GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 10:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

New to GmatClub. Aiming for 720+.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: New to GmatClub. Aiming for 720+.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 21:40
Hi Kaczet,

"Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix'). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about your last CAT (the Q49). While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Imperial '21
New to GmatClub. Aiming for 720+.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 01:47
Hello Rich! ;)

Please find below concise answers to questions you asked.

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?

Of the first 10 mistakes, 3 were wrong (i.e. 3rd, 5th, 7th) - all of them were silly mistakes. When I read, I sometimes fail to read the question correctly, i.e. I fail to notice crucial words, such as 'odd/even'.

2) Because there was some math that you just could not remember how to do?

This may not be the case. I mean, I knew how to do these Qs, but I failed to remember some basics. I mean I generally remember these rules but I didn't realize, while handling the question, that I was supposed to make use of a particular knowledge/rule. ex. that the remainder, when a number is divided by 7, must be in 0 to 7-1 range. This is obvious but I somehow didn't remember this type of basics when undertaking a question.
I've always been good at math: combinatorics and probability, which is pure math, have always been easy to me. But I often fail to remember crucial rules.

3) Because the question was too hard?

I encountered one question that I couldn't handle at all. This was the first time I saw this type of question.

4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?

I had ~15 minutes for last 3 questions, so I focused as much as I could and exploited the remaining time properly.

Going to take the real test in November...

21.07.2018 OG gmat prep 400 (Q26,V20)
28.07.2018 OG gmat prep 550 (Q42,V23)
04.08.2018 MGMAT 680 (Q50,V31)
12.08.2018 MGMAT 680 (Q49, V33)
06.10.2018 Economist xxx (Q??, V38) - tested the verbal part only.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: New to GmatClub. Aiming for 720+.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 14:26
Hi Kaczet,

If you really had 15 minutes for the last 3 questions - and you regularly have that type of 'excess time' at the end of the section when you take your CATs - then your immediate issues are that you are moving too fast and not taking the proper notes. THOSE issues are keeping you from scoring higher (and as an aside, trying to do work 'in your head' is the WORST way to approach a GMAT question, so you should never approach a question in that way).

Here's a simple way to measure whether you're taking the proper notes or not: if you handed your work pad to another person, would that person understand all of the information that you were given in the prompt, the question that you were trying to answer and the 'steps' that you had worked through? If the answer to any of those questions is 'no', then you have NOT taken enough notes. After reviewing all of these questions, if you can honestly say that you have the ability to answer most of them correctly - then your "process" is the issue. What WORK (on the pad) are you willing to do to make sure that you get those points? Most of the questions on the GMAT are actually fairly straight-forward: you have to organize some information, think about everything you've been given, work through a few 'steps' and confirm that you are actually answering the question that is ASKED. You likely have the intelligence and ability to score far higher than you currently are scoring - and I'm almost certain that you're not doing enough physical work right now to EARN those points.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Imperial '21
New to GmatClub. Aiming for 720+.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 11:57
Someone did delete my comment. Nvm.

I feel like I've already mastered the quant section enough to score Q50, I just need to get rid of silly mistakes. Let's hope I stay calm on the test day. By the time it is mid-November, I'll probably have sat the real thing.
As I'm working 15+ hours a day now (+ some work on weekends), I can't do any rehearsal. I'm scheduling the exam asap so my knowledge stays the same till the very end. Q50, V32 would please me. Wish me good luck.

Thank you, Rich. You were of a great help.

Going to take the real test in November...

21.07.2018 OG gmat prep 400 (Q26,V20)
28.07.2018 OG gmat prep 550 (Q42,V23)
04.08.2018 MGMAT 680 (Q50,V31)
12.08.2018 MGMAT 680 (Q49, V33)
06.10.2018 Economist xxx (Q??, V38) - tested the verbal part only.

GMAT Club Bot
New to GmatClub. Aiming for 720+. &nbs [#permalink] 23 Sep 2018, 11:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

New to GmatClub. Aiming for 720+.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap