odd days i went for the GMAT prep test 2 and got a score of 700 (Q50, V34) which gave me a lot confidence. So i booked a test soon since the R2 deadlines are really close.

The test day:
I followed my usual routine woke up at around 7 and had a workout for an hour. After having a good long bath and breakfast i headed off to the test center and arrived half an hour early. I did not rush to the test and took 10 mins to calm my nerves first. I took some coffee in a thermal bottle which i used to recharge myself during the breaks and ate some chocolates as a light snack. I did feel that the break time was quite a bit less and you have to quick on your feet to be back on time.

Section order: Q-V-IR-AWA (just my personal preference to attempt the section which i am good at first (boosts my confidence))
Quant went like a breeze was left with around 5 minutes spare, Verbal was really rough with a lot of SC questions thrown at me (5 in a row), some of which i felt were much higher level for the start. What surprised me most were CR questions i got 7 assumption questions out of 11 or 12 questions which kinda confused me.
RCs were not difficult to understand, but the answer choices were (too close).

Study Materials:
OG 2018
Manhattan SC
Manhattan CR
TPR review books (for beginners)
Veritas Question Bank (helped me a lot)

I seriously think that TPR material is outdated and needs fresh questions and would not recommend the TPR material to anyone aiming for 700. Also, the veritas question was really helpful in improving my score.

My advice: Review, review and review.

Test scores:( yeah i gave them all within 4 months)
TPR 1: 610(Q48,V27)
TPR 2: 590(Q43,V29)
TPR 3: 630(Q47,V30)
TPR 4: 560(Q48,V20)
TPR 5: 620(Q48,V28)
Manhattan: 610 (Q37,V36)
Economist : 610 (Q50,V26)
GMAT prep 1: 620 (Q48,V28)
Veritas Prep 1: 620 (Q50, V28)
Veritas Prep 2: 640 (Q50,V30)
TPR 6: 670 (Q48, V34)
TPR 7: 670 (Q 48, V34)
GMATprep 2: 700 (Q50,V34)
Final GMAT: 720 (Q50, V38)

Originally posted by Icexfire on 04 Dec 2017, 09:53.
Last edited by Narenn on 07 Dec 2017, 02:55, edited 1 time in total.
Formatting
Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesJamboree Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-26-2015
GPA: 3.45
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: My experience with the GMAT (720) with 4 months of prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 10:13
It looks like you came a long way with your constant motivation and Desire to reach your goal. Congrats on crafting your potential. Good one. All the very best for the application process.

--------------------
Shravan
GMATPrep--430, Q30,V20

++ 150Hrs ++

VeritasPrep--610, Q45,V29

Re: My experience with the GMAT (720) with 4 months of prep &nbs [#permalink] 06 Dec 2017, 10:13

My experience with the GMAT (720) with 4 months of prep

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap