It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 16:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My Tepper experience thus far

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 306 [4], given: 145

Schools: Tepper '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Premium Member
My Tepper experience thus far [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2014, 21:11
This post received
KUDOS
I've been meaning to do a writeup on "share your application experience" but it wasn't a happy one. Instead, I want to share what my Tepper experience has been like thus far (orientation + 3.5 weeks of school).

Basecamp, Tepper's month long orientation program, started August 1. A question you might ask is, "What in the world do you do in a month long orientation?" Obviously, there's meeting your classmates. It's also just nice to get in the groove of being in school for 8+ hours a day again. There were industry overviews that I found extremely helpful with alumni panels. Lots of leadership stuff. Learning what a case is - we had a very short mock case that we had to analyze in a team and create a deck and do a short presentation. Using Amazon as an example of everything... from the way they run meetings to an integrated view of business. We even had the chance to meet Marc Onetto who was the COO off Amazon (Amazon recruits heavily at Tepper). There were also optional workshops for math and excel review.

Most of it though, was focused on recruiting - how to interview, reviewing your resume, writing a cover letter, how to network, how to navigate circle of deaths at career fairs, etc. The perception I get is that because we are a weaker school, there's a very strong focus on job search all the time - which leads to Tepper being ranked pretty well when it comes to employment statistics. As soon as school officially started, we've had company presentations daily.

I am currently exactly half way through the first mini. Tepper uses a mini system, which is about a half of a semester in length. I have already competed in two case competitions. There's an Amazon case competition that starts tomorrow and an AT Kearney case competition next week. Needless to say, with case competitions alone, it's been quite busy! Adding to the case competitions, NBMBAA is this weekend, NSHMBA is next weekend, clubs and five classes with midterms this week...

That reminds me, maybe I should get back to studying :(

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Kudos [?]: 306 [4], given: 145

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Re: My Tepper experience thus far [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2014, 17:54
I have two friends at Tepper right now and they describe it as the "engineering" business school. Do you agree with that?

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 306 [0], given: 145

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2014, 19:14
What does "engineering" business school mean exactly? I don't disagree with the assessment - I think more than a third of the students having an engineering background, which is higher than other business schools. We also tend to be considered more analytical with a large focus on analytics, but I consider this to be just more "quant" than "engineering."

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

GPA: 3.7
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 14:01
I love in AZ and I don't know if I can make a class visit to Tepper. How important is it to do a school visit for Tepper?

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 14:09
Any school visit is more for you than admissions. It's a great opportunity to see the school culture, experience classes and teaching style, student body, etc. and get a feel for whether or not you want to be there.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 54

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 23:30
farful wrote:
I've been meaning to do a writeup on "share your application experience" but it wasn't a happy one. Instead, I want to share what my Tepper experience has been like thus far (orientation + 3.5 weeks of school).

Basecamp, Tepper's month long orientation program, started August 1. A question you might ask is, "What in the world do you do in a month long orientation?" Obviously, there's meeting your classmates. It's also just nice to get in the groove of being in school for 8+ hours a day again. There were industry overviews that I found extremely helpful with alumni panels. Lots of leadership stuff. Learning what a case is - we had a very short mock case that we had to analyze in a team and create a deck and do a short presentation. Using Amazon as an example of everything... from the way they run meetings to an integrated view of business. We even had the chance to meet Marc Onetto who was the COO off Amazon (Amazon recruits heavily at Tepper). There were also optional workshops for math and excel review.

Most of it though, was focused on recruiting - how to interview, reviewing your resume, writing a cover letter, how to network, how to navigate circle of deaths at career fairs, etc. The perception I get is that because we are a weaker school, there's a very strong focus on job search all the time - which leads to Tepper being ranked pretty well when it comes to employment statistics. As soon as school officially started, we've had company presentations daily.

I am currently exactly half way through the first mini. Tepper uses a mini system, which is about a half of a semester in length. I have already competed in two case competitions. There's an Amazon case competition that starts tomorrow and an AT Kearney case competition next week. Needless to say, with case competitions alone, it's been quite busy! Adding to the case competitions, NBMBAA is this weekend, NSHMBA is next weekend, clubs and five classes with midterms this week...

That reminds me, maybe I should get back to studying :(

How'd your AT Kearney go? We finished ours 3 minutes before mid-night, was a lot of fun but glad we finally finished it - deadline interacted with mid-terms, start of recruiting, and like 5 group projects. I've forgotten what sleep and eating healthy is like.

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 54

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2014, 09:50
mgg234 wrote:
How'd your AT Kearney go? We finished ours 3 minutes before mid-night, was a lot of fun but glad we finally finished it - deadline interacted with mid-terms, start of recruiting, and like 5 group projects. I've forgotten what sleep and eating healthy is like.

Didn't win, but it was a great experience :) McKinsey and Deloitte case competitions next up...

Re: My Tepper experience thus far   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2014, 09:50

My Tepper experience thus far

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap