GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 12:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Nontraditional Subjects

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Nontraditional Subjects  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 09:58
I am having some difficulty with identifying non traditional subjects for plurality reasons

example question- Whether brick-and-mortar bank locations will survive this era of online payments and digital transfers are debatable.
correct answer- in this era of online payments and digital transfers is debatable

Whether is the subject, so you use "is" which is singular

I was never formally thought English but i have spoken it all my life. I knew the answer to this question subconsciously because the "is" just sounded correct to me and the "are" felt awkward. I didn't know whether was the subject. I'm trying to step away from relying on my ear and now trying to answer questions logically. But i realized i'm not exactly sure how to identify subjects logically when they are non-traditional (not nouns). i can't seem to find any resources about it

My question is how do you identify a non traditional subject?
and when you do identify it how do you know its plurality? (are there any specific rules to it)

Are there any resources available? or experts willing to share some insight
Thank You
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Nontraditional Subjects  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 11:40
pesik wrote:
I am having some difficulty with identifying non traditional subjects for plurality reasons

example question- Whether brick-and-mortar bank locations will survive this era of online payments and digital transfers are debatable.
correct answer- in this era of online payments and digital transfers is debatable

Whether is the subject, so you use "is" which is singular

I was never formally thought English but i have spoken it all my life. I knew the answer to this question subconsciously because the "is" just sounded correct to me and the "are" felt awkward. I didn't know whether was the subject. I'm trying to step away from relying on my ear and now trying to answer questions logically. But i realized i'm not exactly sure how to identify subjects logically when they are non-traditional (not nouns). i can't seem to find any resources about it

My question is how do you identify a non traditional subject?
and when you do identify it how do you know its plurality? (are there any specific rules to it)

Are there any resources available? or experts willing to share some insight
Thank You

Hi,

I am no expert but i would strongly recommend the 8. SUBJECT/VERB AGREEMENT & PLACEMENT section of the GMAT Club's Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book.

You can go through the post on the forum with the title Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia for more resources.

PS: Would have loved to share the direct links to the posts, but the forum is blocking me as of now.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2018, 07:59
i just went through the grammar book, it seems to only cover traditional subjects.
doesnt really cover when the subject is something like How or Whether or something non traditional

Are there any other resources available?... or atleast keywords i should use to search the forum
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2018, 11:04
Hi pesik, the procedure to identify the subject in this sentence is actually no different from the procedure to identify the subject in any other sentence.

Since subject is the doer of the verb, we need to find the doer of the verb (in this case doer of verb is/are).

Hence, to find the doer, we ask the question: What is/are debatable?

The answer: Whether brick-and-mortar bank locations will survive this era of online payments.

Hence we know that the subject is: Whether brick-and-mortar bank locations will survive this era of online payments.

Now is the tricky part. We need to realize that this subject itself is a clause. A handy rule to remember is that when a clause is the subject, the subject is always singular. Hence, is is the correct verb that should be used.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana has a section on Clause as the subject. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Clause as subject.pdf [11.66 KiB]
Downloaded 7 times

To download please login or register as a user

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Re: Nontraditional Subjects &nbs [#permalink] 05 Jul 2018, 11:04

Nontraditional Subjects

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap