It is currently 18 Feb 2018, 14:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My gmat exam will be in three weeks----Advice Please

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
My gmat exam will be in three weeks----Advice Please [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 07:10
Hello everyone,
In the last three years I took the gmat four times and the highest score was 450 (q41, v18). In those four times I did not do any study at all. I only wanted something magic to happen and that was a big mistake. Back then I did not know about this forum and any prep courses . I am trying to get a score above 650 to get into some PhD program in Business.

Now, my exam will be on the May.11.2017. And I have been preparing for GMAT for almost 5 months. I went through Kaplan course on demand, also I studied all of the Manhattan GMATprep books , Powerscore CR and the OG 2017 . I took the Manhattan GMAT free test and score 520 (q36,v26) and veritas free test and scored 560(q45, v22). In both exam I kipped the IR and AWA. I am saving the gmat prep to the last week before the exam.
I do not understand the reason behind my bad verbal score. I am very comfortable with the SC and a little bet with the CR, But RC is a beast, I always get fooled by inference questions.
I only need some advices here, I am not looking for someone to sell me his product because I went through the best gmat books.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesMagoosh Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V32
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Re: My gmat exam will be in three weeks----Advice Please [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 08:19
Hi Nawaf52,

There is no magic possible in GMAT. Speaking from my experience, you need to focus on the efforts rather than prayers. I would advise you the following:

1) Don't go for too much outside material . Just focus on official material
2) Revise the concepts thoroughly. Don't do too much practice without getting any learning out of that. Do 4 problem but learn something from every problem
3) If your SC is good, make it so strong that you score more than 90 percentile in that. SC helped me in the exam. I was almost 100%. My belief is that if one area is super strong then even 9-10 incorrect answers wouldn't drop your score too much.
4) When you solve CR - focus on the context and scope of the argument. For SC- focus on every word in the choices. Many a times, we tend to overlook a problem which was very evident and loose a point. Same goes of RC .

Please focus on Quality not Quantity.

Regards
Prakhar
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 11:07
Hi nawaf52,

Based on the information that you provided in this post, there are a number of issues to discuss:

1) Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your practice scores can become - and that's likely what has happened here. By skipping sections, you took shorter, easier Exams that required less effort than what you'll need for the Official GMAT. If you did anything else that was unrealistic (such as taking the CAT at home, taking it at different time of day from when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc. then the score results could be even more inflated. This is meant to say that you are probably not at the mid-500s ability level right now.

2) If you were actually at the mid-500s level, then you would likely need at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study to hit 650+. Considering how you took your CATs though, you will likely require at least 3 months of that type of study. With your current Test Date, you have just over 3 weeks of study time remaining - so you might want to consider pushing back your Test Date.

3) The GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a much higher level. However, 'your way' of approaching the Test hasn't gotten you close to your goal - so you might want to consider that some expert 'guidance' will be required. The amount of money that you spent taking the GMAT those prior 4 times would have been enough to pay for a GMAT Course, the guidance that you need AND the fee to take the GMAT (with some money left over). Considering the magnitude of what having a PhD could mean, wanting to avoid spending money on a GMAT Course right now doesn't make much sense.

PhD Programs tend to be highly competitive, since there are so few spots and all of the applicants tend to be really qualified. As such, you can expect that all of the applications will be 'nitpicked' - and you don't want your application to have any perceived 'weak spots' (such as a lower GMAT Score).

1) What are the application deadlines for the Programs that you're interested in?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

SVP
SVP
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 03:55
nawaf52 wrote:
Hello everyone,
In the last three years I took the gmat four times and the highest score was 450 (q41, v18). In those four times I did not do any study at all. I only wanted something magic to happen and that was a big mistake. Back then I did not know about this forum and any prep courses . I am trying to get a score above 650 to get into some PhD program in Business.

Now, my exam will be on the May.11.2017. And I have been preparing for GMAT for almost 5 months. I went through Kaplan course on demand, also I studied all of the Manhattan GMATprep books , Powerscore CR and the OG 2017 . I took the Manhattan GMAT free test and score 520 (q36,v26) and veritas free test and scored 560(q45, v22). In both exam I kipped the IR and AWA. I am saving the gmat prep to the last week before the exam.
I do not understand the reason behind my bad verbal score. I am very comfortable with the SC and a little bet with the CR, But RC is a beast, I always get fooled by inference questions.
I only need some advices here, I am not looking for someone to sell me his product because I went through the best gmat books.

To improve from a certain level, you need to dig down deep in each problem type.

SC: The questions test various concepts such as S-V agreement, modifiers, parallelism etc. Find out what troubles you.
CR: There might be certain types of questions that are troubling you. May be Assumption, may be conclusion, inference etc.
You need to find that out and then practice them
RC: This again can be drilled down into different types of questions and also different topics. See what questions and topics trouble you the most and then practice accordingly.
Quants: Again try to break the questions in topics such as Algebra, Number system (very important), Geometry, PnC etc.

As an addition, start preparing an error log and keep a note of all the mistakes you made and the lessons you learnt from the problems. This will ensure you do not make the same mistake again.
Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 04:35
nawaf52 wrote:
Hello everyone,

TBH, just go through all the official questions in verbal. It is alright if you get a few ones wrong, but try understanding why you got it wrong and if you do get it correct, try breaking down all the answers to its core and prove why it is wrong. After 500+ questions, you will see yourself sensing some pattern in the questions and usually you can narrow down to a max of 2 answer choices. All the best!

Hit +1 Kudos If you like my post! :)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 09:19
Thank you very much for your reply. I see some patterns in sc and cr but not rc.
Re: My gmat exam will be in three weeks----Advice Please   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2017, 09:19

My gmat exam will be in three weeks----Advice Please

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap