GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 14:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need Advice of how to do well on GMAT in short amount of time!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Need Advice of how to do well on GMAT in short amount of time!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 17:54
Hello Everyone,

I'm pretty new to this whole GMAT test. My university never really talked about pursuing a Master's in Business since it wasn't offered there, therefore the GMAT wasn't mentioned either. I have found a wonderful program I would like to apply to, in another country. I recently found out that there is a minimum score of 550 on the GMAT needed in order to apply. Unfortunately I found this out rather recently and therefore only have a month to study and prepare to take the GMAT exam. My exam date will be towards the end of December. Application deadline for the program is beginning of January.

I would really appreciated any advice on how to study and best prepare. I don't have a lot of money available to me for signing up for courses and purchasing a bunch of added materials. Recently I've been using some free apps, such as: Magoosh, and Ready4GMAT. I've also been looking at youtube channels, such as: Dominate the GMAT and Veritas Prep. I have purchased the OG 2018 book and have been studying from that as well. I've also taken the first GMAT practice exam on the official MBA website (this was BEFORE I started studying) and sadly got a very low score of 370.

After my studying so far, I have discovered that I'm much stronger in the Verbal rather than the Quantitative section. Critical Reasoning and Sentence correction are easier for me than Reading Comprehension (mostly because it's slightly dull information, and too long to keep my focus...however I'm working on that). And my Quantitative questions are a bit of a mess, since I haven't taken any math in a long time and have forgotten a lot of basics, so I keep making simple mistakes. If anyone has some resources or advice of how I can efficiently use my month of time to effectively raise my score to where it needs to be, it would be much appreciated! Thanks for reading through all this!
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Need Advice of how to do well on GMAT in short amount of time!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 05:59
MariaMia wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I'm pretty new to this whole GMAT test. My university never really talked about pursuing a Master's in Business since it wasn't offered there, therefore the GMAT wasn't mentioned either. I have found a wonderful program I would like to apply to, in another country. I recently found out that there is a minimum score of 550 on the GMAT needed in order to apply. Unfortunately I found this out rather recently and therefore only have a month to study and prepare to take the GMAT exam. My exam date will be towards the end of December. Application deadline for the program is beginning of January.

I would really appreciated any advice on how to study and best prepare. I don't have a lot of money available to me for signing up for courses and purchasing a bunch of added materials. Recently I've been using some free apps, such as: Magoosh, and Ready4GMAT. I've also been looking at youtube channels, such as: Dominate the GMAT and Veritas Prep. I have purchased the OG 2018 book and have been studying from that as well. I've also taken the first GMAT practice exam on the official MBA website (this was BEFORE I started studying) and sadly got a very low score of 370.

After my studying so far, I have discovered that I'm much stronger in the Verbal rather than the Quantitative section. Critical Reasoning and Sentence correction are easier for me than Reading Comprehension (mostly because it's slightly dull information, and too long to keep my focus...however I'm working on that). And my Quantitative questions are a bit of a mess, since I haven't taken any math in a long time and have forgotten a lot of basics, so I keep making simple mistakes. If anyone has some resources or advice of how I can efficiently use my month of time to effectively raise my score to where it needs to be, it would be much appreciated! Thanks for reading through all this!

Hi MariaMia,

Welcome to GMATCLUB! If you feel you are weak in Quant, you should definitely try on improving your Quant score. For Quant, you can consider TTP. It is a very well designed course and covers the entire syllabus really well. It will certainly help you solidify your base as well. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practice tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase the GMATPREP QP 1 for some great additional practice.

You can also go through the below link to design a Quant specific study plan.

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... h-focused/

Hope this helps. All the best.
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Need Advice of how to do well on GMAT in short amount of time!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 06:15
Hi MariaMia,

Welcome to the club! I am attaching some of our finest resources (I highly recommend following them and the people who created them. You can see at the bottom of their profile's their most liked posts and their additional expertise!). We have thousands of free, official questions on here, so please use them to their fullest extent. Also, I recommend not burning through too many official questions until you have a strong grasp on solving concepts. A 550 is more than an achievable score, but it does take some time. Don't rush to apply this year! There is always next year. And who knows? Maybe you get a better score and you are admitted to a better school, or receive more scholarship money! As a side note, please do not hestitate to tag experts when you need help. If you place the @ symbol before a name in a post, it will tag/notify that person. Best of luck on your journey!

1. https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-p ... ml#p605856 (BB's study guide)
2. https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-bo ... l#p1073182 (GmatClub's quant book)
3. https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-you-need ... l#p1130136 (All encompassing quant strategy)
4. https://gmatclub.com/forum/math-number- ... ml#p666609 (Number theory specific, which is very important)
5. https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-sc- ... l#p1887645 (GMATNinja's SC guide)
6. https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 43170.html (Ninja's CR guide)
7. https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 41004.html (Ninja's RC guide)
8. https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-gmat-nin ... l#p2396353 (Ninja's videos)
9. https://gmatclub.com/forum/mod-nightbla ... l#p2272709 (My CR guide)
10. https://gmatclub.com/forum/mod-nightbla ... l#p2325769 (My RC guide)

My CR Guide: Here
My RC Guide: Here
Need an expert to grade your AWA? Go: Here
Want to know your Business School chances? Go: Here
Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: Need Advice of how to do well on GMAT in short amount of time!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 10:13
Hi MariaMia,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Although you may find that you need more than just one month to improve your quant skills, here is some advice you can follow in order to do so. First off, since you scored 370 on your GMAT (with a presumably low quant score), it’s clear that you need to follow a study plan that allows you to learn GMAT quant from the ground up. In other words, follow a study plan that allows you to learn each GMAT quant topic individually and the practice each topic until you’ve gained mastery. Let me expand on this idea further.

For example, if you are learning about Number Properties, you should develop as much conceptual knowledge about Number Properties as possible. In other words, your goal will be to completely understand properties of factorials, perfect squares, quadratic patterns, LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, and remainders, to name a few concepts. After carefully reviewing the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions, practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties. When you do dozens of questions of the same type one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to around at least 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

When you are working on learning to answer questions of a particular type, start off taking your time, and then seek to speed up as you get more comfortable answering questions of that type. As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

You also may find it helpful to read this article about How To Increase Your GMAT Quant Score.

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need Advice of how to do well on GMAT in short amount of time!   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2019, 10:13

Need Advice of how to do well on GMAT in short amount of time!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep