Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1988 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: My very first attempt [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Suhrobbek,

To start, a 490 is a decent initial CAT Score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). With 5 months of consistent study, you could certainly improve a great deal. The amount of that improvement will be based heavily on the practice materials that you use and your ability to learn/practice the proper Tactics. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Suhrobbek,

To start, a 490 is a decent initial CAT Score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). With 5 months of consistent study, you could certainly improve a great deal. The amount of that improvement will be based heavily on the practice materials that you use and your ability to learn/practice the proper Tactics. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

I'm a 4th year student of bachelor degree. I will finish my studies in June 2018. So I don't have work experience. That's why I'm not sure which university and what kind of program to apply. Since I'm from Uzbekistan, tuition fees of most programs are very very high for me to afford. So I'm looking forward to a scholarship, which is critical criteria for me to pick university & program. For further information, my GPA is 80-85%.
Thanks for any suggestions.?

Sent from my Redmi 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Suhrobbek,

Many Business School Programs expect Applicants to have at least a few years of quality Work Experience when they apply. While there are certainly Programs that will accept applicants who don't have any Work Experience, you should do some research to make sure that you meet the necessary requirements for the Programs that interest you. That having been said, your Official GMAT Score is valid for 5 years, so even if you end up choosing to apply later on (so that you can gain the necessary WE), you can focus on the GMAT now.

Raising a 490 to a 650+ will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Considering your specific issues with the Verbal section, you would likely benefit a great deal from investing in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led). Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then just let me know.

Rich
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32838 [1]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Suhrobbek wrote:
Hi there!
Following the suggestions mentioned here, I took a GMATprep test today and scored 490 (Q41, V17), IR 4. Since I'm very new to GMAT, I have learned only test structure for a week. Before starting preparation I should know where I am, which you adviced. Honestly, I'm unfamiliar with most of the words in Verbal questions, which demotivates me to study. I made many wild guesses in verbal questions but 490 is still above my expectation.
What do you advice me? Is it possible to get 650 after preparing 3 hours a day for 5 months?

Ps. My vocabulary is not strong so I can't write AWA now.

Hello

Yes it is possible with strong and effective strategies, here are some links which may help you in your prep.

Best GMAT Courses

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-co ... ml?fl=menu

GMAT Study Plan

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-p ... ml?fl=menu

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-self-pr ... tml?f=menu

Best Books

Quant

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ma ... ml?fl=menu

Verbal

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... ml?fl=menu

All GMAT CATs

https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-gmat-pra ... ml?fl=menu

GMAT Timing Strategies

https://gmatclub.com/forum/timing-strat ... ml?fl=menu

Good Luck
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2852 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Suhrobbek wrote:
Hi there!
Following the suggestions mentioned here, I took a GMATprep test today and scored 490 (Q41, V17), IR 4. Since I'm very new to GMAT, I have learned only test structure for a week. Before starting preparation I should know where I am, which you adviced. Honestly, I'm unfamiliar with most of the words in Verbal questions, which demotivates me to study. I made many wild guesses in verbal questions but 490 is still above my expectation.
What do you advice me? Is it possible to get 650 after preparing 3 hours a day for 5 months?

Ps. My vocabulary is not strong so I can't write AWA now.

Hi Suhrobbek,

Do not be disheartened. It’s a good thing you have taken your GMATPREP. You now know your weakness is the verbal section and can now work to improve your accuracy in verbal. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for 5 months, you are sure to achieve your goal.

For critical reasoning section, I would highly encourage you to consider Powerscore critical reasoning bible. It is a great GMAT prep book and will clear your concepts really well. Powerscore CR bible with OG will surely improve your accuracy on the GMAT.

For additional practice you can use e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in your courses and is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas.

You can also try out the MGMAT guides for SC and RC as they are phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus really well.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase the latest version of OG and the verbal review for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... 68383.html

Hope this helps. All the best.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks all of you for your valuable advice! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Intern
Intern