GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jul 2018, 04:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My first gmat experience, bad practice score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
My first gmat experience, bad practice score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 09:30
Im planning to do a gmat this year. Today I did a practice test and my score isnt even close to the score im aiming for (550).
I have to say this style of examination is new to me. The of questions are not so familiar to me. Also, my math is not the greatest, but I think if I will study a lot there will be a good chance to obtain the target score.

My score is 230 Q 9, V 13 and IR 2.

I know it will be a long journey so, Im hoping someone can give me tips and tricks on how to obtain this score. I have around 2 hours a day during working days to study and I can also study during the weekends.
Recently I bought a premium subcription to magoosh for 12 months together with the OG and OG for quantitative and verbal.

Lastly I have one question regarding the official score. Is it true that your final score is only based on the quantitative and verbal part?
If so, can I skip the IR and AWA parts to get a target score of 550 or higher?
Magoosh Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: My first gmat experience, bad practice score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 09:41
Aaditya96 wrote:
Lastly I have one question regarding the official score. Is it true that your final score is only based on the quantitative and verbal part?
Yes, the total (200-800) score is based on only the quantitative and verbal sections. Maybe in the future IR will also contribute to the total, but we're not quite there yet.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to skip IR and AWA. You can choose to keep them for the end (select section order) and get reasonably good scores in both sections. Keep in mind that schools do not ignore these sections. Some schools, for example, give IR quite a lot of importance.

Ascore Prep | Online | Bangalore

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
D
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
My first gmat experience, bad practice score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 10:11
Aaditya96 wrote:
Im planning to do a gmat this year. Today I did a practice test and my score isnt even close to the score im aiming for (550).
I have to say this style of examination is new to me. The of questions are not so familiar to me. Also, my math is not the greatest, but I think if I will study a lot there will be a good chance to obtain the target score.

My score is 230 Q 9, V 13 and IR 2.

I know it will be a long journey so, Im hoping someone can give me tips and tricks on how to obtain this score. I have around 2 hours a day during working days to study and I can also study during the weekends.
Recently I bought a premium subcription to magoosh for 12 months together with the OG and OG for quantitative and verbal.

Hi,

To be true, half of the battle you have already won, and it is few months from now you will be at your dream score, much more than 550. Remember that GMAT is a very long and painful journey that has to be travelled alone, but rest assured that GMAT club community is immensely helpful. You will know this with time. Dream your moment of success every day and that will keep you motivated for a long time. Also, don't be complacent with routine. It needs a religious determination to crack GMAT. Develop good habits for studying and keep yourself healthy.

It is true that score of 800 comes from Q and V only, but that does not mean AWA and IR are out of scope. They weigh, but less. As of now you can avoid them for some time and start with Q and V.

For Quant follow : Bunuel, VeritasPrepKarishma, pushpitkc, GMATPrepNow, EMPOWERgmatRichC, generis

For Verbal follow: Daagh, Skywalker18, mikemcgarry, sayantanc2k, GMATNinja

Start from these links:

1. https://gmatclub.com/forum/topic130609.html#p1073182

2. https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-qu ... 7/?fl=menu

3. https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-gmat- ... 1/?fl=menu

4. https://gmatclub.com/forum/viewforumtags.php

There are many more links that you will find with time. Try to be regular with your studies and learn from your mistakes.
Keep record of your errors and learnings from Day-1.

Incase of any queries, please post.

Regards,

QZ

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 11:22
Hey Aaditya96

I would like to bring to your attention, this very forum which you can use very effectively
to build your concepts(alongside the Magoosh course). The Official Guides are best used
once you have a reasonable idea about the various concepts involved in the GMAT.

1. Follow Bunuel at the Math Forum(for Quant Section), whose signature contains some
awesome questions that give you the true taste of GMAT(Baker's Dozen, 12 Easy Pieces)
Even otherwise, solve each and every question he puts up on the forum. They will give you
all the practice that you need for Quant.

2. Once, you begin with the preparation for GMAT, dedicate every ounce of your free time
to it. Since you are only beginning with your preparation, it makes sense to clear your
concepts for every topic and follow it up with some practice. You can find all the questions
you need for practice, here at GMATClub

These are some links which I found to be very beneficial
1. GMAT Club Maths Book: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-87417.html
2. Quantitative Megathread: https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-gma ... 44512.html
3. GMATClub RC Strategy Guide: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-s- ... 83101.html

Last but not the least, you might want to check this study plan out if you find
https://gmatclub.com/forum/study-plan-383/

Hope that helps you in some way!

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Top Contributor
SVP
SVP
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 13:48
Top Contributor
Aaditya96 wrote:

Yes, your final score is based just on quant and verbal. That doesn't mean you can actually skip. You still have to type something and click submit for AWA - and click some answer for IR. So you can choose randomly at your own risk. You don't need the absolute best score in IR - but you don't want to do so poorly that you get a low score that takes away from an otherwise good GMAT score. So don't bring negative attention with a bad IR score.

Instead, put some effort into the IR questions - but when you feel spending the extra effort won't really help you answer the question correctly - then take a guess and move on. That's different from skipping IR - because you still have to click through it.

You can find practice IR and other types of GMAT questions here:

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -reasoning

http://www.gmatpill.com
Re: My first gmat experience, bad practice score &nbs [#permalink] 30 Mar 2018, 13:48

My first gmat experience, bad practice score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR JULY
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap