GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Apr 2019, 17:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My GMAT Journey to 740 (Q50, V40)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
My GMAT Journey to 740 (Q50, V40)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 08:55
A little background to start with....
I'm from India and currently in my 3rd year of engineering at a reputed college majoring in Information Technology branch. I gave my GMAT in March 2019 specifically for ISB YLP and scored 740 (Q50 V40 IR7 AWA4.5) in my first attempt. My journey started in the month of December 2018 when my seniors informed me about the YLP program that ISB, Hyderabad offers for undergraduates. My interest has always been in the management side of projects and events and I had MBA plans since the beginning of my engineering years.

Kicking off the prep- JANUARY 2019
I googled a little to find out about the exam and how to go about the prep. It was the first time that I visited GMATClub by recommendation of many Quora answers. I read a lot of posts started off by giving the official GMATPrep exam that GMAC offers. I scored a 660 in the first attempt and found out that while my Quant was strong (Thanks to the competitive exams that regularly happen at school level), my verbal skills were below par.

GMAT Resources JAN-MAR 2019
After giving the test, I started doing the GMAT Official Guide 2019 and the Official Verbal, Quant guides which came in a bundle. I specifically used the online tool that is provided with the book to prepare so as to get a feel of the exam. I made a target of solving 30 Quant and 30 Verbal Questions every day.
Midway during the prep, I realized that I need to improve my basic fundamentals of Verbal and Manhattan Books helped there.
Reading, Making note of the errors and redoing the wrong questions, again and again, improved my verbal skills a lot.

Apart from the books, I frequently visited GMATClub for solutions to all the wrong answers as well as GMAT strategies. souvik101990 and GMATNinja helped a lot. I read all articles written by these 2 people and developed my strategies accordingly. A big kudos to them. I owe it all to you guys!

GMAT Mock Tests-
I started giving mock tests on Sundays to keep a check on my preparation.
Here's a list of the exams I gave and the score I got:
GMAT Prep
Mock 1-660
Mock 2-710
Mock 1(after refreshing)-720
Mock 2(after refreshing)-740
Manhattan Test 1-700
Veritas Prep Free-710

Test Day-
I was very nervous going into the exam as I was fearing about the Verbal section. I had my exam in the 9 am slot at the Pearson Office, Noida. I began with the Verbal section followed by Quant, IR, and AWA so as to get over with the score defining sections in 2 hours before the fatigue came in. Verbal went strange. I was not confident of my answers as the questions were pretty tough from the standard of OG and other mocks. But this was a positive sign as GMAT is an adaptive exam and difficult questions meant that I was already on Medium-High Level. SC went smoothly, as did CR but RC was where I had to make a few guesses and Verbal was finished with 3 minutes to spare.
Quant was comparatively easier than the Official guide questions and didn't take much time. (Although I got stuck on one geometry question and had to make a random guess as I had already wasted 5 minutes on that question).
Once the Quant and Verbal Sections were done, I was a little relaxed because I knew the final score would have already been calculated and I just need to keep a calm head for another hour and make sure that I get a decent score in IR and AWA.
After I was finished with the AWA Section, the invigilator came in and told me to press the next button where my scores would be displayed. I was just hoping for a 700+ score considering that I was not confident about my verbal attempts. The screen displayed 740 and I was shocked to see the score. For a moment I was sitting there, staring at the screen, thinking that this is a dream but it was real. I took a big risk by not opting for any tutoring/courses and my efforts paid off at the end!

This GMAT journey has been life-changing for me. While I don't wish to apply to many B-Schools abroad (Home Sickness problem :p), I would surely try Indian B-Schools which will accept GMAT scores for MBA Admissions.
Director
Director
V
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: My GMAT Journey to 740 (Q50, V40)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 09:19
TheSpeakingGuy wrote:
I'm from India and currently in my 3rd year of engineering at a reputed college majoring in Information Technology branch. I gave my GMAT in March 2019 specifically for ISB YLP and scored 740 (Q50 V40 IR7 AWA4.5) in my first attempt. My journey started in the month of December 2018 when my seniors informed me about the YLP program that ISB, Hyderabad offers for undergraduates. My interest has always been in the management side of projects and events and I had MBA plans since the beginning of my engineering years.

I googled a little to find out about the exam and how to go about the prep. It was the first time that I visited GMATClub by recommendation of many Quora answers. I read a lot of posts started off by giving the official GMATPrep exam that GMAC offers. I scored a 660 in the first attempt and found out that while my Quant was strong (Thanks to the competitive exams that regularly happen at school level), my verbal skills were below par.

After giving the test, I started doing the GMAT Official Guide 2019 and the Official Verbal, Quant guides which came in a bundle. I specifically used the online tool that is provided with the book to prepare so as to get a feel of the exam. I made a target of solving 30 Quant and 30 Verbal Questions every day.
Midway during the prep, I realized that I need to improve my basic fundamentals of Verbal and Manhattan Books helped there.
Reading, Making note of the errors and redoing the wrong questions, again and again, improved my verbal skills a lot.

Apart from the books, I frequently visited GMATClub for solutions to all the wrong answers as well as GMAT strategies. souvik101990 and GMATNinja helped a lot. I read all articles written by these 2 people and developed my strategies accordingly. A big kudos to them. I owe it all to you guys!

GMAT Mock Tests-
GMAT Prep
Mock 1-660
Mock 2-710
Manhattan Test 1-700
Veritas Prep Free-710

Test Day-
I was very nervous going into the exam as I was fearing about the Verbal section. I had my exam in the 9 am slot at the Pearson Office, Noida. I began with the Verbal section followed by Quant, IR, and AWA so as to get over with the score defining sections in 2 hours before the fatigue came in. Verbal went strange. I was not confident of my answers as the questions were pretty tough from the standard of OG and other mocks. But this was a positive sign as GMAT is an adaptive exam and difficult questions meant that I was already on Medium-High Level. SC went smoothly, as did CR but RC was where I had to make a few guesses and Verbal was finished with 3 minutes to spare.
Quant was comparatively easier than the Official guide questions and didn't take much time. (Although I got stuck on one geometry question and had to make a random guess as I had already wasted 5 minutes on that question).
Once the Quant and Verbal Sections were done, I was a little relaxed because I knew the final score would have already been calculated and I just need to keep a calm head for another hour and make sure that I get a decent score in IR and AWA.
After I was finished with the AWA Section, the invigilator came in and told me to press the next button where my scores would be displayed. I was just hoping for a 700+ score considering that I was not confident about my verbal attempts. The screen displayed 740 and I was shocked to see the score. For a moment I was sitting there, staring at the screen, thinking that this is a dream but it was real. I took a big risk by not opting for any tutoring/courses and my efforts paid off at the end!

This GMAT journey has been life-changing for me. While I don't wish to apply to many B-Schools abroad (Home Sickness problem :p), I would surely try Indian B-Schools which will accept GMAT scores for MBA Admissions.

Congrats on a getting an amazing score on GMAT. Thanks for sharing a detailed debrief. All the best for the applications.

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 490 Q47 V13
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 10:15
TheSpeakingGuy wrote:

GMAT Mock Tests-
GMAT Prep
Mock 1-660
Mock 2-710
Manhattan Test 1-700
Veritas Prep Free-710

Test Day-

Congrats on your great score. Thank you for sharing your experince. Hope you will admit your dremt school. All the best :thumbup:
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 15:51
740 is a great score - congratulations on the amazing score, and thank you for sharing your debrief. Very insightful read.
All the best with the application process!
G
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 09:24
TheSpeakingGuy wrote:

GMAT Mock Tests-
GMAT Prep
Mock 1-660
Mock 2-710
Manhattan Test 1-700
Veritas Prep Free-710

Test Day-

Congratulations on a great score! 740 is a good score for ISB. You just need to work on other parts of your application. Could you also share with the club about the number of dedicated hours per day or per month that you studies for GMAT?
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 09:56
brilliant !!!

All the best for application !!!

Self preparation takes lot of effort and discipline !!!

kudos !!!!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: My GMAT Journey to 740 (Q50, V40)   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2019, 09:56

My GMAT Journey to 740 (Q50, V40)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap