It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 12:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My MBA Story (730 GMAT, Asian-american Male)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 22 [1], given: 5

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '17 (M)
My MBA Story (730 GMAT, Asian-american Male) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2014, 06:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I decided to start a blog since I am done interviewing and have nothing better to do. I will post alot of information on my blog about each school I applied to and more details about my application experience. I believe that it's important to share all information possible in this "opaque" process.
http://johnthundermba.wordpress.com

My story and why MBA?

It’s November 24, 2014, and I decided to take up blogging to describe my MBA application experience. The primary driver of starting this blog is to help other members of gmatclub.com, since I have used gmatclub pretty religiously during application season and preparing for the GMAT. You can find my name on gmatclub as JohnThunder.

Personal Background

I am an Asian-american male and part of the “over-represented minority.” I attended an ivy league for undergrad with an average GPA and worked in investment banking for a few years and currently at an investment management firm. I play basketball in my free-time and am involved with Chinatown community service. I also create stock pitches in my free time (yes this is nerdy) and analyze NBA game film (again pretty nerdy).

Why Business School?

Everyone wants to be their own boss and not want to work for the MAN. At my current firm, its structure is less of a meritocracy and more of an experience-based promotion model. When I was in investment banking, I was a maniac and got rewarded for it. At my current firm, it seems like it’s less about your work but more about how you look, what time you show up, how you present yourself with senior management, and etc. These “soft skills” I am really not the best at, and I barely have time to get through all my work and do not want to waste time schmoozing. Anyways, first goal of mine is to learn more about myself and receive real feedback to improve my leadership and management skills. Second, I want to do a startup. Third, I want to find a professor to be my mentor in the long-term.

So I knew about these goals a year before I applied to bschool. I think its important to start way ahead of time. I took Manhattan GMAT course, which costs ~$1,200, and thought it was a waste of money. Their offices suck, and the computer lab is from the 1990s. I did not see much score improvement from Manhattan, but when I started to do old GMAT problems from gmatclub.com, I saw an incredible increase in mainly verbal. I was specifically targeting 700+ questions which I would get wrong today. I probably could have scored higher the second time but in my first try I got a 730 in the winter 2013. Feel free to contact me for tips. I was a quant major so I didn’t work on the math section much and just focused on verbal.

Business Schools:

I applied to Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT, Booth, and Kellogg. Yes, it’s pretty much all the top schools.

I was rejected at Harvard, and I have not heard back from Stanford. I assume Stanford is a DING!!!!! even though I spent the most amount of time on that application.

I interviewed at Wharton, Sloan, Booth, and Kellogg. I will describe the interview and how I applied in further detail in follow-up posts.

Please feel free to ask me any questions, and I will answer them all.

Personal Blog: I will answer every single question on my blog.
http://johnthundermba.wordpress.com

Kudos [?]: 22 [1], given: 5

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.45
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: My MBA Story (730 GMAT, Asian-american Male) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2014, 07:08
Hi JohnThunder

Congrats on the new blog (I liked the thunderstorm symbol next to your name lol). I always loved the idea of starting a personal blog though I am not sure if it's still a good forum thesedays now with twitter eating up the whole social media thing. Congrats also on the interview invitations; I am sure you would make it a fine school at the end. I am impressed that you haven't stretched at all with the school selections (Go hard or go home here I guess lol). All the best receiving the happy call soon!

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: Michigan Ross - Class of 2008
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 04:43
Like your blog and your reasons for MBA, quiet frank. I had pretty similar reasons too. Thumbs up !

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2015, 15:49
JohnThunder, enjoyed reading your blog. Good stuff and congrats!

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 9

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

GPA: 2.99
WE: Research (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2015, 20:17
If you applied to those 6 schools you should put them all on your profile! There's only 3 on there right now.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2015, 15:34
Read your blog. Really liked it. Good job on getting into Sloan! Congratulations!

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: My MBA Story (730 GMAT, Asian-american Male)   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2015, 15:34

My MBA Story (730 GMAT, Asian-american Male)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap