Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Need desperate improvement :( Urgently [#permalink]
Hi,

I already have a quiet a few test resources from an institute through whom, I learnt the basics.

I will try to work on that strategy as you said.

Thank you :)

AmrithS wrote:
Hi,
Plan:
1. Signup for a test series (I signed up for six Manhattan GMAT prep tests)
2. Write the first test. (match the test taking experience to the real thing to the highest degree possible)
3. Analyse your performance and look for which is/are your weakest area(s)
4. Spend four to five days working on only that/those area(s)
5. Take the second test
6. Repeat steps 3 and 4
7. Write the third test
8. Repeat steps 3 and 4
You get the idea right :)

Background: This tip comes from my personal experience.

Principle:
Law of Diminishing return - improvement made over a given period of time is significantly higher if you're working on a weakness than on a strength

Caution:
Paralysis by Analysis - When your time is short, grab a strategy that sounds workable and take action ASAP. Don't spend too much time hunting.

All the best.

Regards,
Entwistle
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Need desperate improvement :( Urgently [#permalink]
Hi,

Well my I think the main problem is that even though I understand the concepts, the cant seem to get the answers in the test right.

1. I started the journey about 5 months ago. I had no knowledge about grammar or remembered nothing for quant. I had a small break initially and had to restart every thing after the 3rd month and have been preparing properly since.
2. I have used OG, CR questions from GMATclub, resources from a coaching institute and Prep tests.
3. My goal is 650+
4. Practice scores have not been that great. RC sucks big time at the rate of 5/15 right. CR and SC is not that bad. Math is ridiculous, I got 17 out of 37 right in the latest prep test and percentile was only 7.
5. I have to take it soon because its dragged on for too long.
6. repeat if I have to.

I realised I know most of the basic concepts there is to know in quant except co-ordinate geometry and need to work on geometry. But I still make mistakes heavily when it comes to the final answer, even though the method is right.

Any suggestions please?

ZATSPEED

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi zatspeed,

You've described some significant problems that will probably take some time to 'fix.'

I'd like to know a bit more about your studies so far and your timeline/plans.

1) You say that you've studied for 5 months, but what does that mean exactly? What were you doing? How much time were you spending each week on your studies?
2) What resources have you used?
3) What is your score goal?
4) How have you been scoring on your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

5) Why do you have to take the GMAT in 1-2 weeks?
6) If you don't score at an acceptable level, what will you do next?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi zatspeed,

From what you have described, you're not close to your goal score yet, so taking the GMAT in 1-2 weeks is not likely to lead a score that will make you happy. If you are just going to end up retaking the Test anyway, then you should consider pushing your Test Date back (and saving the $250).

1) What were your scores on your last practice CAT (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
2) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?

Another thing to consider is that it's possible that the resources that you have been using are not enough to help you to succeed. Investing in some new resources and a different study structure might be what you need to hit your goal score.

Rich
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Expert Reply
zatspeed wrote:
Hey guys,

its been almost 5 months since I started preparing for GMAT. I had to start off with the basics of grammar and math because I didn't know/remember any to begin with. After all these months, I can proudly say I have learnt quiet a lot in both verbal and quant. Due to circumstances, I have to write it in a week or 2 weeks at most.

Quant: sucks big time, after completing some 400 questions and after completing OG 15. I get less than 15 out of 41 in practice tests, even though the I had better luck with the 400 and OG questions completed over time. Every time I think I know most there is to know and how to approach a question, I face super difficult questions ( its not adaptive tests), they make little sense to me. How can I improve?

Verbal: I get only about 1/3 in RC right and need a find a method to approach it. I tried different methods such as making short notes or creating a mental map and they didnt work. I find my self using more of an understanding approach and this does not let get all the answers right.

SC and CR is going alright, even though I only get 60% right in each. I have a major problem in CR with EXCEPT and example questions.

I know I am very math challenged, but I think my only opportunity is to get a very good score in Vebral and okayish score in quant.

Please help me :/. How can I improve in a short period of time?

Hi zatspeed,

Since you mentioned RC as a weakness, I thought I'd address it. For RC, remember to take notes as you read the passages. As you read each passage, be an active reader (as opposed to a passive reader - reading simply to absorb the information). While reading, try identifying the following items: 1. the main idea of the passage 2. the author's position and tone (is it neutral, critical, etc.) and 3. the structure of the argument (e.g. two opposing sides vs. one sided, informational vs. author's opinion)

You can practice reading actively by reading publications like The Economist or the New York Times Op-ed section.

On another note,you may need a shift in your general prep strategy to help improve your math and RC performance. If you end up needing extra support, feel free to sign up for a free trial of the Economist GMAT Tutor, our online adaptive course, and see if it works for you: https://econgm.at/freetrialoffer.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

Jessica
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi zatspeed,

From what you have described, you're not close to your goal score yet, so taking the GMAT in 1-2 weeks is not likely to lead a score that will make you happy. If you are just going to end up retaking the Test anyway, then you should consider pushing your Test Date back (and saving the $250).

1) What were your scores on your last practice CAT (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
2) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?

Another thing to consider is that it's possible that the resources that you have been using are not enough to help you to succeed. Investing in some new resources and a different study structure might be what you need to hit your goal score.

Rich

Sorry for the late reply.

Hi,

Well on my last practice test I got a scaled score of 21 and percentile of 24 in verbal (most of the RC were wrong) and in quant I got scaled score of 17 and percentile of 5.
Yes I took the entire test including the AWA.

I started using a new resource for Quant and they seem to be around 650-700 level and I don't seem to get any of them right.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JTuquero wrote:
zatspeed wrote:
Hey guys,

its been almost 5 months since I started preparing for GMAT. I had to start off with the basics of grammar and math because I didn't know/remember any to begin with. After all these months, I can proudly say I have learnt quiet a lot in both verbal and quant. Due to circumstances, I have to write it in a week or 2 weeks at most.

Quant: sucks big time, after completing some 400 questions and after completing OG 15. I get less than 15 out of 41 in practice tests, even though the I had better luck with the 400 and OG questions completed over time. Every time I think I know most there is to know and how to approach a question, I face super difficult questions ( its not adaptive tests), they make little sense to me. How can I improve?

Verbal: I get only about 1/3 in RC right and need a find a method to approach it. I tried different methods such as making short notes or creating a mental map and they didnt work. I find my self using more of an understanding approach and this does not let get all the answers right.

SC and CR is going alright, even though I only get 60% right in each. I have a major problem in CR with EXCEPT and example questions.

I know I am very math challenged, but I think my only opportunity is to get a very good score in Vebral and okayish score in quant.

Please help me :/. How can I improve in a short period of time?

Hi zatspeed,

Since you mentioned RC as a weakness, I thought I'd address it. For RC, remember to take notes as you read the passages. As you read each passage, be an active reader (as opposed to a passive reader - reading simply to absorb the information). While reading, try identifying the following items: 1. the main idea of the passage 2. the author's position and tone (is it neutral, critical, etc.) and 3. the structure of the argument (e.g. two opposing sides vs. one sided, informational vs. author's opinion)

You can practice reading actively by reading publications like The Economist or the New York Times Op-ed section.

On another note,you may need a shift in your general prep strategy to help improve your math and RC performance. If you end up needing extra support, feel free to sign up for a free trial of the Economist GMAT Tutor, our online adaptive course, and see if it works for you: https://econgm.at/freetrialoffer.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

Jessica

Sorry for the late reply,

Hi,
I guess your right, I am more of a passive reader and use the info I know to match. I will try to use the note taking method and see if it helps. I don't have a problem understanding most of the RC but I always get

1. Primary purpose wrong (even though I look for the information in the first sentence of the first paragraph and first and last sentence of the last paragraph.
2. Questions that require us to match example answers to the question.

But my main problem is with quant as that really affects my score.

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi zatspeed,

You will probably not 'like' what I'm going to tell you, but this is an academic situation and the information shows that you are NOT currently able to score at your desired level. A Q17/V21 is not close enough to a 650+ score to make that score a likely outcome on Test Day. Another week of studying is not going to change that, so you have to start thinking about a new plan.

You're likely going to need 3 months (or more) of consistent, guided study. The way that you've studied so far just has not been 'enough' to train you properly. I hope you understand that this assessment is not personal - it's based on your goals and the current practice results. Your story is not over, it just needs to be rescheduled.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot