Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [1]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Need to score a 700 please help!! [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sohamv1 wrote:
I Have given the Gmat 5 times in the last one year. (Used Manhattan and
OG)Got 640 Q45/V33
After 5 months of prep (used OG and books provided by Jamboree) got 580 Q33/V36 Then got another 580 Q38/V33 after 17 days. Gave it again after 3 months (solved half of the magoosh questions+OG) 640 Q42/V35 gave it again today (solved all of magoosh and a lot of Veritas questions from their bank) 640 Q44/V34 . I need a detailed study plan to help me study. I am working full time and get and hour or two to study on a weekday and around 5-6 hours on the weekend.
I have been trying hard but I'm sure there is something wrong in my approach. I am weak at quant ,so have focused on it to a great extent. Please help!!

Posted from my mobile device

Hi

You should better focus on a solid study plan with sound strategy. Here is a study plan for you

Best Books

For learning Concepts

Manhattan Quant Guides
Manhattan Verbal Guides
For CR: The Powerscore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible
For RC: Aristotle RC Grail

For Practice

The Official Guide for GMAT 2015-18
The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review 2015-18
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2015-18

Best Courses

1. Empower GMAT
2. Math Revolution (Only Math)
3. E-GMAT (Only Verbal)

You can start with Quant or Verbal which suits you. If you have started with Quant then Start with the Arithmetic but if started with verbal then start first with Sentence correction. One month for learning Quant concepts and one month for practicing question and same practice for Verbal. During you Practicing question don't forget to make an error log to track your weak areas after practice. Once you know your weak areas revise your Concepts related to those areas and do some more Practice. 6-8 CATs are enough for practice the real tests. Make your Stamina for sitting 3 hours in the test and don't study more than 2 hours in one sit and 4 hours per day

Top CATs for Practice

1. Official GMAC CATs
2. Manhattan CATs
3. Kaplan CATs
4. GMAT Club Quant CATs

Good Luck
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Sohamv1 wrote:
I Have given the Gmat 5 times in the last one year. (Used Manhattan and
OG)Got 640 Q45/V33
After 5 months of prep (used OG and books provided by Jamboree) got 580 Q33/V36 Then got another 580 Q38/V33 after 17 days. Gave it again after 3 months (solved half of the magoosh questions+OG) 640 Q42/V35 gave it again today (solved all of magoosh and a lot of Veritas questions from their bank) 640 Q44/V34 . I need a detailed study plan to help me study. I am working full time and get and hour or two to study on a weekday and around 5-6 hours on the weekend.
I have been trying hard but I'm sure there is something wrong in my approach. I am weak at quant ,so have focused on it to a great extent. Please help!!

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Sohamv1,

Please do not be disheartened. GMAT does test your perseverance. I would encourage you to change your approach. For Quant, You can try out the Math revolution course as it is phenomenal and covers the entire syllabus really well. Plus it has great reviews on GMATCLUB. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Also for verbal, I would highly encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have a good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

I would also encourage you to purchase the GMATPREP QP 1 for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... ml?fl=menu

Lastly, you can check out a very interesting article by Mike McGarry from Magoosh detailing a 3 month study plan

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... -students/. You will find it very helpful as it gives out a study plan as per your needs.

Hope this helps. All the best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: CUHK '21 (II)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 4
Send PM
check below link , might be of some help : https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-to-do-i ... l#p2108758
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Sohamv1,

I'm a little late to this but hope my reply is still useful. I was in the same boat. After taking a live class with Manhattan Prep for $1700 and self-studying for a month after, I thought I would a rockstar on the GMAT. Needless to say, I was disappointed from only scoring a 640 (44Q,33V) on my first actual exam in July.

I changed up my studying habits. On days I felt that I had low motivation, I didn't study. I knew now that it would be just a waste of time. If I am not feeling it, I would just end up reading things and not retaining it. On days where I felt energized, I pushed on until I'm tired. My second exam I got a 700 (49Q, 35V) in September. I know I can boost this more as I made careless mistakes during the verbal side and didn't put enough time and stamina into RC but R1 deadlines are around the corner.

1st Exam Resources:

Manhattan Prep Live - I felt like I wasted the money but my instructor was nice. They focus mostly on Quant in my class and areas that were already my strong suit.

Manhattan Atlas - It wasn't that helpful as well. There's only 3 months of additional access after the class. After that they charge you $50 for an extension. I didn't buy it. You can still view old CATs and results.

Manhattan Prep Books Complete Set - These came with the class and they were amazing. I would highly recommend them. Do every problem set and make sure you understand the basic concepts if you want to improve on Quant.

Kaplan Prep 2019 - Didn't read it. Most of the material is the same as the OG Guide. I used the CATs. They were okay.

OG 2018 - I kept doing the problems. The first 100 on Quant were too easy. If you are already scoring 40+, I think you could ignore. The remaining ones, practice them.

GMAT PREP and EXAM 3 + 4 - These were a godsend. Error logs just didn't work for me as I got lazy. I made slides instead. I took every question I needed more familiarity with and read the solution. Then I redid it to make sure I understood and also formatted slides out of them. This worked the best for me.

2nd Exam Resources:

ESR + Manhattan Prep Books - The ESR is pricey for a couple pages of info that could've been fitted into two, I was one who didn't know my strengths or weaknesses. Using this, I was able to focus on certain areas. I reread the Manhattan Prep Books. I didn't get to the RC one.

Veritas Prep Exams - Excellent. I wouldn't use these to predict your score but some of these questions showed me tricks in Quant I didn't know about. They were more simplistic than the MGMT CATs and budget friendly. They run deals on them for $10-15 for 7 exams.

GMAT PREP and EXAM 3 + 4 - Don't do retakes to find your score but do it for the new questions that pop up. I knew my score was inflated but I wanted to see what other questions would they throw at me. I made slides on those again.

Thursdays with Ron - For some, they may be more hands on and visual learners. I didn't find out about these until I was close to approaching my second exam date. These videos are amazing and free. Watch them and follow along.
GMAT Club Bot