Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:Other (Insurance)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: New Member.. need some support [#permalink]
i actually just read about your story... getting 740 like that and using materials off the internet. im actually looking for some good online sources to study and practice from. To be honest i want to slap the crap out that exam and get a 700+ like you
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
chrisbar wrote:
i actually just read about your story... getting 740 like that and using materials off the internet. im actually looking for some good online sources to study and practice from. To be honest i want to slap the crap out that exam and get a 700+ like you

My suggestion would be to go through the following :

1. The 8 part Manhattan GMAT to get strong in your basics. You might get one second hand for low rates.

2. Try out the various problems posted on the gmatclub forums until you get the "feel" of the gmat questions. When you start feeling confident you can try out the questions on the official guide. You can also get the gmatclub tests package which I think is at a discounted price now. However, if you have the time and if you can make valuable contributions to the forum, you can collect kudos. 25 kudos will give you a free test.

3. Try out the CAT tests on all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html?fl=menu . Try to keep the official gmat prep tests to the last as these will be the closest approximation to the real tests.

4. What I did was once I started getting scores in the 700 range, I scheduled myself for the GMAT. I booked the date only about 5 days before I took the exam. I kept the gmat preptest for this period. That is, around 4 tests in 4 days. I did not take any on the day just before the exam.

I cannot say that this will work for everyone. It did for me.

All the best for your GMAT... :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
i appreciate it bro... im going to order the manhatten 8 set, and try and see if i can go through those properly and restablish my basics and get a feel of the questions on the website and the official guide as you said. thats probably the best thing for me. if i need a coach or anything else i can pm u right? dont worry i dont nag lol.

Also im going to start reading 'The Economist' to help with my verbal, when im on my lunchbreak or something. I'll just load it up on my phone.

On the off chance you ever come down to jamaica and need suggestions on where to go out hit me up !
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [0]
Send PM
chrisbar wrote:
i appreciate it bro... im going to order the manhatten 8 set, and try and see if i can go through those properly and restablish my basics and get a feel of the questions on the website and the official guide as you said. thats probably the best thing for me. if i need a coach or anything else i can pm u right? dont worry i dont nag lol.

Also im going to start reading 'The Economist' to help with my verbal, when im on my lunchbreak or something. I'll just load it up on my phone.

On the off chance you ever come down to jamaica and need suggestions on where to go out hit me up !

Feel free man... Everone here is always ready to help.. Will do my best possible...

The west indies does seem like a fun place... Hope I do visit some time.. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 08-04-2012
GPA: 3.3
WE:Accounting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
chrisbar wrote:
hey guys... boy im at an all time low right now. i came out of a gmat exam and got lets just say between 400 and 500 which to me is embarassing...im a biit better at math than i am at english. i did some practice tests before my exams too and mostly scored mid 500's to low 600's. Apart from nerves getting to me i think i need alot more practice in verbal.

I have decided though... that i wont let my low grade get me down, i know what im capable of, and i plan to attempt the gmat once again. I really hate giving up and im really going to try and make a positive out of this situation. I live in jamaica, so i know that if i'd like to standout of have a chance against other international applicants i need to solidify my chances.

any advice would be great, especially tips on how to work on my verbal aspect, math also but the verbal is so much more important at this point.

Im just another person with a dream and a goal determined to make it happen.

_

I am in the same boat as you. I bombed the GMAT by scoring between 400 and 500. I agree with MacFauz because Manhattan GMAT books are the best resources out there. I have used Veritas Prep material but it was more problem based than explanations. I used the Foundation of GMAT Math to improve my math skills. I have to add that I graduated in 2004 so my math skills were very rusty.

I am not working in my field of study and I have found it difficult to retain my skills I learned in college. Also, I put lots of pressure on myself to get a 700 but I realized that I have to take baby steps. First, I have to get into the 500’s then the 600’s and so on. I also keep goals throughout my apartment. I studied close to eight months or even longer. My brain could no longer retain any information and I let my frustrations get to me but we live and we learn. To make matters worse, I am a native speaker of English and I bombed the verbal part. I was not surprised with my quantitative score because my practice test scores were the same but my verbal was off by 10 points or more. I am letting the material come to me naturally and if it doesn’t I just take a note of the problem and come back to it later. If you get frustrated just take a break and do something else productive such as working out, watching TV, hanging out with friends, or running errands. I learned the hard way.

I am trying to organize a study group but I will continue studying on my own until I find some people to study with.

Check out the thread below. AbhiJ always give useful information.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/570-to-710-seven-do-nots-of-gmat-144157.html#p1165701
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
I second the 8 book MGMAT book series. I also think you need to drill yourself by doing timed problem sets of 1:15 in 3 sessions in a row. You have to condition your mind and body for the endurance required to perform to the best of your ability on the real thing
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks guys! for all the support. im getting started on round 2 of preparations... im alot les intimidated now and took a breather. my mom went to canada recently... so i had an opportunity to ship MGMAT 8 to her and have her bring em down as well as the OG. gonna focus on verbal first.
GMAT Club Bot