Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Finance and Accounting
Schools:UPenn, UMich, HKS, UCB, Chicago
 Q51  V34
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V34
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [1]
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Re: Newbie from Turkey [#permalink]
Kudos
OK, I just wanted to clarify that and I was crious of grading system overthere. Your GPA is decent, it won't get you in but definitely won't ruin your application either.

Is your government ready to sponsor your studies only in US or Europe is in the game too? If they want only US, maybe you should think about some MSc program on some well regarded institution. They will concentrate on your academic background, which is very good in your case, and especially on your quant abilities, which are tremendous, according to your Q51 in GMAT Prep.

That way, you could avoid all leadership and heroic achievements issues and focus on showing them strong academic potential. You could easily (however, take this "easily" with a grain of salt) get admitted to some MSc program on one of the institutions you've listed. If your government is sponsoring you and if you have intention to get back to Turkey, to your current employer, that should be pretty convenient for you.
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V34
Send PM
Pathfinder, I think you are very clever. That's the way I want to do. My government sponsor my masters degree, either in Ms in finance or MBA, either in the US or in Europe. The only restriction is that they can only sponsor good universities. That is to say, e.g. the 20 best in Europe and the 100 best in the US. I want to come back to Turkey and work for my government. I work for finance ministry as a tax auditor. So finance and accounting is my jobs most needed areas. Do you think can I be admitted to MS Finance in Sloan or Wharton or Harvard with a good GMAT? Thanks again.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72870 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
maliyeci wrote:
Pathfinder, I think you are very clever. That's the way I want to do. My government sponsor my masters degree, either in Ms in finance or MBA, either in the US or in Europe. The only restriction is that they can only sponsor good universities. That is to say, e.g. the 20 best in Europe and the 100 best in the US. I want to come back to Turkey and work for my government. I work for finance ministry as a tax auditor. So finance and accounting is my jobs most needed areas. Do you think can I be admitted to MS Finance in Sloan or Wharton or Harvard with a good GMAT? Thanks again.

You can see this thread that specifically discussed this question: is-my-gmat-score-good-enough-merged-77431.html
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [1]
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Kudos
maliyeci wrote:

Thank you for addressing my cleverness :) , but I am just speaking from my experience - intelligence has nothing with that.

Anyway, you have a very broad set of very attractive options and the toughest part will be shortilisting the programs. For that you might want to look for the oppinion of admission consultants on this forum. Just give them a detailed profile and they will point you to some direction. I've done that and got some pretty useful info.

Yes, I think that you should be competitive for MSc programs at top schools. I cannot tell you specificaly for the schools you mentioned because I don't know the details of their MSc programs. Anyway, explore the MSc programs at top universities, apply to couple of them and I can bet you are going to be admitted to at least one of them.
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V34
Send PM
Thanks BB, I looked at that topic, after you say.

Thanks again pathfinder. After your suggestion, I looked for some MS programs. I found especially, sloan MsFinance and Princeton MsFinance programs very attractive. And I heard some mba programs like booth, wharton and haas are very competitive in finance area.

I will try to develop my verbal skills and try to be admitted to those programs.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V34
Send PM
This weekend I did 800score.com's first gmat practice. Got a 720 (49Q 40V). I was very sad about quant score but after I saw verbal score I became very happy. So far so good. Hope to take that kind of a verbal in real exam and a quant score in my gmatprep exams :D
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V34
Send PM
Did gmatclub test 25
m25 33 37 89% 73.4075 sec 1250 93%
Did very quick but I need some carefullness.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [1]
 Q51  V34
Send PM
Kudos
I scheduled my gmat exam to sept. 18th
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V34
Send PM
Today I did gmatprep1 second time. After first attempt, a lot time has passed, so I did not notice repeats.
Scored 720 (q51, v35). 2 errors in quant and 11 in verbal. A good score I think. There are 4 weeks left and I think I can reach to 740 or even 750 in this time. Tomorrow I will try gmatprep2. Hope to get a score like this.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72870 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
maliyeci wrote:
Today I did gmatprep1 second time. After first attempt, a lot time has passed, so I did not notice repeats.
Scored 720 (q51, v35). 2 errors in quant and 11 in verbal. A good score I think. There are 4 weeks left and I think I can reach to 740 or even 750 in this time. Tomorrow I will try gmatprep2. Hope to get a score like this.

Why are you taking two gmatpreps in a row? Do you think something changed significantly over a 24 period?

Save the second gmatprep until 2 weeks or a week before the test to boost your confidence and also give you the final last reality check. Use some other tests such as MGMAT, Kaplan, PR, etc to practice - plenty here: all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V34
Send PM
You are right. But I thought, if I take this test now, I will have enough time to forget the questions. Because, I am planning to take them on september 16th and 17th, just before the exam on september 18th. As I said, you are right, I will take this test one week later. I will do 800score.com's second test today. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V34
Send PM
Got same on 800score test 2. (720 51q, 35v). What will I do for this verbal :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [1]
 Q51  V34
Send PM
Kudos
Did 2 tests on weekend.
Manhattan gmat: My performance was very very bad. 44q 33v and 640. How did it happen, I do not know. The quants were too hard. Verbal had come easy but score was low.
Powerprep: 710 51q(no errors) and 33v. Verbal had come easy but score was low too.

I am loosing my hope to get 740+ after these tests. It seems my score will be around 700-720.
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V34
Send PM
Last 6 days to prepare.
Took gmat prep1 today. Some repeats. But a lot of different questions. 720 51q35v.

Did some unforced errors in quant. But the raw score is good.

In verbal, I feel very good in the exam, my time pace is good. I am doing good on RC and CR (2 errors each) but in SC I am doing very bad. Although, I reduce the options to 2 or 3, I am doing error.

This 6 days, I will study SC most. Planning to finish Manhattan SC second time and doing the document that has 200 gmatprep SC questions.

Hope to increase verbal to 40.
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V34
Send PM
Working for 3-4 days at home. Did gmatprep2 today. 680(51q 31v). I do not want to believe this score. I am studying for weeks over verbal and no improvement!!!

Doing the yellow OG book same time. At this book, I have a good error rate on CR and RC (about %10 percent error rate) But in gmatprep I did so many CR and RC errors (3-4 each). SC is my worst part yet.
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V34
Send PM
:) It is 11pm here and I am going to take the test tomorrow 9:30 am. Less than 11 hours.

Pray for me
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1825 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q49  V29
Send PM
Kudos
Good Luck.....Don't carry over with your Prep scores........Stay calm and things will work out your way(Easier said than done). Do post your experience once you are back from the exam. :gl
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts