GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2019, 14:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Native to south america, when peanuts were introduced to Africa by

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Rotman '20
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Native to south america, when peanuts were introduced to Africa by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2019, 08:01
Native to south america, when peanuts were introduced to Africa by Portuguese explorers early in the sixteenth century they were quickly adopted into Africa's agriculture, probably because of being so similar to the Bambarra groundnut, a popular indigenous plant.

(A) when peanuts were introduced to Africa by Portuguese explorers early in sixteenth century they were quickly adopted into Africa's agriculture, probably because of being

(B) peanuts having been introduced to Africa by Portuguese explorers early in the sixteenth century and quickly adopted into Africa's agriculture, probably because of being

(C) peanuts were introduced to Africa by Portuguese explorers early in the sixteenth century and were quickly adopted into Africa's agriculture, probably because they were

(D) peanuts,introduced to Africa by Portuguese explorers early in the sixteenth century and quickly adopted into Africa's agriculture, probably because they were

(E) peanuts,introduced to Africa by Portuguese explorers early in the sixteenth century and having been quickly adopted into Africa's agriculture, probably because they were

probably because of being so similar to the Bambarra groundnut, a popular indigenous plant.the entire sentence talks about peanuts,so A out due to presence of WHEN.
IN OPTION B "having been introduced " AND "being".nonsencical and wrong almost all time both from meaning and constuction point of view.
in E AND D VERB IS MISSING FOR PEANUTS,IF YOU REMOVE THE STATEMENT IN BETWEEN COMMAS.

C IS OA
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Native to south america, when peanuts were introduced to Africa by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 21:18
How can 'they were' be correct? Wouldn't it be those were?
Coz it they stand for people/persons.

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 22:20
Pilan619 wrote:
How can 'they were' be correct? Wouldn't it be those were?
Coz it they stand for people/persons.
They is not restricted to people.

I bought the chairs because they were comfortable.
G
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2019, 09:25
Hi Experts although the C is the correct answer ,however in C They can refer to Explorers also right ? I am getting confused when to apply pronoun ambiguity rule?
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2019, 20:25
LoneSurvivor wrote:
Hi Experts although the C is the correct answer ,however in C They can refer to Explorers also right ? I am getting confused when to apply pronoun ambiguity rule?
Pronoun ambiguity is something that we should apply after we've looked at other (more reliable) ways to eliminate options.
Re: Native to south america, when peanuts were introduced to Africa by   [#permalink] 28 May 2019, 20:25

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Native to south america, when peanuts were introduced to Africa by

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics