Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [0]
Given Kudos: 18860
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: New to GMAT Club - Post Your Questions Here [#permalink]
bb wrote:
There are two general approaches to studying anything including GMAT, and one of them is going through questions, making mistakes and then figuring out why. The second one is studying the material and only then going through questions, usually making fewer mistakes and then understanding why are you still made mistakes. Both processes work. Both have their advantages and each has its fans. However, for me and in my experience, using a book or some kind of a study plan or guide is a more efficient and streamlined approach. This does involve learning some materials and rules that you may not quite understand why you’re learning. But I feel deficiencies in trade-offs a worth it. If you’re studying using questions, and you base all your learning on that, you will potentially end up spending quite a bit of time chasing the topics and chasing material, you are assuming that you’ll hit all the topics and finally you are not following a certain progression in difficulty or topics. For example do you really need to start with probability or perhaps fractions would be a better spot. It can also get frustrating was just doing questions, especially in verbal where strategies are so important. Doing questions over and over may help you figure out strategies on your own but I would say it’s unlikely that she will come up with the best approaches and strategies and the question is why. Why not buy a $10 book from Manhattan about critical reasoning and learn all the approaches and strategies instead of inventing them on your own. However, I have seen people who have used the question approach and they thought doing 3 to 5000 questions will give them a great score and for many it did. On the other hand, you can probably get away with doing 1000 practice questions if you have a guidebook. Once you know a topic, you can move on… 🤷‍♂️ but I totally understand there is diversity in approaches and how peoples minds work and for some people doing it question by question is the only way. I just wanted to highlight the differences and approaches. Frankly, do what works best for you. I just wouldn’t assume that it will work miracles for everyone else 😇 Posted from my mobile device

Omg, you are so kind! Thank you very much for the great and complete advise! I see, there are a lot of approaches types and maybe mine cant work for someone. Maybe I got a little cocky, because I already saw a lot of people that pay a lot of money for gym or english schools, but they were using that as a excuse to believe they were doing something for themselfs. And I got a lot of results by understanding that I must pay the real price, while they were losing a lot of money by dont paying the price they musted to. And that is really sad to me, so I wanted to warn you all, but sorry if I sounded unpleasant.

I have a friend that passed in one of the BIG3 Business Consultants. He recomended a book called Kaplan. It should be a good book.
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5736 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dan1111, STAY AWAY FROM KAPLAN. Yes, I wrote that in all caps on purpose
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
I used Kaplan books for my 750 😱😱😱
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Send PM
Expert Reply
bb, probably brought you down from 780

283LSF, my opinion, as others clearly have differing opinions, is that they suck. Flat out suck. They steal your money in two ways: 1. the way they teach you to take the exam is based on tricks and not real strategies. 2. their questions, verbally, are the worst I’ve ever seen. You fall into terrible habits solving those problems

Originally posted by nightblade354 on 08 Feb 2023, 12:58.
Last edited by nightblade354 on 08 Feb 2023, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
😂 I guess in comparison with Princeton it was amazing…. What do you recommend Nightblade?

fYI- I was a mess when I studied for the gmat and I did not use the OG. That was a mistake so perhaps I did kneecap a 780 😂 but I felt Kaplan books were on target. I did not like the general one as much. Too shallow but I loved the math and verbal workbooks 🤷‍♂️

Originally posted by bb on 08 Feb 2023, 13:09.
Last edited by bb on 08 Feb 2023, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5736 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bb, I think you and I, shockingly, share some opinion on best-in-class services. TTP and Magoosh are fine in my mind. I’ve heard good things about Empower from Souvik (didn’t see them on your list). At the end of the day, you have to find a program that works for you and speaks to you -- you’ll know it when you see it
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Not much choice these days for books … mgmat, powerscore (verbal only) or Kaplan… there are some others such as old Veritas or Princeton but why bother
Current Student
Send PM
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
Not much choice these days for books … mgmat, powerscore (verbal only) or Kaplan… there are some others such as old Veritas or Princeton but why bother

Powerscore 10 times out of 10 for a verbal book. MGAT for supplemental mocks. That’s how I would do it based on this
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
ah. I don’t think Kaplan has anything except books anymore. They don’t offer GMAT classes…. Just books.

Ah. I take it you used powerscore for lsat fun?

Originally posted by bb on 08 Feb 2023, 13:14.
Last edited by bb on 08 Feb 2023, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
Ah. I take it you used powerscore for lsat fun?

For the beginning of my studies. By the end, I was using 7-Sage. The fundamentals are as solid as they come for Powerscore CR. I just needed a new approach towards the end and wanted some instruction and guidance beyond self-study
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Which one to prefer for GMAT verbal preparation?
Manhattan books or eGMAT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello every one.
I planning to prepare for GMAT.
After 07 years of graduation now i am thinking to prepare for GMAT.

Anyone plz guide me ...how to prepare for Verbal section and resource.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bisoyirabi111 wrote:
Hello every one. I planning to prepare for GMAT. After 07 years of graduation now i am thinking to prepare for GMAT. Anyone plz guide me ...how to prepare for Verbal section and resource.

like I was saying before, I believe in bank of quesrtions because you adopt a active posture to the study. But people also uses books, and we were discussing with one its better. I think worth it to take a look on the previous mensages.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hello there, can anynone plz say to me how I reach my bookmark from my home page? I saved 2 questions whose the answers still will be posted.

Dan1111 wrote:
hello there, can anynone plz say to me how I reach my bookmark from my home page? I saved 2 questions whose the answers still will be posted.

nevermind

Originally posted by Dan1111 on 09 Feb 2023, 04:37.
Last edited by Dan1111 on 09 Feb 2023, 04:38, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Welcome any suggestions to improve the navigation process 😇Dan1111
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Hello, I am getting a notification that says exceeded the limit of DMs. Could someone help me with what the limit is and how to address this issue?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi. You need more reputation. This is a spam protection feature 😇 so you need posts and maybe time to make sure you have been registered for a week.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  35   36   37   38   39  ...  240