It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 13:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My journey; still a long way to go.....

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 64

Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
My journey; still a long way to go..... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 12:28
Hi All,

I know many here would be in the same situation as I am and so i am writing this debrief.

My score is not a fancy one, it is jut 640. But i want to share my experience of my journey from 570 - 640.

In year 2016, I went to Princeton review coaching as it is thought to be one of the best institute in Chennai, India. It helped me a little but not a lot. After continuing my self study, i wrote my first GMAT exam and i was highly confident that i will cross the 650 barrier as continuously i was getting around 650 in my MGMAT tests and GMAT prep tests. But It was a great disappointment to see 570 on the screen. I was shattered.

Then due to some office commitments i was not able to give time to my studies and started my journey again from June 2017 onward. It was a little difficult this time due to some personal miss happenings but yes, i was determined to take a shot. I studied from all the official material i had. Gave all MGMAT. Gave some Veritas CATs. My score was constantly around 690 Twice i crossed 700 and in the last CAT (GMAT prep) before final test i scored 730. I was confident to cross 700 barrier. Night before the exam i was not able to sleep because of tension. After taking sleep of about 3 hours only, I started for the Exam center. I was a bit late due to traffic but then i was in a good mood. Exam went good but again i was shocked to see 640. I was not able to comeback of that shock for about a month.

I know many are there who faced the same as i am facing now. I am preparing again and will write the exam sometime in January.
Hope to get expected score this time. I will share my full prep strategy after completing the exam.

Please share your ideas about why there is a huge difference between my mock scores and my final results and what steps shall i take

Thanks

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2298 [0], given: 501

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: My journey; still a long way to go..... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 11:42
Sorry that you had such a rough experience! But I think you already mostly answered your own question about why your actual score was lower than your practice test scores:

asthagupta wrote:
Night before the exam i was not able to sleep because of tension. After taking sleep of about 3 hours only, I started for the Exam center.

A lot of hard-working people are very much accustomed to "functioning" on little sleep, but I can 100% promise that your cognition will be BADLY impaired if you're not consistently well-rested leading up to your exam. There's a mountain of academic research to support the idea that 1) to reach peak cognitive and physical performance, most people need to consistently get around 8 hours of sleep per night; 2) very, very few people are exceptions to this, though plenty of people swear that they are.

Second, if you were too anxious to sleep well, I suspect strongly that the anxiety hurt your performance on the exam as well. It's not sexy, but I can promise that it played a role -- even if you didn't feel consciously nervous or jittery.

You might want to take a look at this article, in case you recognize some of the other factors: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 46658.html.

Good luck with the retake! Obviously, you have some pretty good skills, so hopefully you'll feel much more comfortable next time you're in the testing room. :)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2298 [0], given: 501

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 96

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 13:37
asthagupta wrote:
Hi All,

I know many here would be in the same situation as I am and so i am writing this debrief.

My score is not a fancy one, it is jut 640. But i want to share my experience of my journey from 570 - 640.

In year 2016, I went to Princeton review coaching as it is thought to be one of the best institute in Chennai, India. It helped me a little but not a lot. After continuing my self study, i wrote my first GMAT exam and i was highly confident that i will cross the 650 barrier as continuously i was getting around 650 in my MGMAT tests and GMAT prep tests. But It was a great disappointment to see 570 on the screen. I was shattered.

Then due to some office commitments i was not able to give time to my studies and started my journey again from June 2017 onward. It was a little difficult this time due to some personal miss happenings but yes, i was determined to take a shot. I studied from all the official material i had. Gave all MGMAT. Gave some Veritas CATs. My score was constantly around 690 Twice i crossed 700 and in the last CAT (GMAT prep) before final test i scored 730. I was confident to cross 700 barrier. Night before the exam i was not able to sleep because of tension. After taking sleep of about 3 hours only, I started for the Exam center. I was a bit late due to traffic but then i was in a good mood. Exam went good but again i was shocked to see 640. I was not able to comeback of that shock for about a month.

I know many are there who faced the same as i am facing now. I am preparing again and will write the exam sometime in January.
Hope to get expected score this time. I will share my full prep strategy after completing the exam.

Please share your ideas about why there is a huge difference between my mock scores and my final results and what steps shall i take

Thanks

The exact same thing happened with me. In mgmt test and gmat prep test, i scored aorund 650..But on test day I scored 560. The day before test day, I did not sleep well..May be this can be a reason for my low score.

Intern
Intern
B

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 06:39
GMATNinja wrote:
Sorry that you had such a rough experience! But I think you already mostly answered your own question about why your actual score was lower than your practice test scores:

asthagupta wrote:
Night before the exam i was not able to sleep because of tension. After taking sleep of about 3 hours only, I started for the Exam center.

A lot of hard-working people are very much accustomed to "functioning" on little sleep, but I can 100% promise that your cognition will be BADLY impaired if you're not consistently well-rested leading up to your exam. There's a mountain of academic research to support the idea that 1) to reach peak cognitive and physical performance, most people need to consistently get around 8 hours of sleep per night; 2) very, very few people are exceptions to this, though plenty of people swear that they are.

Second, if you were too anxious to sleep well, I suspect strongly that the anxiety hurt your performance on the exam as well. It's not sexy, but I can promise that it played a role -- even if you didn't feel consciously nervous or jittery.

You might want to take a look at this article, in case you recognize some of the other factors: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 46658.html.

Good luck with the retake! Obviously, you have some pretty good skills, so hopefully you'll feel much more comfortable next time you're in the testing room. :)

Hi GMATNinja,

thanks for the reply. I am writing GMAT again on coming 2nd (Feb 2018) but i see my verbal marks are not constant. Sometimes i will get around 35-37 but sometimes i get only 30-31. My aim is 41+ in verbal.
Currently i am preparing with the Comprehensive SC, CR and RC prepared by souvik and my accuracy there for CR and SC is around 90% and 80% respectively. But under exam pressure it decreases:(. Also i am facing a lot of problem in RC. My accuracy in RC is merely 50%.
Any advice or plan for this one month about how i should prepare and how i shall work forward so as to achieve my aim will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 09:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Earlier i had no fixed and defined steps to approch, and thus my verbal score continued to swing from v29 to v36, finally ending up with v19 in the exam. For quant i had some defined steps, for this reason i scored a little more in the exam with q49.. To develop a strategy, rons videos are best for this.

I rescheduled my exam to 30th march..this time i am following Ron's videos.. He gives a new insight into SC and CR, limiting the number of rules.
Say in Cr he says... You play the role of the major character and then think with your emotions solve it..
May be you should give a try to these videos..

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern
B

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 09:55
ARS1988 wrote:
Earlier i had no fixed and defined steps to approch, and thus my verbal score continued to swing from v29 to v36, finally ending up with v19 in the exam. For quant i had some defined steps, for this reason i scored a little more in the exam with q49.. To develop a strategy, rons videos are best for this.

I rescheduled my exam to 30th march..this time i am following Ron's videos.. He gives a new insight into SC and CR, limiting the number of rules.
Say in Cr he says... You play the role of the major character and then think with your emotions solve it..
May be you should give a try to these videos..

Posted from my mobile device

Hi ARS,

Thanks for the advise. I actually went through all of the Thursdays With Ron videos(SC only) and they are really really helpful. This is did in my first attempt. I have noticed at times when i get around v38-v39 all 3, namely SC, CR and RC, will be good. But when my score will be going down, mostly my RC will be screwed. Reason might be that in RC if you do not understand, all 3/4 question will be wrong and in case if it happens in the first passage then forget about crossing 30. So i am focusing on RC nowadays.
I saw Ron's RC videos as well but being a non native speaker, i did not find skimming very helpful. At times my accuracy went down to 20-30%. :(

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 10:49
I too did not liked the idea of skimming the passage. In his three Rc passages videos one concept i found helpful.. "why is this information here...what exactly it wants me to say..and based on this information what next may come"

You read the first line of passage...and before you read any further.. you keep asking above three questions..till you have not received a satisfactory response from within.

I am fallowing the above method after i failed in all other methods like mapping, summarizing etc.. this method takes me around 30minutes to solve a 700level long passage ( 7 to 8 questions) with near to 100 percent accuracy... But the drawback is that...3passages and gmat verbal exam is over ...but i am sure that with practice i will be able to reduce that time.

And thanks for awareness in your above post.. I actually neglect rc..as i dont like reading such long boring dry gmat rc passages...
and thought that if i increase my level in cr and sc to 100 percent...then rc wont be required. But your above post will now change my preparation method. ☺

Can you please share your verbal score of your 1st and 2nd attempt .. just wanted to get a feel how much Ron's videos were effective... Actually i am a bit worried that I don't prepare in any wrong method.

My journey; still a long way to go.....   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2018, 10:49

My journey; still a long way to go.....

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR JANUARY
Math Revolution - Free Free Diagnostic Quant Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
examPAL - Free Video Course A complete on-demand GMAT course
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap