Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 489
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Re: Need suggestions: Which RC Question bank should I use to practice? [#permalink]
Kudos
I am kind of on the same boat as you, I am planning to buy the OG Question bank. But there is another option which I have been using to practice RC - LSAT RC question dumps. You can search for that (under downloads) in Gmatclub and you can use it for practice. They are very good and difficult.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Need suggestions: Which RC Question bank should I use to practice? [#permalink]
OptimusPrepJanielle wrote:
Hi yt770,

If you are looking for Official questions, then you can opt for Question Pack1 from mba.com
Else you can get plenty of RC questions on enrolling for a course.

Most of the preparatory companies including ours offer a free trial of the course. You can use the trial period and see if the course suits your needs.

Thanks Janielle. I will probably buy Question Pack 1 or look for some free LSAT questions on the gmatclub. Appreciate your help! :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi YT770,

Based on the CAT scores you've listed in your other posts, there are likely a number of different Verbal question types that you can improve on, so your focus on RC Inference questions seems questionable.

On your last CAT....
1) How were you performing on SC and CR prompts?
2) Were there any OTHER types of RC questions that you were getting wrong?
3) How many questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your response. I never said that I am not focusing on other Verbal question types. :) I have a lot of practice material for SC and CR questions, but have finished all the RC material. There are a lot of free questions that are available on gmatclub, but I was just looking for questions sets that don't have questions from MGMAT mocks and gmat prep.

Regards,

YT770
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kingjamesrules wrote:
I am kind of on the same boat as you, I am planning to buy the OG Question bank. But there is another option which I have been using to practice RC - LSAT RC question dumps. You can search for that (under downloads) in Gmatclub and you can use it for practice. They are very good and difficult.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I've been advised to use the LSAT RC material. How was your performance on LSAT questions as compared to GMAT RC questions? I found that most of them are pretty long and have 6-7 questions per passage. Since GMAT will have only 3 questions (short) and 4 questions (long) passage types, I was thinking that it'd be better to find passages that are actual GMAT like. Practicing on difficult passages may be useful, but I'd rather spend more time on other weak areas. Please share your experience.

Thanks for your response!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Kudos
yt770 wrote:
kingjamesrules wrote:

Hope this helps.

Yes, I've been advised to use the LSAT RC material. How was your performance on LSAT questions as compared to GMAT RC questions? I found that most of them are pretty long and have 6-7 questions per passage. Since GMAT will have only 3 questions (short) and 4 questions (long) passage types, I was thinking that it'd be better to find passages that are actual GMAT like. Practicing on difficult passages may be useful, but I'd rather spend more time on other weak areas. Please share your experience.

My performance on the LSAT RC's has been very similar to the GMAT RC ones, but some LSAT passages are really difficult, similar to some of the OG passages and the quantity of practice options are huge (especially the ones available for free in gmatclub). Also the passages are long in LSAT which helps me because I dont do great when huge passages appear in GMATPrep. Its true that LSAT has lots of questions, but so does OG passages - most have 5+ questions. Best option for GMAT-like is GMATPrep question bank. Another option I can think of is veritas tests (They come for $20 for 7 tests) which can give you some practice materials, but in full test format. Sorry I cannot think of anything else.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kingjamesrules wrote:

My performance on the LSAT RC's has been very similar to the GMAT RC ones, but some LSAT passages are really difficult, similar to some of the OG passages and the quantity of practice options are huge (especially the ones available for free in gmatclub). Also the passages are long in LSAT which helps me because I dont do great when huge passages appear in GMATPrep. Its true that LSAT has lots of questions, but so does OG passages - most have 5+ questions. Best option for GMAT-like is GMATPrep question bank. Another option I can think of is veritas tests (They come for $20 for 7 tests) which can give you some practice materials, but in full test format. Sorry I cannot think of anything else.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I appreciate it. A friend of mine also suggested using RC 99 by Aristotle. It has 99 passages from low to high difficulty level. Though I have read mixed reviews about that book on different sites, I would still give it a shot. Thanks again for your help! Good luck.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
I read books, and I believe that, by doing this, I improved my RC accuracy.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
yt770 wrote:
kingjamesrules wrote:

Hope this helps.

I used LSAT RCs for practice for my 3rd GMAT attempt as I had exhausted all the available official resources and I wanted to stick to other "official sources". As LSAT is another well recognized standardized test, I went with LSAT RC sets. I agree that LSAT RCs are longer and with more questions but I used to push myself to complete the reading of the passage and answering all the questions in 6-8 minutes. This helped me immensely in not only understanding longer and denser passages but also made me realize the benefit of picking the battles in GMAT. You have to be smart about how you approach the questions in GMAT. I made sure that all LSAT practice was done under timed conditions. I maintained an accuracy of 70-80% under timed conditions and later when I redid the RC passages from question pack 1, I never felt rushed. You will not find many LSAT passages with less than 5-6 questions per passage though. So either you can time yourself for 4 questions per passage or adopt what I did. You must evaluate different methods and only use the one that suits your needs. At the end of the day you will only be able to get to the correct answers confidently and accurately if

1. You understand the passage
2. You can use POE to arrive to the correct answer.

I am not saying that V34 to V44 jump in my scores was entirely due to LSAT passages but I for sure was able to do better time management in the 3rd attempt.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Need suggestions: Which RC Question bank should I use to practice? [#permalink]
Engr2012 wrote:

I used LSAT RCs for practice for my 3rd GMAT attempt as I had exhausted all the available official resources and I wanted to stick to other "official sources". As LSAT is another well recognized standardized test, I went with LSAT RC sets. I agree that LSAT RCs are longer and with more questions but I used to push myself to complete the reading of the passage and answering all the questions in 6-8 minutes. This helped me immensely in not only understanding longer and denser passages but also made me realize the benefit of picking the battles in GMAT. You have to be smart about how you approach the questions in GMAT. I made sure that all LSAT practice was done under timed conditions. I maintained an accuracy of 70-80% under timed conditions and later when I redid the RC passages from question pack 1, I never felt rushed. You will not find many LSAT passages with less than 5-6 questions per passage though. So either you can time yourself for 4 questions per passage or adopt what I did. You must evaluate different methods and only use the one that suits your needs. At the end of the day you will only be able to get to the correct answers confidently and accurately if

1. You understand the passage
2. You can use POE to arrive to the correct answer.

I am not saying that V34 to V44 jump in my scores was entirely due to LSAT passages but I for sure was able to do better time management in the 3rd attempt.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for responding to my post and providing valuable advice. :) Currently I am spending about 13-15 minutes on a LSAT passage with 6-8 questions. I am spending about 4 mins (sometimes even more) to read a 55-65 lines passage and then about 1 -1:15 min per question. My accuracy for these passages fluctuates (sometimes I get all right) and I've noticed that when I don't understand the passage well enough, I tend to get a lot of questions wrong. But usually I get about 5 -6 out of 8 right. The problem comes when I solve the harder LSAT passages (see attached file for example). I couldn't understand the passage fully even after reading it twice. I don't know if it's just me or this is actually a hard LSAT passage. I totally understand that solving LSAT passages are really helpful in long term and helps with overall time management. I just don't know how to improve or what exactly is am I doing wrong. Here is my approach:

1) Paraphrase after reading every paragraph.
2) Map the entire passage
3) Check author's tone and opinion
4) Check contrast words
5) For specific details or inference questions, go to the passage after before reading the answer choices.
6) Use POE and ignore answer choices with strong words (like most)

Any suggestions on the overall approach? Also, did you use to solve a 6-8 question LSAT passage in under 8 minutes? How much time did you spend just reading the passage?

Thanks again for your response. I appreciate your help.

YT770

PS - My target score is 750+
Attachments

File comment: Hard LSAT passage
lsat passage1.docx [15.56 KiB]
Downloaded 69 times

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
yt770 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks a lot for responding to my post and providing valuable advice. :) Currently I am spending about 13-15 minutes on a LSAT passage with 6-8 questions. I am spending about 4 mins (sometimes even more) to read a 55-65 lines passage and then about 1 -1:15 min per question. My accuracy for these passages fluctuates (sometimes I get all right) and I've noticed that when I don't understand the passage well enough, I tend to get a lot of questions wrong. But usually I get about 5 -6 out of 8 right. The problem comes when I solve the harder LSAT passages (see attached file for example). I couldn't understand the passage fully even after reading it twice. I don't know if it's just me or this is actually a hard LSAT passage. I totally understand that solving LSAT passages are really helpful in long term and helps with overall time management. I just don't know how to improve or what exactly is am I doing wrong. Here is my approach:

1) Paraphrase after reading every paragraph.
2) Map the entire passage
3) Check author's tone and opinion
4) Check contrast words
5) For specific details or inference questions, go to the passage after before reading the answer choices.
6) Use POE and ignore answer choices with strong words (like most)

Any suggestions on the overall approach? Also, did you use to solve a 6-8 question LSAT passage in under 8 minutes? How much time did you spend just reading the passage?

Thanks again for your response. I appreciate your help.

YT770

PS - My target score is 750+

Your approach is fine for tackling RCs. In order to achieve 750 or more, you need to be not only good but make sure to manage your time properly. Yes, I used to complete the entire passage with 7-8 questions in 8 minutes. I used to make a good mental map of the passage , leaving specific details out as you will have to come back to refer to those anyways. But for main point, tone, author's stance etc I would not go back to the passage. For longer passages with questions, I used to push myself to answer all questions in 8 minutes. In LSAT you only get (approx.)1 minute and 25 seconds (sometimes including the passage as well) to answer such questions. So, the questions would have been created in a manner so as to let most if not all to answer it within that time frame.

As for the RC you have posted, this is not the correct thread to discuss it. Post it in the RC forum (after searching whether this passage has already been discussed before) gmat-reading-comprehension-rc-137/

Generally speaking, passages such as this one, are difficult due to sheer amount of terminologies and jargon and things to remember. One way to handle such passages is to NOT remember any of the details. just make a mental note of how the connections are made between different entities while leaving the information needed to answer the detail questions to be found from the passage and not from memory.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:

Your approach is fine for tackling RCs. In order to achieve 750 or more, you need to be not only good but make sure to manage your time properly. Yes, I used to complete the entire passage with 7-8 questions in 8 minutes. I used to make a good mental map of the passage , leaving specific details out as you will have to come back to refer to those anyways. But for main point, tone, author's stance etc I would not go back to the passage. For longer passages with questions, I used to push myself to answer all questions in 8 minutes. In LSAT you only get (approx.)1 minute and 25 seconds (sometimes including the passage as well) to answer such questions. So, the questions would have been created in a manner so as to let most if not all to answer it within that time frame.

As for the RC you have posted, this is not the correct thread to discuss it. Post it in the RC forum (after searching whether this passage has already been discussed before) gmat-reading-comprehension-rc-137/

Generally speaking, passages such as this one, are difficult due to sheer amount of terminologies and jargon and things to remember. One way to handle such passages is to NOT remember any of the details. just make a mental note of how the connections are made between different entities while leaving the information needed to answer the detail questions to be found from the passage and not from memory.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your help! I will practice the LSAT passages by using the above strategy. Apologies for posting the RC in the wrong forum.

Thanks again and good luck with your applications!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
awesome expanation of tackling RC strategies!I will try to inculcate such practice with immediate effect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
its definitely worthsharing strategies ...thanks!
GMAT Club Bot