GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jan 2019, 02:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

January 26, 2019

January 26, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.
  • Free GMAT Number Properties Webinar

January 27, 2019

January 27, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn a structured approach to solve 700+ Number Properties question in less than 2 minutes.

Nearly one in three subscribers to Financial Forecaster is a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Nearly one in three subscribers to Financial Forecaster is a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2013, 01:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:15) correct 21% (01:41) wrong based on 779 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project CR Butler: Day 1:Critical Reasoning (CR1)

For all CR butler Questions Click Here

Nearly one in three subscribers to Financial Forecaster is a millionaire, and over half are in top management. Shouldn’t you subscribe to Financial Forecaster now?

A reader who is neither a millionaire nor in top management would be most likely to act in accordance with the advertisement’s suggestion if he or she drew which of the following questionable conclusions invited by the advertisement?

A. Among finance-related periodicals. Financial Forecaster provides the most detailed financial information.
B. Top managers cannot do their jobs properly without reading Financial Forecaster.
C. The advertisement is placed where those who will be likely to read it are millionaires.
D. The subscribers mentioned were helped to become millionaires or join top management by reading Financial Forecaster.
E. Only those who will in fact become millionaires, or at least top managers, will read the advertisement.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D
Re: Nearly one in three subscribers to Financial Forecaster is a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 06:04
soniedarshan wrote:
Nearly one in three subscribers to Financial Forecaster is a millionaire, and over half are in top management. Shouldn’t you subscribe to Financial Forecaster now?

A reader who is neither a millionaire nor in top management would be most likely to act in accordance with the advertisement’s suggestion if he or she drew which of the following questionable conclusions invited by the advertisement?

A. Among finance-related periodicals. Financial Forecaster provides the most detailed financial information.
B. Top managers cannot do their jobs properly without reading Financial Forecaster.
C. The advertisement is placed where those who will be likely to read it are millionaires.
D. The subscribers mentioned were helped to become millionaires or join top management by reading Financial Forecaster.
E. Only those who will in fact become millionaires, or at least top managers, will read the advertisement.

In critical reasoning, our job is to read critically.

(1/3) of subscribers to Financial Forecaster are millionaires, and over 1/2 are in top management.
Shouldn’t you subscribe to Financial Forecaster now?

So the first thing that comes to my mind is that they are trying to sell FF to me by giving these stats. They are implying that people who subscribe to FF become millionaires and top managers. If I were gullible, I would perhaps deduce this and subscribe to FF.
But what if people who become millionaires and top managers subscribe to FF afterwards because it gives them some info they need in their roles? Then my subscribing to FF is unlikely to make me a millionaire/top manager.
Now I am happy with my analysis and move on to the question stem.

So I think about it like this - I will act as per the ad's suggestion (subscribe to the FF) if I conclude what from the ad?

This is simple! I know they are implying that people who subscribe to FF become millionaires and top managers. If I believe in this, I will subscribe to FF. This is mentioned in (D)

Answer (D)

This is not a conclusion that one can draw from the ad. Hence not correct.

This is the smart me thinking. That top managers subscribe to FF because they need to. They don't become top managers by subscribing to it. But what they are looking for is the conclusion of a gullible person. So not correct.

Another possibility of smart deduction. Perhaps the FF targets millionaires only and hence has millionaires as subscribers. But again, what they are looking for is the conclusion of a gullible person. So not correct.

Again, this says that it caters to the cream of the society - people who are likely to become millionaires or top managers. Again, this is not what we need. We need the conclusion of a person who falls for the ad, not the smart person.

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

General Discussion
VP
VP
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2013, 04:09
soniedarshan wrote:
Nearly one in three subscribers to Financial Forecaster is a millionaire, and over half are in top management.
Shouldn’t you subscribe to Financial Forecaster now?A reader who is neither a millionaire nor in top management would be most likely to act in accordance with the advertisement’s suggestion if he or she drew which of the following questionable conclusions invited by the advertisement?

The reader who is neither a millionaire nor in top management would believe that the Financial forecaster has helped other people becoming millionaire and top management peoples, hence the option C

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2013, 12:25
For me It´s D.

People who are neither a millionaire nor a top manager, are likely to read the Financial Forecaster, if reading the journal, would help them become a millionaire or a top manager.

MV
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing.” ― George S. Patton Jr

Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2013, 00:19
soniedarshan wrote:
Nearly one in three subscribers to Financial Forecaster is a millionaire, and over half are in top management.
Shouldn’t you subscribe to Financial Forecaster now?A reader who is neither a millionaire nor in top management would be most likely to act in accordance with the advertisement’s suggestion if he or she drew which of the following questionable conclusions invited by the advertisement?

ANALYZE THE QUESTION STEM:

The most difficult part of this question is the "question stem". I would paraphrase it like:

A reader who is neither a millionaire nor in top management would be most likely to act in accordance with the advertisement’s suggestion if he or she believes that....?

But What is "act in accordance with the advertisement suggestion". It means "you should subscribe FF now"

==> The question stem will be: A reader who is neither a millionaire nor in top management would subscribe FF if he or she believes that....

ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

The advertisement' FACT: 1/3 subscribers to FF are millionaires, and over 1/2 are in top management.
The advertisement's CONCLUSION: You should subscribe to FF now

Because the advertisement used the word "subscribers" in order to make a new reader believes that "he/she will be a millionaire or top management IF he/she reads FF".

This is exactly what a new reader believes, ==> so he/she would subscribe FF.

Hence, D is correct.

Hope that helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 06:35
soniedarshan wrote:

The highlighted part of the question stem asks us to doubt the Argument presented in the stimulus...

The stimulus states -

1. 1/3 Subscribers to FF = Millionaire
2. > 50% are in top management.

And then appeals whether this is a sufficient reason to start subscribing to FF...

None but option (D) challenges the reasoning presented , it may be such that millionaires or top management personnel started reading FF after becoming millionaires or joining top Managerial positions.

Reading FF ≠ Becoming millionaires or join top management !!!, Hence Answer must be (D)

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 03:10
The wordin in answer E "Only those who will in fact become millionaires, or at least top managers, will read the advertisement" is too extreme correct or is there any other reason for which is considered and incorrect answer.

GMAT loosers are born not made !!!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Nearly one in three subscribers to Financial Forecaster is a &nbs [#permalink] 07 Nov 2018, 03:10

Nearly one in three subscribers to Financial Forecaster is a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap