It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 12:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nerves got the better of me - tips on improving score?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Nerves got the better of me - tips on improving score? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 13:20
Hello,

I recently took my exam, after about 6 months of studying. I booked my test once I became confident I can do well. My practice test 3 days before the GMAT was 660. On the Official CATs I had 650 (CAT1) and 690 (CAT2, which I took about 7 days before my test).

The night before the test I didn't sleep well and my test was early morning. I was generally nervous throughout the test but really panicked during the Quant section, to the extent that I couldn't do basic math, got confused at every step, lost confidence completely, and mismanaged time. Although I completed all questions, I had to guess through a lot of them towards the end.

I ended up with 610 (v38 q36) :cry: My verbal performance was sort of in line with practice tests, but my quant performance was terrible as I was achieving up to Q49 on my practice tests. I think the panic attack had a lot to do with it, but I was hoping I can reach out to the community here for advice on how to improve my score. I am planning to resit my exam in about a month's time as I want to apply for R2 deadlines.

Any suggestions, tips, study plans etc. will be helpful :-)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 745 [2], given: 19

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Nerves got the better of me - tips on improving score? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 11:47
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Shazza

Your first step must be to order the ESR and find out what your exact problem areas are.
Once you have an ESR, the experts on the forum will be able to give you ways to improve your score!

From my experience these are a few links which might help you improve your scores
Link for Quant theory : https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-gma ... 44512.html

This is an awesome post which will definitely help you improve your Quant scores to Q49,50
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... 41670.html

A Q36 in the actual test mostly means you have made mistakes at almost all the 700+ level
questions. The GMATClub Mocks which have a lot of really good Quant questions can help you
build the stamina to solve 700+ level questions. IMO, you should focus on re-building the
concepts of your weak topics from the links given above.

Hope that helps you!

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Kudos [?]: 745 [2], given: 19

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 56

Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
WE: Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Nerves got the better of me - tips on improving score? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 03:42
Shazza wrote:
Hello,

I recently took my exam, after about 6 months of studying. I booked my test once I became confident I can do well. My practice test 3 days before the GMAT was 660. On the Official CATs I had 650 (CAT1) and 690 (CAT2, which I took about 7 days before my test).

The night before the test I didn't sleep well and my test was early morning. I was generally nervous throughout the test but really panicked during the Quant section, to the extent that I couldn't do basic math, got confused at every step, lost confidence completely, and mismanaged time. Although I completed all questions, I had to guess through a lot of them towards the end.

I ended up with 610 (v38 q36) :cry: My verbal performance was sort of in line with practice tests, but my quant performance was terrible as I was achieving up to Q49 on my practice tests. I think the panic attack had a lot to do with it, but I was hoping I can reach out to the community here for advice on how to improve my score. I am planning to resit my exam in about a month's time as I want to apply for R2 deadlines.

Any suggestions, tips, study plans etc. will be helpful :-)

Q36 implies that your basic concepts are not clear. You need to start studying the concepts from the textbooks.
You can start with the GmatClub Quant Guide.
You can follow all the posts of our Math Expert of GMATClub. This is his profile:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/members/member-73391.html

Follow these links may it help you
Best GMAT Courses
https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-co ... ml?fl=menu

GMAT Study Plan
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-p ... ml?fl=menu

Best Books for Quant
https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ma ... ml?fl=menu

Canadian Bschools: Detailed comparison
Resume Guides

If you found my post helpful, kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :) ..TIA

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 56

Nerves got the better of me - tips on improving score?   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2017, 03:42

Nerves got the better of me - tips on improving score?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap