It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 03:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My very first attempt

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

My very first attempt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 03:46
Hi there!
Following the suggestions mentioned here, I took a GMATprep test today and scored 490 (Q41, V17), IR 4. Since I'm very new to GMAT, I have learned only test structure for a week. Before starting preparation I should know where I am, which you adviced. Honestly, I'm unfamiliar with most of the words in Verbal questions, which demotivates me to study. I made many wild guesses in verbal questions but 490 is still above my expectation.
What do you advice me? Is it possible to get 650 after preparing 3 hours a day for 5 months?

Ps. My vocabulary is not strong so I can't write AWA now.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 806 [1], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
My very first attempt [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 05:55
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Suhrobbek ,

Considering your base score, your goal score and the time you are devoting on a daily basis, I believe you can achieve your goal score in 2-3 months time frame, provided you follow right material, right strategies and work on all your weak areas religiously.

Don't worry about vocabulary. Unlike GRE, GMAT is not a test of difficult vocabulary. You just need to know the basic English words, which you can learn very easily during your preparation. So, consider this point a good motivation for you to prepare for verbal.

Try to push Quant as hard as possible. Quant can help you compensate the early 30s score of verbal to reach your goal score.

Good Luck for your preparation. :)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 806 [1], given: 64

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 245

GPA: 3.64
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: My very first attempt [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 06:51
Getting a 490 on first attempt in GMAT Prep is not bad. Now you need to learn the concepts of Verbal and Quantitative and practice as many questions as possible. Given u have a time frame of 5 months u can achieve a score of 650 or even more than that.
You can follow Bunuel for Quantitative in GMAT club and his questions and solutions.
For self study u can enrol in the newly launched self study plan of GMAT club which will give u good balance of theory and practice:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/study-plan-383/
Also, for the ultimate GMAT quantitative theory refer this:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-gma ... 44512.html
It covers all GMAT topics of quantitative and is very exhaustive.

Hope this helps!

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 245

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3421 [1], given: 172

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 14:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Suhrobbek,

To start, a 490 is a decent initial CAT Score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). With 5 months of consistent study, you could certainly improve a great deal. The amount of that improvement will be based heavily on the practice materials that you use and your ability to learn/practice the proper Tactics. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3421 [1], given: 172

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 19:47
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Suhrobbek,

To start, a 490 is a decent initial CAT Score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). With 5 months of consistent study, you could certainly improve a great deal. The amount of that improvement will be based heavily on the practice materials that you use and your ability to learn/practice the proper Tactics. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

I'm a 4th year student of bachelor degree. I will finish my studies in June 2018. So I don't have work experience. That's why I'm not sure which university and what kind of program to apply. Since I'm from Uzbekistan, tuition fees of most programs are very very high for me to afford. So I'm looking forward to a scholarship, which is critical criteria for me to pick university & program. For further information, my GPA is 80-85%.
Thanks for any suggestions.?

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3421 [0], given: 172

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 16:54
Hi Suhrobbek,

Many Business School Programs expect Applicants to have at least a few years of quality Work Experience when they apply. While there are certainly Programs that will accept applicants who don't have any Work Experience, you should do some research to make sure that you meet the necessary requirements for the Programs that interest you. That having been said, your Official GMAT Score is valid for 5 years, so even if you end up choosing to apply later on (so that you can gain the necessary WE), you can focus on the GMAT now.

Raising a 490 to a 650+ will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Considering your specific issues with the Verbal section, you would likely benefit a great deal from investing in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led). Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then just let me know.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3421 [0], given: 172

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
V

Kudos [?]: 1053 [1], given: 539

GPA: 3.4
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2017, 10:44
This post received
KUDOS
Suhrobbek wrote:
Hi there!
Following the suggestions mentioned here, I took a GMATprep test today and scored 490 (Q41, V17), IR 4. Since I'm very new to GMAT, I have learned only test structure for a week. Before starting preparation I should know where I am, which you adviced. Honestly, I'm unfamiliar with most of the words in Verbal questions, which demotivates me to study. I made many wild guesses in verbal questions but 490 is still above my expectation.
What do you advice me? Is it possible to get 650 after preparing 3 hours a day for 5 months?

Hello

Yes it is possible with strong and effective strategies, here are some links which may help you in your prep.

Best GMAT Courses

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-co ... ml?fl=menu

GMAT Study Plan

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-p ... ml?fl=menu

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-self-pr ... tml?f=menu

Best Books

Quant

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ma ... ml?fl=menu

Verbal

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... ml?fl=menu

All GMAT CATs

https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-gmat-pra ... ml?fl=menu

GMAT Timing Strategies

https://gmatclub.com/forum/timing-strat ... ml?fl=menu

Good Luck

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1053 [1], given: 539

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D

Kudos [?]: 310 [0], given: 18

WE: General Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 07:43
Suhrobbek wrote:
Hi there!

Hi Suhrobbek,

Do not be disheartened. It’s a good thing you have taken your GMATPREP. You now know your weakness is the verbal section and can now work to improve your accuracy in verbal. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for 5 months, you are sure to achieve your goal.

For critical reasoning section, I would highly encourage you to consider Powerscore critical reasoning bible. It is a great GMAT prep book and will clear your concepts really well. Powerscore CR bible with OG will surely improve your accuracy on the GMAT.

For additional practice you can use e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in your courses and is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas.

You can also try out the MGMAT guides for SC and RC as they are phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus really well.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase the latest version of OG and the verbal review for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... 68383.html

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 310 [0], given: 18

Intern
Intern
B

Re: My very first attempt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 10:50
Thanks all of you for your valuable advice! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 13:26
i started off badly as well. keep at it

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: My very first attempt   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2017, 13:26

My very first attempt

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap