Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 387 [172]
Given Kudos: 11
GPA: 8.7
WE 1: Software Design and Development
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [48]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [21]
Given Kudos: 636
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [6]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Never before had taxpayers confronted so many changes at once as they [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
Never before had taxpayers confronted so many changes at once as they had in the Tax Reform Act of 1986.

(A) so many changes at once as they had in
The non-underlined part uses the past perfect tense “had confronted”. The second event must hence be in the simple past tense- ‘confronted” and not “had (confronted) in the Tax Reform Act of 1986..
As many as is the correct idiom and not “so many as”. Eliminate

(B) at once as many changes as
“Changes” is compared to the Tax Reform Act. Eliminate.

(C) at once as many changes that there were with
“ As many as” is the correct idiom and not “as many that”

(D) as many changes at once as they confronted in
Correct.

(E) so many changes at once that confronted them in
Changes the meaning of the sentence. “So many that” is incorrect. Eliminate.

VP
GMAT SME
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Never before had taxpayers confronted so many changes at once as they [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
correct idiom is
As many as

So, C is out.

So X as Y is used to express quality rather than quantity. So, A is out.
B breaks //lism. Compares "many changes with Tax Reform".

I prefer D over E as E says "many changes" confronted the taxpayers.
So, IMO D
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [7]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Great work on this one, daagh - D it is! I like the way you broke that down:

1) Verb Tense

We clearly have a sequence of events: They had never before confronted comes before "they confronted" in 1986, so we can (and should) use past-perfect for the first portion but cannot use it for the second.

2) Comparisons

"As many as" is the correct structure

3) Let me also add "logical meaning".

Choice A actually could use the word "had" to mean "possessed" in the past-tense (and not "had confronted" in the past-perfect), but is that a logical meaning? Did the taxpayers "possess" or "own" those changes? No - they encountered, or "confronted" them, but they didn't "have" them. So A is, again, eliminated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2723 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Bookmarks
Never before had taxpayers confronted so many changes at once as they had in the Tax Reform Act of 1986.

A. so many changes at once as they had in

B. at once as many changes as

C. at once as many changes that there were with

D. as many changes at once as they confronted in

E. so many changes at once that confronted them

This SC is already posted in this forum,but i have very specific doubt. In option E we have idiom "so...that". How to know that usage is wrong in this context.
Please explain

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Let us look at it from a different angle; In re: to the comparison: We are trying to compare some changes that occurred earlier with the changes that occurred in the Tax Reform Act of 1986. A comparison that is started with either ‘so’ or ‘as’ should be completed with another ‘as’, per the tenets of comparison; the idiom is as X as Y or so X as Y. It may be seen E is missing the second comparator ‘as’.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
WRT (A) vs (D), I'm sure that the problem is not related to "so ... as" vs "as ... as" idioms.

what is wrong in (A)? Is "had" not right in this case? Could someone please elaborate?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
manhasnoname wrote:
WRT (A) vs (D), I'm sure that the problem is not related to "so ... as" vs "as ... as" idioms.

what is wrong in (A)? Is "had" not right in this case? Could someone please elaborate?

Hi manhasnoname, idiomatic usage is definitely an issue with A.

In addition, A incorrectly uses past perfect (had confronted) when it should be using simple past (confronted).

In general when there are two events that happened in the past, the event that happened later (in this case taxpayers confronting many changes in the Tax Reform Act of 1986) should be expressed in simple past.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Past perfect tense, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [1]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM