GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 17:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My profile - good background but low GMAT - Target French schools

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
My profile - good background but low GMAT - Target French schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 20:20
Hey,

Here is my profile:

-Bachelor's degree in a TOP 10 European business school with a decent GPA (top 20%)
-Studied in the US and France for high school - also MUN
-Part of a very big finance association - organized case competitions in the US
-Two Investment banking internships in Shanghai
-Decent amount of recommendation letters (2 academics and 2 pro) - but I guess this doesn't matter much
-Speak fluent English and French, decent in Spanish and Chinese (I'm French citizen btw) - My plan is also to take a one year intensive Chinese class in China after my Master's degree. I don't know if I should mention this as it's just a plan..

HOWEVER
-GMAT score: 580...

So, I'm planning to go back to France for my Master's and I would like to know if I have my chances for ESSEC or ESCP MiM... I definitely don't have my chances for HEC with this GMAT score, and I'm not even sure I do for ESSEC...
A friend of mine, with a similar international background, got accepted to ESCP (through Joint a school in France) with the same GMAT score so maybe I have my chances...
Honestly, I think my background is ok because I'm French and have a very international background, which is what French business schools are looking for. BUT my GMAT score is just too bad... I think i can ace the interview because I am good at job interviews/public speaking, however will I even get to the interview round?

Just what are your thoughts?

PS: My plan B is Rotterdam School of Management Master's in Finance and Investment - I'm already accepted. That's a solid back up plan, but as I maybe want to start my career in France, I think I should go for a French school.

Thanks
MiM-Essay Representative
G
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: My profile - good background but low GMAT - Target French schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 23:03
Hey laoban, you are on the right track. For a career in France, it is ideal to go for a top French School. Yes, the GMAT is on the lower end for the top 5 French schools, however the rest of your profile is strong (International experience, work ex, languages). Now, as far as compensating for the GMAT is concerned it is possible but subjective. We have had clients who got into top schools with a sub-par GMAT/GRE (308 GRE into ESSEC, 640 GMAT into LBS,etc) - But again it heavily depends upon the strategy you are using to compensate for your GMAT.
I will share some strategies that we used to help clients with profile weaknesses get into top schools, this may give you a direction on how to work on your own strategy.
Here's the link : https://www.mim-essay.com/client-stories-3/?gfc

P.S. Of course if you need any help, we are just a ping away. You can reach out to us on the page or reply here as well :)

MSc. in Management(MiM) Admission Consultants

92% Success Rate| 1200+ Admits in Top Schools| 1.8 Million Euros in Scholarships

Want to 2X your chances of selection? Book a consulting call here:Book an Appointment
Intern
Intern
Re: My profile - good background but low GMAT - Target French schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 23:23
Thanks for the reply.
I was thinking maybe I can take the in-house test that is made by ESCP for students that did not take the GMAT or GRE. From what I saw, it looks pretty easy (i mean easier than GMAT).
Also, for ESCP, the test score only accounts for 10% of your total applicant score... so I guess it isn't too much
Director
Director
V
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2019, 10:43
At lease you should have 600 gmat score. i thin you can try 20 marks extra. when i tried to apply few schools in france, they requested min 600 gmat score
MiM-Essay Representative
G
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2019, 23:04
laoban wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
I was thinking maybe I can take the in-house test that is made by ESCP for students that did not take the GMAT or GRE. From what I saw, it looks pretty easy (i mean easier than GMAT).
Also, for ESCP, the test score only accounts for 10% of your total applicant score... so I guess it isn't too much

Yes, that is an option as well. If you don't want to go for GMAT/GRE, you can take up the Internal ESCP test which is conducted on their campus. They accept CAT Scores as well - For ESCP a 98%tile plus score is considered to be competitive.
Nonetheless, I would suggest not to downplay the GMAT/Internal test weight-age. Being round 2, about 25% of spots will already be filled in, however and so it is ideal to try for a high score (660+ if you are aiming for GMAT)

MSc. in Management(MiM) Admission Consultants

92% Success Rate| 1200+ Admits in Top Schools| 1.8 Million Euros in Scholarships

Want to 2X your chances of selection? Book a consulting call here:Book an Appointment
GMAT Club Bot
Re: My profile - good background but low GMAT - Target French schools   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2019, 23:04

My profile - good background but low GMAT - Target French schools

new topic post reply Update application status